The post I didn't see coming... Sixpence Tone!

Cheap compared to some, but not compared to the norm. I haven't priced them online but mine were $2.50 per. I have a V-pick that was over $10 that I don't like at all, but the more normal V picks are around the price of the Primetone. I like the design and writing (which are too small to read) that are raised on the pick surface, as it gives really good grip.
3 pack on Amazon for $5.06. Way cheaper than the Blue chip and Red Bear

1. it’s ‘just ultex’ and therefore ‘not rachel’
2. it’s $1.68, too cheap
3. no red/blue/other color in name
4. doesn’t look/sound like a 40s army button

I've got another sixpence coming in from Ebay. I had a look the other day for the composition of the alloy of the silver sixpence and found out that they changed the silver content over the years. I have a 1935 sixpence and between 1920 and 1946 the silver content was only 50%. Before that they were 92.5% silver so I've bought an older one to see if it makes any difference. I'm not expecting it to to be honest but it didn't cost very much (less than a lot of the fancy picks) so I though what the heck,

Before the early 1800s the sixpence was 100% silver. But the only ones of those I could find were expensive so I think I'll draw the line at 925.

So I concluded my research. Results are as follows:

All sixpence coins sound pretty cool, however, the silver ones sound more balanced and less ‘metallic’ chirpy.

Titanium picks sound almost identical to the silver sixpence coins. 95% the same tone.

Some wooden picks (ebony, rosewood, etc) sound almost as bright and balanced as the silver picks. But 100% without the metallic chirp.

I’ve noticed that while I prefer the feel and sound of the silver coins/titanium picks, I get an unpleasant type of feedback through my amp when those coins/picks touch the strings. Further research identified that this feedback only occurs on my 1967 Epiphone and my LP with PAF pickups. These particular pickups happen to be unpotted.

I have a couple of metal picks. Titanium, Chrome and Bronze). I dont use the Titanium or Chrome ones. They are 'ergonomic' in design, but weirdly they make my fingers ache; cant use 'em. I dont much like the sound of them either.

They are bottom right in this pic.
KRp9H7C.jpg

I've got another sixpence coming in from Ebay. I had a look the other day for the composition of the alloy of the silver sixpence and found out that they changed the silver content over the years. I have a 1935 sixpence and between 1920 and 1946 the silver content was only 50%. Before that they were 92.5% silver so I've bought an older one to see if it makes any difference. I'm not expecting it to to be honest but it didn't cost very much (less than a lot of the fancy picks) so I though what the heck,

Before the early 1800s the sixpence was 100% silver. But the only ones of those I could find were expensive so I think I'll draw the line at 925.

Yup, the ones I have that I really like are the ones with King George’s father on them... so thats 1918-ish I guess.

Back