The post I didn't see coming... Sixpence Tone!

Geek fact:

the fretboard of the Red Special is made from Oak (I believe) and stained to look like ebony.

The guitar underwent significant repair a few years ago by luthier Andrew Guyton. The end of the fretboard had gouges in it from where it looked like the strings had come into contact with it!

Guyton’s website did have an interesting section on this repair, if that’s your thing.
I saw that, and the pickup covers are dented and grooved from string and pick contact as well. Its a really great guitar considering he built it himself. I know could never come close to that level of engineering and forethought of design.

I saw that, and the pickup covers are dented and grooved from string and pick contact as well. Its a really great guitar considering he built it himself. I know could never come close to that level of engineering and forethought of design.

The semi-hollow with the shaped pick-guard and the twin-neck Red Specials he built for BM are impressive too!

For me, metal on metal always sounded... like metal on medal. Had sort of a "scratchy" attack. I know, but that's the best way I can describe it, but it was certainly there and I could hear it with every metal pick I tried, even thick ones.

My current fav is a Primetone Jazz III XL Grip from Dunlap. Not sure exactly how thick the one I have is, but it's perfect for me. It is an accurate pick and a FAST pick, that's easy to control, and has no tonal side effects (chirp, scrape, etc) no matter what angle you use it at.

And yes, Alan, one will be on the way to you when I find more. The store I found it in only had one. If I don't find more soon, I'll go online and snag a few and send some your way.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, metal on metal always sounded... like metal on medal. Had sort of a "scratchy" attack. I know, but that's the best way I can describe it, but it was certainly there and I could hear it with every metal pick I tried, even thick ones.

My current fav is a Primetone Jazz III XL Grip from Dunlap. Not sure exactly how thick the one I have is, but it's perfect for me. It is an accurate pick and a FAST pick, that's easy to control, and has no tonal side effects (chirp, scrape, etc) no matter what angle you use it at.

And yes, Alan, one will be on the way to you when I find more. The store I found it in only had one. If I don't find more soon, I'll go online and snag a few and send some your way.

Thank you, sir!

I’ve got a couple metal picks, most notably one from a company called Cymbolic. Cut out of cymbal brass. Seems extra thick for that to me, but whatever. It’s pretty bright, and on o e recording where I used it, I noticed a chirp that kind of sounds like a squeaky kick drum pedal. But it works in the song, so...

Thank you, sir!

I’ve got a couple metal picks, most notably one from a company called Cymbolic. Cut out of cymbal brass. Seems extra thick for that to me, but whatever. It’s pretty bright, and on o e recording where I used it, I noticed a chirp that kind of sounds like a squeaky kick drum pedal. But it works in the song, so...

I think (IMHO!) that some of these picks that are made of different materials than normal, SOUND fine or even good, as long as you keep you pick flat with the line of the string. As soon as you start angling the pick, the material related side effects start to creep in. Acrylic chirp, metal zing, etc. I can fly on my Taylor 614 with a V-pick, but the chirp drives me crazy. Can't put up with it, even for the easy speed. Had the same effect when I tried the "Big Stubbies" years ago. Like a scene from "The Birds."

The shape of the edge of the pick has a big effect as well. For example, my longest running "standard" pick I can use for anything is the green jazz sized Tortex pick. Those are great playing and tonally. They do wear though and after a while, the point is rounded and the edges smoothed. I keep one in that state and one new one on the bench at all times, and if I use one, grab the one I want, knowing they're no longer identical in feel and tone.

Re: pick edges, I like rounded off, rather than straighter edges with angles. I have a V-pick that has angled flat edges that come together in an edge that could cut your finger. I much prefer the ones with rounded edges. When you're picking fast and changing strings, you need the pick to glide over the string, and not have a "grab/pull/snap loose" type effect. The later gives you more attack, but makes it much harder to glide over the string when picking fast.

This again is where player preference kicks in. I have a friend who plays slow, old school blues. He uses big thick strings, and big thick picks and medium high action. He's only playing a few notes and never fast. His guitar setup doesn't work for me.

If you heard that Happy Birthday thing I did messing around a couple years ago, I think there are about 45 notes in the first (just under) 4 seconds of the song, and every note is picked. For me anyway, I have to glide effortlessly over the strings in order to do that. So I need a point, but not too sharp, and smoother rounded pick edges.

I think (IMHO!) that some of these picks that are made of different materials than normal, SOUND fine or even good, as long as you keep you pick flat with the line of the string. As soon as you start angling the pick, the material related side effects start to creep in. Acrylic chirp, metal zing, etc. I can fly on my Taylor 614 with a V-pick, but the chirp drives me crazy. Can't put up with it, even for the easy speed. Had the same effect when I tried the "Big Stubbies" years ago. Like a scene from "The Birds."

The shape of the edge of the pick has a big effect as well. For example, my longest running "standard" pick I can use for anything is the green jazz sized Tortex pick. Those are great playing and tonally. They do wear though and after a while, the point is rounded and the edges smoothed. I keep one in that state and one new one on the bench at all times, and if I use one, grab the one I want, knowing they're no longer identical in feel and tone.

Re: pick edges, I like rounded off, rather than straighter edges with angles. I have a V-pick that has angled flat edges that come together in an edge that could cut your finger. I much prefer the ones with rounded edges. When you're picking fast and changing strings, you need the pick to glide over the string, and not have a "grab/pull/snap loose" type effect. The later gives you more attack, but makes it much harder to glide over the string when picking fast.

This again is where player preference kicks in. I have a friend who plays slow, old school blues. He uses big thick strings, and big thick picks and medium high action. He's only playing a few notes and never fast. His guitar setup doesn't work for me.

If you heard that Happy Birthday thing I did messing around a couple years ago, I think there are about 45 notes in the first (just under) 4 seconds of the song, and every note is picked. For me anyway, I have to glide effortlessly over the strings in order to do that. So I need a point, but not too sharp, and smoother rounded pick edges.

What ever “floats your note” H :D

Thank you, sir!

I listened to a guy in Austin who was using a metal pick, and I know exactly the sound you are talking about. Just an oddity at first that will drive you nuts after listening to it on every note after 30 minutes. :eek: I don't know if it was the pick angle or just the EQ he was using really bringing that odd metallic quack out, but it was really apparent!

One thing I've noticed with V-Picks (and after I noticed it there, with other picks to a lesser degree) is that I tend to get more chirps when I'm tentative about what I'm playing. When I work up the confidence to just let go and play, the chirping is reduced.

One thing I've noticed with V-Picks (and after I noticed it there, with other picks to a lesser degree) is that I tend to get more chirps when I'm tentative about what I'm playing. When I work up the confidence to just let go and play, the chirping is reduced.
I've not seen you play, so I'm not familiar with your picking style, location, angles, or hand movements, how heavy or light you pick, etc. I'm "generally" a lighter picker. I don't hammer! When I play fast, it's aggressive, but still NOT "hard" picking. I find I can make a lot of picks work, but they need to be within some similar parameter ranges... no super pointy, no super round, no super thick, no sharp edges... etc. But in and out of what can "work" there's how they sound. Sometimes, things you can hear acoustically don't translate through the amp, so they become less objectionable. Sometimes they do and you either change your tone or it drives you crazy... either of which is a compromise.

I don't think V picks chirp all the time. But it's a consistent enough trait from multiple guitars and amps and tones, that I rarely use them anymore. The most expensive one of all (over $10) I NEVER use because it has all the things I hate. TOO thick, TOO pointy, TOO sharp and defined pick edges. It would be a great weapon in a fight though. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the record, the sixpence picks the Dr. May uses are shaped to a point. And i suspect he uses silver because it is softer than the metals used in modern guitar strings.

I recently acquired a US-made pointy sixpence from the Bay. It’s the perfect size for me (with material removed, it’s the size of a dime) but, on my pointy specimen, the pointed end ‘grabs’ the string in a not so great way.

Making the coin pointed is a genius idea but the resulting rough edge could be a major problem for lots of folks.

I’m back to using my penny until my ‘proper’ pointy sixpence arrives via Royal Mail.

Great to see so much thought and detail going on about picks here. I have spent a small fortune on them. I started about 6 years ago when I realised that my fast alternating picking had overtaken my regular picks attack response. I needed a pick with zero flexing.

The quest is now over, though I am still interested in anything new. As for chirp (or any unwanted pick noise), the ideal material for me is whatever Chicken Picks are made out of. I am not too keen on their shapes/designs, but the material is good because will not take a shine. It retains its slightly matt surface texture no matter how worn or filed it is. This eliminates all but a minimal white noise. Never found anything else like it.

Great to see so much thought and detail going on about picks here. I have spent a small fortune on them. I started about 6 years ago when I realised that my fast alternating picking had overtaken my regular picks attack response. I needed a pick with zero flexing.

The quest is now over, though I am still interested in anything new. As for chirp (or any unwanted pick noise), the ideal material for me is whatever Chicken Picks are made out of. I am not too keen on their shapes/designs, but the material is good because will not take a shine. It retains its slightly matt surface texture no matter how worn or filed it is. This eliminates all but a minimal white noise. Never found anything else like it.

Cool... Do you know if they make anything thinner than 2.1 mm? I can’t find anything on the website.

+1 on the Chicken Picks

This post made me check my coin collection (an old cigarette box filled with various old coins).
I haven't got a pre1947 sixpence. The oldest is 1950.

But here is a set of pre-decimal coins. My favourites are always the farthings (1/4 of a penny) with the wren on it (I have one made into a tie pin). The oldest coin is included here too. A very worn 1909 penny.

No, never used any for picks. Though I do have 2 metal picks; a chrome one and a titanium one.

ufnbbxh.jpg
Very nice! I remember the threepenny bit. And the worn penny. Today is the 49th anniversary of the UK going to the decimal currency. Feb 15, 1971. The big laugh on the news, I recall, was an old woman in Sunderland or Newcastle saying that, Well, it might catch on down south but it'll never catch on up here in the north. When I was a kid we had a game called Shove Ha'penny, which required two old pennies, a halfpenny, two six-inch plastic rulers and two marked 'goals' on a table top. it was a variation on footy. Each player took turns using the rul to move the penny to knock the halfpenny towards the other player's goa. Sounds weird, I know, but it was a big deal back in the day. We'd play it on the teacher's desk at breaks and lunchtimes. we had leagues!!

Back