NPD - I'll tell you how the Horsemeat is prepared

Les, I understand and agree with everything you said above. That's why I like pedals with some tonal control. Into a bright amp, I may use the Timmy the exact opposite of how I use it now, for example. But your base line tone, and then what you want when you do kick the pedal on may be completely different from mine, and what I'm after. So totally get that when discussing this stuff.

Andy uses a Custom 50 a lot, which I had and sold (probably should not have, but did get the Bogner in trade). That amp has a lot of mids and bottom like the Archon does so even though the Archon has more gain, I found that similar pedals worked well with both when I had both. Further, the pedals would be dialed similarly with both... again, Timmy boosting treble and cutting bass for a solo boost, with some gain and some level boost as well.

I quoted the line above to say, first, thank you again for the kind remarks. And second, I'm still not really sure I have A tone. I still change things literally every time I turn an amp on. For example: The last 3 times I played the Bogner, I had it in 70s mode, but last night played it for over an hour in 80s mode. I played the Archon twice last week. One night with the gain never over 9:00 and one night with it at 11:00 (and any Archon owner will tell you, 9:00 is classic JCM800 type gain... maybe plus a little. 11:00 is another level... true high gain. I adjust the pedals to what I'm doing that night while I'm playing them, and go.

And lastly, I DO like to copy or get close, to some of the tones of the icons. If I play an Ozzie song, I want to sound like Randy or Zach or Jake. When I play a Van Halen song, I want something close to Eddies tone, etc. But if I had a gig tomorrow night of doing originals, I'm comfortable enough with all theses varying factors to pick a cab and set the Archon where I'd want it and that would be "my tone." It's just that when I'm playing lots of stuff, it never stays in one place for long.
can i sing on your originals? i’ve never been in a band with a really good guitar player.

Andy, do you have a Timmy? The clips I heard let me to believe it was closer to that than to a Klon. Klon is known for big mid push. Timmy is not AND pulls bass before the OD circuit and puts it back later so the bass doesn't mush out... which is something Paul hinted at in one of the videos I saw about the Horsey. But that's why your remarks made me question some of the clips, because the Timmy works extremely well with the H, Custom 50 and Archon.

I’m guessing that Vai didn’t use a Klon when recording “Bad Horsie”!

Andy, do you have a Timmy? The clips I heard let me to believe it was closer to that than to a Klon. Klon is known for big mid push. Timmy is not AND pulls bass before the OD circuit and puts it back later so the bass doesn't mush out... which is something Paul hinted at in one of the videos I saw about the Horsey. But that's why your remarks made me question some of the clips, because the Timmy works extremely well with the H, Custom 50 and Archon.

Don't have a Timmy (sorry), but from what you said above, and what I've gathered about them online, very likely the Horsemeat is closer to that than a Klon. My suspicion is that when someone figures out what the circuit is most similar to, or descendent from, it's going to be either Bluesbreaker/KOT or maybe a Timmy.

I played around with the Horsemeat into the Custom 50 some more tonight, and was able to pick out basically three distinct boost sounds from it. One being a straight up level boost, T/B around noon and the voice control set low/neutral. Two, the voice control cranked and trimmed bass, boosted treble, which although this pedal into a clean amp sounds nothing like a Tubescreamer, it did do a decent impression into a dirty amp by providing that packed upper mid sound (even congested sounding if not careful). And, third, voice set high again, but with the bass way up and treble low, giving a Santana like thick lead tone.

Like Les said, it all depends on what you want to hear. For me, the mid push sits at a higher frequency than I usually prefer, but some like it that way, dialing out the mid is a clean boost, compensating for it is the Santana thing, and none of those are bad. But, they're also not that remarkable, in terms of being sounds you couldn't easily repeat with something else.

Back