The post I didn't see coming... Sixpence Tone!

So I concluded my research. Results are as follows:

All sixpence coins sound pretty cool, however, the silver ones sound more balanced and less ‘metallic’ chirpy.

Titanium picks sound almost identical to the silver sixpence coins. 95% the same tone.

Some wooden picks (ebony, rosewood, etc) sound almost as bright and balanced as the silver picks. But 100% without the metallic chirp.

I’ve noticed that while I prefer the feel and sound of the silver coins/titanium picks, I get an unpleasant type of feedback through my amp when those coins/picks touch the strings. Further research identified that this feedback only occurs on my 1967 Epiphone and my LP with PAF pickups. These particular pickups happen to be unpotted.

All sixpence coins sound pretty cool, however, the silver ones sound more balanced and less ‘metallic’ chirpy.

Titanium picks sound almost identical to the silver sixpence coins. 95% the same tone.

Some wooden picks (ebony, rosewood, etc) sound almost as bright and balanced as the silver picks. But 100% without the metallic chirp.

I’ve noticed that while I prefer the feel and sound of the silver coins/titanium picks, I get an unpleasant type of feedback through my amp when those coins/picks touch the strings. Further research identified that this feedback only occurs on my 1967 Epiphone and my LP with PAF pickups. These particular pickups happen to be unpotted.

Must be your magnetic personality!:p

I’ve had one of these for a while but wasn’t necessarily digging the tone.

coinpick.jpg

I’ve had one of these for a while but wasn’t necessarily digging the tone.

coinpick.jpg

Is that a Kennedy half dollar? If so, you could try to find a 90% silver one (like before 1964) as it will most likely sound better. At least that was how the sixpence thing turned out.

I tried a bunch of coins. Wheat pennies sound really good too (not as bright but very clear) but the penny was too thick for me. Old silver dimes were nice and have similar composition to the old sixpence coins. I prefer the old Canadian dimes (because I am a Royal Family fangirl).

And there we are... singing a song of sixpence. :) I've had fun doing it, and learned a little coin history along the way. I have a whole box of old silver coinage to play with, so I’ll need to get the grinding wheel out!

Is that a Kennedy half dollar? If so, you could try to find a 90% silver one (like before 1964) as it will most likely sound better.

The CIA and the Castro family have all the pre-1964 Kennedy half dollars.

My grandmother used to save half-dollars. I can remember going with her to buy a new TV and she paid part of it with a bunch of rolls of half dollars. I can’t remember the last time I saw a roll.

Thanks for reporting back. Sounds like you've had a very similar experience to myself, though I'm not sure that I've found the wooden picks to be as bright as the metallic ones - though it could just be that chirp that muddies the comparison. I have liked the wooden picks I've tried, I used a few exclusively about 10 years back, but I got fed up with how quickly they wore down and how the changing shape would mess up my technique.

I also find I prefer the older silver sixpences, both in feel and tone. Softer and smoother in the hand. I've also found that the titanium pick is very similar to the silver sixpence, with the main difference being the effect of the geometry at the tip and lack of ridged edge. I really like my BWC titanium pick and the fact that it doesn't wear and change shape, but I wish it was a little bigger as it is a little on the small side. The only other pick I use at the moment is a Blue Chip TD80 (Thanks to other forum threads!) and this is also fantastic and by the power of magic (!) also doesn't seem to wear down. I'd buy up a few more of them but they are really expensive to buy and ship to the UK after paying all the shipping and import duties.

Thanks for reporting back. Sounds like you've had a very similar experience to myself, though I'm not sure that I've found the wooden picks to be as bright as the metallic ones - though it could just be that chirp that muddies the comparison. I have liked the wooden picks I've tried, I used a few exclusively about 10 years back, but I got fed up with how quickly they wore down and how the changing shape would mess up my technique.

I also find I prefer the older silver sixpences, both in feel and tone. Softer and smoother in the hand. I've also found that the titanium pick is very similar to the silver sixpence, with the main difference being the effect of the geometry at the tip and lack of ridged edge. I really like my BWC titanium pick and the fact that it doesn't wear and change shape, but I wish it was a little bigger as it is a little on the small side. The only other pick I use at the moment is a Blue Chip TD80 (Thanks to other forum threads!) and this is also fantastic and by the power of magic (!) also doesn't seem to wear down. I'd buy up a few more of them but they are really expensive to buy and ship to the UK after paying all the shipping and import duties.

Nice... my favorite Blue Chip pick is the STP35/40. I just wish it were a tiny bit smaller in shape (but not as small as their Jazz 3). I can never seem to find the perfect size or shape with their picks. I was thinking of sending them one of my others ones to see if they could copy it.

I only tried a couple of the coin picks once. I didn't care for any of them. I do have a new #1 though.

Yep, I agree. Cheap, and performs well.

Cheap compared to some, but not compared to the norm. I haven't priced them online but mine were $2.50 per. I have a V-pick that was over $10 that I don't like at all, but the more normal V picks are around the price of the Primetone. I like the design and writing (which are too small to read) that are raised on the pick surface, as it gives really good grip.

Back