The post I didn't see coming... Sixpence Tone!

I would think that would be tough on your hand for a full gig, though. A typical pick weighs at most about an ounce. I’d think a pound coin would feel like a brick by about the third song.
I'm thinking a pound coin... weighs about a pound. :confused:

Last edited:
When coins and paper currency become obsolete, will people collect old, expired credit cards? Or..

“”Dad, look, I found a new PIN today online! Can I add to to my PIN and password collection?”

“That depends, Timmy. Whose PIN was it?”

“It says LSchefman on the PIN collector website.”

“Sorry, son, that one’s worthless.”

When coins and paper currency become obsolete, will people collect old, expired credit cards? Or..

“”Dad, look, I found a new PIN today online! Can I add to to my PIN and password collection?”

“That depends, Timmy. Whose PIN was it?”

“It says LSchefman on the PIN collector website.”

“Sorry, son, that one’s worthless.”
Yeah, they've got your number Les.;)

There's wood tone, fretboard tone, string tone, pick tone... and now there's coin tone... gosh, what's next!

Now... where can I get a pre 40's sixpence here stateside?...

I'd use a coin..............

uazOZ2Z.jpg

....... on a plain finish PRS (that I didn't care about), or some other brand of guitar.:cool:

Aww man I’m way deep in the rabbit hole now...

:oops:

Does anybody know how copper sounds in comparison to silver? What about brass and bronze? I figure nickel has a more rounded tone but is it ‘less bright’ than copper?

I’m gonna compare sixpence coins, pennies, and Canadian vs American dimes. I’ve got a favorite already but all of my specimens haven’t arrived so I can’t prove my hypothesis just yet.

Oh dear. This hole is deep.

I've got a few different metal picks that I bought as an experiment - they're not coins so it's not a direct read across - I have aluminium, brass and copper. They're all fairly thick picks, so the brass and copper ones are HEAVEY! I hardly ever use them as they are so clumsy, but the sound is warm and rounded. The aluminium is brighter with more attack and feels more like a normal pick to use, but does actually wear surprisingly quickly. So I thought I'd want something light like aluminium, but harder, which is why I tried a titanium pick.
Kind of works. Feels like a normal pick to use, sounds like a metal pick, but doesn't wear down and isn't quite as fiddly to hold as a coin. Unfortunately there aren't many options it out there

Does anybody know how copper sounds in comparison to silver? What about brass and bronze? I figure nickel has a more rounded tone but is it ‘less bright’ than copper?

I’m gonna compare sixpence coins, pennies, and Canadian vs American dimes. I’ve got a favorite already but all of my specimens haven’t arrived so I can’t prove my hypothesis just yet.

I use a Dunlop teckpick (brass finish) that is “aerospace grade aluminium” (their words).

I started using it by accident as my son was given one in a music shop.

It allows you to play quite lightly, I like the response, attack and tone. I’m sure they’re not for everyone.

I use a Dunlop teckpick (brass finish) that is “aerospace grade aluminium” (their words).

I started using it by accident as my son was given one in a music shop.

It allows you to play quite lightly, I like the response, attack and tone. I’m sure they’re not for everyone.

Nice.

I’ve been using an old penny ever since my experiment started last week...

I guess I’m cheap after all.

I've got a few different metal picks that I bought as an experiment - they're not coins so it's not a direct read across - I have aluminium, brass and copper. They're all fairly thick picks, so the brass and copper ones are HEAVEY! I hardly ever use them as they are so clumsy, but the sound is warm and rounded. The aluminium is brighter with more attack and feels more like a normal pick to use, but does actually wear surprisingly quickly. So I thought I'd want something light like aluminium, but harder, which is why I tried a titanium pick.
Kind of works. Feels like a normal pick to use, sounds like a metal pick, but doesn't wear down and isn't quite as fiddly to hold as a coin. Unfortunately there aren't many options it out there

Are your picks BWC? I’m going to try the titanium one in my experiment.

Oddly, I find that a dime is the perfect thickness and diameter for my fingers. My bro has a collection of silver dimes so I’m going to try one of those next.

I went really deep and started thinking about sharks tooth. Will it produce clean tones, or will it be sharp and bitey?:confused::rolleyes:

Good point! I will have to incorporate pre-64 (I think) dimes to see if we can compete. These were all silver, and made before the British invasion!

They’re 90% silver and will leave your fingers a grayish black. Easy to hold onto tho, as most of the ones still around came out of old soda vending machines and are sticky AF :)

my hands are too big for dimes and the silver dollars my bass player uses have too much low mids; anyone using a holder for their coin pick?

In all honesty I’ve tried a bunch of different picks and materials and always come back to the good ol’ Tortex. Cheap, comfortable, available, and they get the job done as well as anything :)

Back