Does Horsemeat play nice with other pedals?

slyfox

I've found the good old Ibanez Tube Screamer to be a great stackable pedal and good on its own for a lead tone.

I have been out of playing electric guitar for the last year or so and recently bought a more simple head/cabinet to get back into it and wanted a basic pedal set up and was thinking about the Horsemeat. A lot of the demos sound like it's the type of tone that I would like to push an already dirty sound for that liquid lead tone. In the past I've liked the sound of a boosted fuzz like the EH Ram's Head or a TS9 boosting a Rat type pedal.

What I like particularly about the Horsemeat is that is had a 2 band EQ instead of just the tone knob. This offers some flexibility for me since the amp I have only has a volume and tone. I sold most of my gear a while ago and was thinking about avoiding having to purchase a TS9 again and just going for something different.

I think the Horsemeat would sound good on its own, but how does it sound to put infront of other pedals like a Rat or Fuzz?

I've found the good old Ibanez Tube Screamer to be a great stackable pedal and good on its own for a lead tone.

I have been out of playing electric guitar for the last year or so and recently bought a more simple head/cabinet to get back into it and wanted a basic pedal set up and was thinking about the Horsemeat. A lot of the demos sound like it's the type of tone that I would like to push an already dirty sound for that liquid lead tone. In the past I've liked the sound of a boosted fuzz like the EH Ram's Head or a TS9 boosting a Rat type pedal.

What I like particularly about the Horsemeat is that is had a 2 band EQ instead of just the tone knob. This offers some flexibility for me since the amp I have only has a volume and tone. I sold most of my gear a while ago and was thinking about avoiding having to purchase a TS9 again and just going for something different.

I think the Horsemeat would sound good on its own, but how does it sound to put infront of other pedals like a Rat or Fuzz?
Wish I knew.

I looked really hard on YouTube and searched for a forum with the answers but as far as this pedal being user as a boost, there's not too much info on the pedal still (even though it's been out a bit).

I'm going to try to get my hands on one and do some videos of how it interacts.

Based on the design goals, "liquid lead tones" is not something I'd expected from this pedal. However, I DO NOT have one. Yet.

But that wasn't what the pedal was designed for and I doubt it will do that. There are a few guys here who have them so hopefully they'll speak up soon.

I will have one before long.

Last edited:
I don't believe this pedal or most overdrives into a clean amp are going to give the desired liquid lead tone which is why I asked about its compatibility with other pedals. I've had a good klon klone before and on a dirty amp it did what I wanted and the ts9 does as well...I've also found I like stacking overdrives with other staples like a rat or muff.

Leon Todd on YouTube does a video of the horsemeat and I love that smoothness and sustain he gets with just the horsemeat but I dont remember what type of amp he was using, it might have been some modeler or direct recording set up of sorts but I'm sure the horsemeat has what I want. Was hoping to draw on some users experience in terms of stackability.

The other pedal I like is the mesa flux drive. I heard a demo with a ts9 in front of it and it was really nice. Personally, I'd rather give my money to PRS.

For Me - The Best And Favorite Drive Pedal I Own Is Simply Having The Right Amp For The Job. ;)
Precisely! The right amp obviates the need for pedals.
Edit: Pedals Can Be Fun Though.
That's also a correct answer!

"Wait, the two statements seem inherently contradictory, both answers can't be true!"

"It's time to get out the Ouija Board and ask Schrödinger about his cat."

Precisely! The right amp obviates the need for pedals.

That's also a correct answer!

"Wait, the two statements seem inherently contradictory, both answers can't be true!"

"It's time to get out the Ouija Board and ask Schrödinger about his cat."
Indeed!

I love a great amp with perfect overdrive in all it's glor, set to 11 but... I feel like it will almost be better with some type of booster or transparent drive to push over the edge :)

Of course, not everyone may agree lol

Indeed!

I love a great amp with perfect overdrive in all it's glor, set to 11 but... I feel like it will almost be better with some type of booster or transparent drive to push over the edge :)

Of course, not everyone may agree lol
There are great uses for pedals. I love amp overdrive, but there are times I want a different coloration, or a different feel, or whatever.

So I, for one, agree!

The Horsemeat is very Klony, it's like a Klon with extra tone options.
Last time someone said it was Klon-like, Paul was angry. In fact, he was do furious that he made a video that said "It's NOT A KLON! It's a unique original circuit I made."

If I ever run across that video again, I'll post it here but yeah, there's no denying steam was a-goin' lol

It's an overdrive with clean signal mixed in, to me that's a Klon / TS 9.

I didn't say it was a Klone, I just said it was Klony. If Paul didn't want it compared to a Klon, he wouldn't have made it the same sort of idea, and then named it in reference to Klon, and then said "It eats Klons for breakfast".

It's an overdrive with clean signal mixed in, to me that's a Klon / TS 9.

I didn't say it was a Klone, I just said it was Klony. If Paul didn't want it compared to a Klon, he wouldn't have made it the same sort of idea, and then named it in reference to Klon, and then said "It eats Klons for breakfast".
I have no idea because I have never played one and cannot afford one but I have seen many youtubers and owners claiming it's Klon-like but whenever it's been compared to a Klon, it's nothing like it. All Klon and Tube Screamers have some level of Mid-Humping goin on but the Horsemeat doesn't unless you jack the voice knob but even then, it different mids freq?

Paul says:
"When I came to England, I randomly found an original Klon pedal in a cabinet, I tried it and didn't like it. So I made something better - from scratch, hence the name Horsemeat. It's nothing like the Klon." I'm summarizing but not exaggerated...

Again, I have no idea because I don't own one. If it's frequently compared to Klons, I can only assume it is Klon like but Paul has issues with that.

Back