NENaBD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by bodia, Nov 26, 2019.

1. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

New Everyone Needs A Beater Day! AKA...it was my duty to rescue this one. It's a long read.....

I've said in multiple threads that I wanted to add a Mira to my pile. I got a "Here's your new Mira" text, and a link, from Sergio on the 13th. I open the link on my phone to find a listing for an SE Mira in excellent condition, for $500.00. The description was lifted from some stores description of the 2020 Mira. It was obvious that this was a Core Mira. The pics looked good on my phone, but it was pictured with a tweed Fender case. Several texts go back and forth. I was in the middle of lunch with the Mrs and she asked what I was texting about, and with whom. I told her who, what, and how stupidly low priced it was cuz dude doesn't know what he has. I tell her I'm gonna pass. She comes back, "do you want it?" Well, duh! "If it is that good a price, you should buy it! I mean, you could always sell it for more." Done! Completed the deal on the Reverb app on my phone. This was Wednesday, the 13th.

Thursday morning I get a message from the seller thanking me for the order, and letting me know that he might be able to ship it that day, but if he couldn't he wouldn't be able to until Monday, the 18th. Wanted to know if I was ok with that. I was. In the mean time, I look at the order on my 24" PC monitor, and start gazing at the pics. Hmmm, it looks like there might be a couple of dings on it. I can't tell from the pics, so I save a couple to the desk top and blow them up. Ummm, this thing is has more than a few marks. It's nowhere close to "Excellent" condition. WTF!!!!!! I get a little worked up, and then calm down. After all, it's still really cheap. I sit back and wait to get shipping info. Two o'clock on the 18th I get a message from the seller. "Hey man, my listing didn't include the case. I can ship the guitar wrapped up really good, or you can send me $50.00 for the case.

Are you kidding me!!!!!!! I message him back that I am not willing to take the guitar wrapped up, and I am not willing to pay an extra $50 for the case. I went on to tell him I didn't appreciate his listing, and not mentioning the true condition, nor not show photos of the dings, etc. I close with "maybe we should just call it a day. Thoughts?" I hear back from him that I was right. Gives an apology. Yeah, it's got a few "Character marks". He's willing to throw the case in for free. Says he can ship it today (18th) if I still want it. Being the idiot I am, I say "sure, ship it." I figure he needs to come up with something about the case because there was no way it was fitting into the Fender case it was shown on. Mira is too wide, and too long, to fit in that case.

I hear nothing until Wednesday, the 20th.

"Hey man, I'm shipping it today".....I'm cool with that.

"Hey, can you send some more money? PayPal dinged me for fees. Can you send like $20 more?"

NO, I'm not sending more money! Tell you what, just cancel the order, and refund the money.

"Dude, I already shipped it!"

Ok, fine. Can you give me tracking info?

No response.

Thursday morning...Hey, can you give me tracking?

No response.

Friday morning...Hey, can you at least tell me if it's coming FedEx or UPS? I've got accounts with both and haven't gotten shipping notification from either. I usually get something from both of them when I have a delivery coming.

No response. I'm starting to worry I'll never see it.

Friday, the 22nd, at 4:00 UPS shows up with a box. I notice it's from a UPS Store in Nashville, so at least I know it will be packed well, whatever is in there. Low and behold, it's in the original case. It's got more than "character marks" on it. Take a look!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It needs some serious TLC. The board is dry, and the frets are green. The strings feel like they've been in a whiskey soaked dirty ash tray for a month. At least neither the guitar or the case smells like stale beer, sweat and puke.

I initially thought of taking a queue from Mark and sending it off to Marty Bell for a ridiculous paint job. Wrestled with that idea for a few days, and think I'll hold off on that, for now. Maybe in the spring. I did order some PRS strap buttons from John Mann, though. One thing for sure, the ugly mutt plays great!

Sorry for the long post. Figured you all would get a kick out of the story. Of the dozens of sales I've made, and orders I've placed on Reverb, this was my first that came close to a bad experience. In the end, I'm ok. I got a rockin' fiddle for $500.00

2. toothace

toothace Zombie Thirteen, DFZ

Duuuuuuuuude!!! What a score! My only question...why does that thing still have finish on it???:)

Sweet top!

3. drjenkins

drjenkins I Don't know what to put here...

Crap, man. I absolutely hate getting the runaround when you're trying to buy something. Glad you're liking how it plays though!!

bodia, Andrew Paul and LSchefman like this.
  4. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

Wow, you certainly did the right thing by not giving in to his bait-and-switch style demands.

But yeah, if she plays true and sounds good, it's still a steal for that amount.

Although I have no idea how someone chips the pain at the top of the neck going there. Wow.

bodia, Andrew Paul and LSchefman like this.
  5. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I don’t blame you for hanging onto it for the low $$.

This is why I won’t buy used gear. I get p.o.’d.

When I’ve sold gear, if I said it was mint, I mean, like new. Excellent means damn close to new.

Still, that’d be a nice project to send to the PTC for some customization!

bodia, Iceman101, g.wizz and 5 others like this.
  6. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

Good one!
    I mean it looks like Pete Townshend "practised" with it, but what a deal!
    Easy to clean up, and what a player. Nicely done sir!

bodia, Alnus Rubra and Andrew Paul like this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Zombie Eight, DFZ

Bangin’!

bodia and Andrew Paul like this.
  8. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

I’d post the guy’s info. I’m not into liars :mad:, (regardless you got a cool guitar).

kerekem, bodia, g.wizz and 4 others like this.
  9. veinbuster

veinbuster Zombie Three, DFZ

Good price on the guitar and a free relic job.
    You win.

bodia, Alnus Rubra, g.wizz and 3 others like this.
  10. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

That will be fun I think Thin or Standard neck ???

11. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

That wasn't a guitar purchase, it was a rescue mission!

12. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

And others have to pay hundreds or even thousands for relic jobs...

13. WA Paul

WA Paul It’s ok...I’m with Manny dog

Classic all hog rocker! Time to make it yours!

14. Davey

Davey TV remote CEO

I like it! Start a new TV show "Bodia's Guitar Rescue"

15. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc Confirmed Bird Snob

oooooo nice!! $500 for a Core with birds is a steal!

bodia, Frank McNerney and Andrew Paul like this.
  16. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

Still great price. I really don’t understand how someone chips the finish of a guitar near the neck joint like that. Clean up those frets and oil that board and rocket it! Nice it’s a core Mira with birds... how awesome is that! If you refine look into one of cracked S2 finishes :D

Nice score!

bodia, Alnus Rubra and Black Plaid like this.
  17. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

bodia, Iceman101 and Boogie like this.
  18. Bowtiefanatc

19. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I was hoping you’d pick this one up. It was one of those unicorn opportunities...a beat to [email protected] unicorn! I mean beat with a tube sock with 3 bars of soap!

bodia and Tucson Thump like this.
  20. Bowtiefanatc

there’s one on the verb for $750 right now with birds too ;)

bodia and Boogie like this.