Late NGD, Really Late Introduction

KThaxton

So, I joined just over a year ago.....but I've been too lazy to type this up and more importantly....too lazy to go through the whole picture posting rigmarole....but it's time.

Name is Kendall, I'm 51, live in Utah and have played since I was roughly 13....but don't let that fool you, I'm still not any good. I worked in a music store for about 4 years in my late teens early 20's, First doing piano deliveries and minor guitar repair, then combo sales and guitar repair.

As the 80's being my music formative years, I was always a Charvel/Jackson and Ibanez guy. I remember seeing PRS show up but didn't pay a whole of attention. Then at the Winter NAMM (1992?) when the first Dragon appeared, I took note. I've always appreciated the wood and appearance of PRS...but again....80's guy. Then for whatever reason a few years ago, PRS's kept popping up in Sweetwater and other adds on Facebook. They started to speak to me, as you all understand, and so I started to learn the models.

As I mentioned, I am not really a good player and I have a couple sort of expensive hobbies so Core is not in my near future....so as I learned about SE's I decided it was time....and I had not bought a new electric in 30 years! I had a Charvel from my music store days and made a trade with my brother in law for another Charvel about 15 years ago....so big dry spell. So I in the fall of 2021 I talked the wife into an early birthday/Christmas and bought an SE Custom 24-08. Absolutely love it. Made all the usual upgrades....locking tuners, lampshade knobs, Pure Tone Jack and a Switchcraft 3-way toggle (this was very welcomed and needed).

42y9POU.jpg

Kind of a side story.....since I was getting back into guitar a bit more seriously (I told the wife, I buy gear, I get motivated, since she is a musician, she's ok with this!)....and since I am not a good player but still enjoying looking at them, having this new guitar prompted me to want to remodel our basement to more appropriately display them (except the acoustics, they stay in their cases). Painted everything, hung wooden planks, lighting (of course!) and new carpet, this guitar ended up costing me a lot of money!

0MUkXN7.jpg

Around late summer of last year.....I started getting the itch again and the SE 245's price is hard to ignore....so once again, I nicely asked wifey for another early birthday/Christmas present. She was on board....bless her heart. Initially, I was looking at the all mahogany standard but then the charcoal burst began to speak to me. I realized how it can be difficult to find a visually stunning piece of flame veneer so I was keeping my eyes peeled and selection was pretty low....and I am impatient.

Anyway, late September, I got a text from my Sweetwater sales rep, saying "secret sale, all guitar stuff, but you have to call". I didn't really think they'd discount a PRS, but thought it was worth a try. I called....and he said he'd knock a $100 off, so I couldn't pass this up. Their site said they had one in inventory, visually, it was ok and wanted the deal so I pulled the trigger. However, sales guy said they sold it and they were out of stock until October 5th so I said put me on the list.

Oct 5th came around and I got a text that said, "now expected November 30th". So this was an exercise in patience. However, 2 weeks later I am mountain biking in Moab with my son and get a message saying they have "one" and it's mine if I want it. I'm thinking "great, only one, so I can't choose my favorite and I am too impatient to wait". After getting to good cell service (again, biking in the desert), I called asked if I could see it on their site he says "hold on, I'll email pics to you". Then says "oh this one is beautiful". I'm thinking....right mr. sales guy. I get the email, and it was perfect! (to me anyway). So I pulled the trigger.

I feel so lucky, because a week or so later, other models showed up on their site and quite frankly, were some of the most uninspiring grain patterns I had seen.

I also did the same mods as my Custom 24-08....except.....I though the amber lampshades would look good as they kind of tie in with the maple edge grain...but I think I like the stock ones better so I put them back on. Love this grain with its odd pattern on the lower bought.

Anyway, that was long winded!

TwUbXAp.jpg

bHI2EpQ.jpg

9OIGgsh.jpg

Real nice, and welcome! I really like your space. I totally get wanting to pretty it up for the guitar!

Welcome! I don't usually like the charcoal bursts. I like yours! Beautiful guitars, and perfect mods to the SE's. Cool room also, I'm a bit jealous!

So, I joined just over a year ago.....but I've been too lazy to type this up and more importantly....too lazy to go through the whole picture posting rigmarole....but it's time.

Name is Kendall, I'm 51, live in Utah and have played since I was roughly 13....but don't let that fool you, I'm still not any good. I worked in a music store for about 4 years in my late teens early 20's, First doing piano deliveries and minor guitar repair, then combo sales and guitar repair.

As the 80's being my music formative years, I was always a Charvel/Jackson and Ibanez guy. I remember seeing PRS show up but didn't pay a whole of attention. Then at the Winter NAMM (1992?) when the first Dragon appeared, I took note. I've always appreciated the wood and appearance of PRS...but again....80's guy. Then for whatever reason a few years ago, PRS's kept popping up in Sweetwater and other adds on Facebook. They started to speak to me, as you all understand, and so I started to learn the models.

As I mentioned, I am not really a good player and I have a couple sort of expensive hobbies so Core is not in my near future....so as I learned about SE's I decided it was time....and I had not bought a new electric in 30 years! I had a Charvel from my music store days and made a trade with my brother in law for another Charvel about 15 years ago....so big dry spell. So I in the fall of 2021 I talked the wife into an early birthday/Christmas and bought an SE Custom 24-08. Absolutely love it. Made all the usual upgrades....locking tuners, lampshade knobs, Pure Tone Jack and a Switchcraft 3-way toggle (this was very welcomed and needed).

42y9POU.jpg

Kind of a side story.....since I was getting back into guitar a bit more seriously (I told the wife, I buy gear, I get motivated, since she is a musician, she's ok with this!)....and since I am not a good player but still enjoying looking at them, having this new guitar prompted me to want to remodel our basement to more appropriately display them (except the acoustics, they stay in their cases). Painted everything, hung wooden planks, lighting (of course!) and new carpet, this guitar ended up costing me a lot of money!

0MUkXN7.jpg

Around late summer of last year.....I started getting the itch again and the SE 245's price is hard to ignore....so once again, I nicely asked wifey for another early birthday/Christmas present. She was on board....bless her heart. Initially, I was looking at the all mahogany standard but then the charcoal burst began to speak to me. I realized how it can be difficult to find a visually stunning piece of flame veneer so I was keeping my eyes peeled and selection was pretty low....and I am impatient.

Anyway, late September, I got a text from my Sweetwater sales rep, saying "secret sale, all guitar stuff, but you have to call". I didn't really think they'd discount a PRS, but thought it was worth a try. I called....and he said he'd knock a $100 off, so I couldn't pass this up. Their site said they had one in inventory, visually, it was ok and wanted the deal so I pulled the trigger. However, sales guy said they sold it and they were out of stock until October 5th so I said put me on the list.

Oct 5th came around and I got a text that said, "now expected November 30th". So this was an exercise in patience. However, 2 weeks later I am mountain biking in Moab with my son and get a message saying they have "one" and it's mine if I want it. I'm thinking "great, only one, so I can't choose my favorite and I am too impatient to wait". After getting to good cell service (again, biking in the desert), I called asked if I could see it on their site he says "hold on, I'll email pics to you". Then says "oh this one is beautiful". I'm thinking....right mr. sales guy. I get the email, and it was perfect! (to me anyway). So I pulled the trigger.

I feel so lucky, because a week or so later, other models showed up on their site and quite frankly, were some of the most uninspiring grain patterns I had seen.

I also did the same mods as my Custom 24-08....except.....I though the amber lampshades would look good as they kind of tie in with the maple edge grain...but I think I like the stock ones better so I put them back on. Love this grain with its odd pattern on the lower bought.

TwUbXAp.jpg

bHI2EpQ.jpg

9OIGgsh.jpg
Nice

Great story, great guitars, and that room! Come do mine next!!!

The SE245 was a real sleeper in the SE line. Something special about that combination of the singlecut, thick body and mahogany neck with the stoptail bridge. Some of the best SE’s I played since the switch to Cortek were 245’s, and they honestly might have been some of the best SE’s I ever played, period. Sadly no longer in the lineup with the addition of the 594, which I understand, but there was a unique personality there. I’m taking my SE Akesson to the grave (basically an SE245).

Great choice of guitars to get some variety.

Looks like you have some room for an HDRX head and 1x12, too…

Welcome!

and that firey Charvel Model 5 on the wall!!! Very 80s, but those are really great guitars.

42y9POU.jpg

0MUkXN7.jpg

TwUbXAp.jpg

bHI2EpQ.jpg

9OIGgsh.jpg

Congratulations and welcome if I haven’t said it before.

Welcome to club SE245. We’re a select few (band is misfits).

Good to see you’ve gone for Amber lampshades, which of course make everything better.

Great looking music room.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Welcome!

and that firey Charvel Model 5 on the wall!!! Very 80s, but those are really great guitars.

I love that thing.....I got one heck of a deal in trade with my bro in law for it....but someone had installed "Charvel" pickups from a Charvette in it and some other odd quirkiness.
I have since installed:
-Seymour Duncan JB SH-6 in the bridge
-Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2 in the neck
-Replaced that lousy Jackson trem with a Gotoh GE 1996t (awesome trem!)
-Tremol-No
-Added coil splitting like the PRS 24-08's with two mini toggles (but I did this about 15 years ago, this is why I chose the Custom 24-08 as my first PRS...I like those options).

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I love that thing.....I got one heck of a deal in trade with my bro in law for it....but someone had installed "Charvel" pickups from a Charvette in it and some other odd quirkiness.
I have since installed:
-Seymour Duncan JB SH-6 in the bridge
-Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2 in the neck
-Replaced that lousy Jackson trem with a Gotoh GE 1996t (awesome trem!)
-Tremol-No
-Added coil splitting like the PRS 24-08's with two mini toggles (but I did this about 15 years ago, this is why I chose the Custom 24-08 as my first PRS...I like those options).
Sweet! And that JT6 was a piece of crap. Had a model 6 abd changed that with a schaller. Best guitar I had, until I got to PRS.

Sweet! And that JT6 was a piece of crap. Had a model 6 abd changed that with a schaller. Best guitar I had, until I got to PRS.

Yeah, junk of a tremolo. I don't know if there were ever any variations to the JT-6 or if a previous owner made some changes.....but mine didn't have the square, knurled platforms on the saddles (assume someone swapped the saddle blocks) and the nut had regular allen bolts and not the large slotted ones. These were good mods in my opinion.

This guitar actually started out as a Model 5FX, but at some point in its past someone removed the neck single coil, routed it out, and installed a humbucker (also a good mod other than I acquired it with the Charvel pickups).

My other Charvel is a "Predator" that came with the Schaller JT-590, much better than the JT-6.....but has the crappy pot metal base plate. I've had to tap and heli-coil 4-5 of the saddle screws. Otherwise a great trem.

The Gotoh is a really nice unit. Some like it better than the OFR, much cheaper too.

Back