The post I didn't see coming... Sixpence Tone!

Are your picks BWC? I’m going to try the titanium one in my experiment.

Oddly, I find that a dime is the perfect thickness and diameter for my fingers. My bro has a collection of silver dimes so I’m going to try one of those next.
The titanium one is. It's a little on the small side for me if I'm being super critical but otherwise I like it a lot. I can't remember if they have options for thickness but mine is 1mm thick. I actually really like it with a Strat and cleaner tones too

This post made me check my coin collection (an old cigarette box filled with various old coins).
I haven't got a pre1947 sixpence. The oldest is 1950.

But here is a set of pre-decimal coins. My favourites are always the farthings (1/4 of a penny) with the wren on it (I have one made into a tie pin). The oldest coin is included here too. A very worn 1909 penny.

No, never used any for picks. Though I do have 2 metal picks; a chrome one and a titanium one.

ufnbbxh.jpg

I went really deep and started thinking about sharks tooth. Will it produce clean tones, or will it be sharp and bitey?:confused::rolleyes:

Great for playing some John Williams;)

This post made me check my coin collection (an old cigarette box filled with various old coins).
I haven't got a pre1947 sixpence. The oldest is 1950.

But here is a set of pre-decimal coins. My favourites are always the farthings (1/4 of a penny) with the wren on it (I have one made into a tie pin). The oldest coin is included here too. A very worn 1909 penny.

No, never used any for picks. Though I do have 2 metal picks; a chrome one and a titanium one.

ufnbbxh.jpg

No Sovereigns then?!;)

hmmm.... I've never used anything metal, that didn't "sound" metal. For me, (I know what you're thinking already...) that was not a good thing. It could work with some amps/guitars/tones but NEEDED to be EQ'd around, and I didn't like it. Plus, any time you play with something that is harder metal than your strings, won't you wear them out unusually fast? Plus, plus, playing with a rounded item... no point... not for me. No rounded item A) gives the attack I want on the note or B) allows me to control that attack by varying pick angle, or C) allows me to pick fast or accurately... I always angle the pick and while my strike angle varies depending on what I'm doing, the only time it ever gets flat is if I'm strumming chords. When playing individual notes, lines or leads, the pic is angled. Angle something round and it's impossible to pick one note without hitting the notes on other side of it UNLESS you have the thing completely parallel to the string. This forces you to play with a pic running parallel to the strings only. No freaking way I'm going to do that.

For these reasons, I'm out!
104826364-1532632793524markcuban.jpg

hmmm.... I've never used anything metal, that didn't "sound" metal. For me, (I know what you're thinking already...) that was not a good thing. It could work with some amps/guitars/tones but NEEDED to be EQ'd around, and I didn't like it. Plus, any time you play with something that is harder metal than your strings, won't you wear them out unusually fast? Plus, plus, playing with a rounded item... no point... not for me. No rounded item A) gives the attack I want on the note or B) allows me to control that attack by varying pick angle, or C) allows me to pick fast or accurately... I always angle the pick and while my strike angle varies depending on what I'm doing, the only time it ever gets flat is if I'm strumming chords. When playing individual notes, lines or leads, the pic is angled. Angle something round and it's impossible to pick one note without hitting the notes on other side of it UNLESS you have the thing completely parallel to the string. This forces you to play with a pic running parallel to the strings only. No freaking way I'm going to do that.

Yeah I don’t know how this works but it seems to work for me... and I angle my pick too. I normally use a VERY pointy Gravity pick (1.5 mm) but when I tried the coins, I found one that didn’t hit the other strings or produce unwanted notes. It’s a preference thing... everyone definitely won’t like it though.

Yeah I don’t know how this works but it seems to work for me... and I angle my pick too. I normally use a VERY pointy Gravity pick (1.5 mm) but when I tried the coins, I found one that didn’t hit the other strings or produce unwanted notes. It’s a preference thing... everyone definitely won’t like it though.

How much pick angle do you normally use? I found I couldn't even pick "normally" with a dime, for example. Turning it just a little means it's bumping one string next to the one you're playing, etc., for me.

I have a "decent" picking hand, and it was a VERY quick experiment for me when I tried it. Took about 5 seconds to know. Another 30 to try to adapt and see if it was acceptable. Then back in the piggy bank it went. :)

p.s. and yeah, this is ALL preference stuff and I get that one is "perfect" for one person doesn't work at all for another. And, that anything that works for someone, just works, and doesn't mean it has to work for anyone else.

Just for the record, the sixpence picks the Dr. May uses are shaped to a point. And i suspect he uses silver because it is softer than the metals used in modern guitar strings.

How much pick angle do you normally use? I found I couldn't even pick "normally" with a dime, for example. Turning it just a little means it's bumping one string next to the one you're playing, etc., for me.

I have a "decent" picking hand, and it was a VERY quick experiment for me when I tried it. Took about 5 seconds to know. Another 30 to try to adapt and see if it was acceptable. Then back in the piggy bank it went. :)

It looks like 30 degrees or so...

I think a lot depends on how a pick is normally held (Santana-like, BB-like, Benson-like, etc) for it to be doable or not with something tiny like a dime.

Also the Canadian dime has a ridge that’s more raised... and that was weird for me.

Just for the record, the sixpence picks the Dr. May uses are shaped to a point. And i suspect he uses silver because it is softer than the metals used in modern guitar strings.

Yeah he stated that he preferred the tone of the silver ones (but as rick stated, the ones shown in that PG interview were the late year non-silver coins). He mentioned them being nickel silver so they don’t hurt strings.

The interview might only be telling half the story. They didn’t show the pointy ends of the coins either...

:confused:

Yeah he stated that he preferred the tone of the silver ones (but as rick stated, the ones shown in that PG interview were the late year non-silver coins). He mentioned them being nickel silver so they don’t hurt strings.

The interview might only be telling half the story. They didn’t show the pointy ends of the coins either...

:confused:
The ones for sale on Reverb are shaped, and i remember seeing an interview where he showed one that was as well. That shaping may have been from wear over time, too.

Yeah, I've seen some that were shaped to a point but that didn't say anything about that. I can't play with anything round.

Also, keep in mind, that many of us hear haven't really heard each other play, so many times, just knowing the style or how someone plays can make their preferences/tolerances make more sense.

I have to agree. I ordered one from somewhere (UK, maybe) when I was ordering all of the "gourmet" pics a couple of years ago. I really like the ebony one. Still use it, often.

I had an ebony one that I really liked ... but it cracked.

:mad:

Then I began the quest for a non-breakable pick. That particular quest, which did not stand upon the edge of a knife, ended with a $40 blue chip.

Approx a hundred picks were tested between the blue chip and the gravity pick. I still love the gravity pick.

The ones for sale on Reverb are shaped, and i remember seeing an interview where he showed one that was as well. That shaping may have been from wear over time, too.

Geek fact:

the fretboard of the Red Special is made from Oak (I believe) and stained to look like ebony.

The guitar underwent significant repair a few years ago by luthier Andrew Guyton. The end of the fretboard had gouges in it from where it looked like the strings had come into contact with it!

Guyton’s website did have an interesting section on this repair, if that’s your thing.

Back