Owning the highest echelon of PRS guitars

I echo what Les has said regarding all of these answers being right! It really comes down to what you want and what you value as an individual.

My first PRS was in February this year (2021 McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library). I purchased that specific guitar for two reasons. First was, I have wanted a PRS for 25+ years, but could never justify having one based on my lack of ability and frequency of guitar playing. Considering both of these elements had changed significantly in the past 2 years, I felt it was time and began searching in Dec '20. Second was, I wanted a one-piece top and this had one piece top and one piece back (here are some photos - second post on that 4th page - post #62). After searching for about 6 weeks for the PRS to buy, it took me less than 30 minutes to pull the trigger on this one. After receiving it and playing it, I could not be happier. It is the guitar that I play the most every single day.

My second PRS (Core CU24 10 top) was purchased 3 weeks later. I loved that first one so much after playing it, that I understood the fandom of this brand. Although I am not a great player (probably just shy of good), I can feel the difference and wish I would have played one of these 25 years ago when I first became aware of them. They are an inspiration to play and got me to buy a second one just weeks later. I like the feel better of the neck on this one than my HBII, but I like the low weight and the tones of the HBII better. This second one also had a finalized date on the hang tag that was on my birthday, which led me to the third one.

My third PRS (PS CU24 2021 Winter NAMM) was purchased largely due to the fact that it had a special day on it's headstock. I would not have purchased this PS if it did not have this day on the headstock ;~)) That said, this guitar is phenomenal!!! Two things (beyond beauty) that stand out for me on this PS are the fretboard feel and the tone. The fretboard is Hormigo wood and like a maple board, it seems to have some kind of coating on it. Whatever the case is, between that wood, whatever it is coated with and the PS frets, sliding on that fretboard is like greased glass. Sooooooooo easy to slide up and down the neck (although I wish the neck itself was a satin finish and I may make it so once I find the balls to alter my PS)! The tone is the other element that sets it apart from my other PRSi! Simply incredible! Best playing and sounding guitar I have ever touched ;~))

So that said, my opinion is that, with the identical treatments (same fretboard wood, same pick ups and electronics, etc.), a WL guitar can sound and feel 95% or more, as good as a PS. Question is, can you find a WL guitar that has the combinations you want! If you can, get a WL and you can buy two of them for the price of a single PS. If not, and you have to have wood X and pickups Z, go PS!

As for case queens, I will never buy something that I do not intend to use for it's purpose, and I generally do not buy pricey stuff that I do not want to keep for life. Am I paranoid about dings and scratches, swirls, etc.? Of course! But that will not stop me from using them for the purpose they were bought for. If I am not able to play guitars some day, these works of art will be hung on the walls of my domicile so I can appreciate their beauty, I do NOT intend on ever parting with any of these three (or my two Martin's, 1989 Steinberger, my two Harley's, etc.) for any reason. I will be putting them in my will to go to some children's music program when I pass away as I think young musicians should be able to experience what a guitar is supposed to feel/sound like!!!

I will be speccing my first PS build late this year, and I am thinking it is going to be an Angelus, but am still on the fence as I need to play one first, but that will mean taking an airplane somewhere to do so ;~(( Best of luck with your search and know that, regardless of the path you take, all PRS gitfiddles are at the top of their respective games!!!

Happy GAS'in'!
MW

I say this to everyone pondering a PS. If you’re going to do it, do something that is unavailable via core or wood library. Whether that’s a wood combination, control scheme, neck shape, etc. Otherwise , it’s diminishing returns IMO. You do get extra craftsmanship whatever you decide, but it is the finer details. That matters to some, not so much to others. Make the extra money you’re putting down to good use. Know what you want.

I built my spec to be what I wanted sonically from the guitar and controls most useful to me. It’s a double cut body that is singlecut thickness. DGT control scheme with added mini toggle to tap neck pickup, bridge pickup taps via the tone control.

H0UMf5y.jpg

Vaughn makes an excellent point here, essentially echoed by veinbuster (although technically who shot first is somewhat up in the air). Being able to get something that is otherwise unobtainable is a big part of the attraction.

I’ve considered getting a PS but can’t justify the price. I would love a hard tail single cut 509 with dual tone controls, swamp ash body and roasted flame maple neck and board. I already have a 513 I love so not sure if it would be worth the additional cost.

I say this to everyone pondering a PS. If you’re going to do it, do something that is unavailable via core or wood library. Whether that’s a wood combination, control scheme, neck shape, etc. Otherwise , it’s diminishing returns IMO. You do get extra craftsmanship whatever you decide, but it is the finer details. That matters to some, not so much to others. Make the extra money you’re putting down to good use. Know what you want.

I built my spec to be what I wanted sonically from the guitar and controls most useful to me. It’s a double cut body that is singlecut thickness. DGT control scheme with added mini toggle to tap neck pickup, bridge pickup taps via the tone control.

H0UMf5y.jpg

Ok. Thou shall not covet other's PS guitar. But really dream guitar in sight man...

I’ve considered getting a PS but can’t justify the price. I would love a hard tail single cut 509 with dual tone controls, swamp ash body and roasted flame maple neck and board. I already have a 513 I love so not sure if it would be worth the additional cost.

Yea man...
Since you have 513. Does it sound different having 2 single coils compare to a single humbucker?

I "liked" every post here, because everyone's point of view is right on...for that person.

I go back to 1991 with PRS. I've had lots of cores, I have a few PS models, and several WL models; lots of Core models. I'd guess the total would be 35 or so PRSes. Here's my take:

Cores are superb guitars. WL are variations on a theme. PS guitars are on another level entirely (at least they are for me).

The most interesting WL guitars (to me) are the ones that offer something a bit different, as one poster said above. So I have a WL McCarty Trem, instead of a McCarty. Before that I had a couple of WL guitars with maple necks that weren't offered on Core.

I got my first PS because I wanted an acoustic in maple, and PRS was only offering them in Core/Artist at the time with mahogany or cocobolo. It's the guitar that changed everything for me, and led to more PS models. I can't put into words how lovely it feels and sounds. I've had it for going on 8 years and haven't looked at another acoustic since. My son, who's a producer in LA, says it's 'like hearing a concert grand piano'. Plays great, too, and has a carbon fiber truss rod that simply does not move no matter the season.

I bought three PS electric guitars from runs that I didn't spec. Each one has been wonderful, and the woods and features are a little bit different from what you can get in Core. They go way beyond fancy trim. They're just incredible to feel and play, and the tone is off the chart. I'm very, very picky about my audio and tone, and wouldn't have bought several of these if I hadn't truly felt what I'm talking about. I play them in my ad music work; I play all of my guitars. They're special instruments. YMMV.

As to dings, my mantra is, "The gear serves me, I do not serve the gear."

On the other hand, I'm pretty careful about them, and they're all still mint. It isn't hard to keep a guitar in mint shape, if you case it when not in use.

I'm not into guitars as decor. I have paintings and woodcuts for that.

Thanks for sharing your vast experience on WL and PS.
This is not a fair question but i m gonna ask anyway...
In what musical situation that you would select your PS over a core?

For PS I would advise to study learn and wait for a long long time, before buying. Be a stalker in PSF and dealer sites. Distinguish what is really rare and outstanding, even among the PS world. Otherwise you run the risk of straddling the borders between PS and core.

Then, pounce without hesitation when a special top, a special neck, or a special complete dealer spec guitar becomes available. You have to be fast when the time comes.

PS is great, no indeed it is irreplaceable and unrivalled, for that really rare, out of this world specimen that pops out once a while. There is no rare Gibson Custom Shop guitars produced anymore, cos every guitar they churn out is essentially the same, same woods, same look etc.

I once asked a dealer, does PRS have African Blackwood necks if I wanted to do a PS. Not knowing at that time what a monumentally big ask that was. They replied well it so happens they have ONE such neck blank in the vault. I later found out you just don’t find African Blackwood neck blanks anywhere, not just the PRS vault.

Rest is history, never looked back except with fondness. I would say my entire guitar collection, including the disappointments and misses, has been worth it just for that one single hit.

One final thought if you will. If something is rare because nature makes very little of it, it is truly rare. While limited editions really mean unlimited.
3Nzs1Tp.jpg
FKrujau.jpg

Very cool guitar man.
Your comment does points me to wood knowledge combination that would make a guitar extra special.

Cool. Is the low freq profile very different from you a humbucker? Im very curious in 2 single coils as a humbucker.

Not really. It sounds like a Humbucker when I select the clear and heavy modes and a single coil when split I’m sure the dual single coils play a factor but I can’t say how much. It sounds like it should on all 13 settings.

I echo what Les has said regarding all of these answers being right! It really comes down to what you want and what you value as an individual.

My first PRS was in February this year (2021 McCarty 594 HBII Wood Library). I purchased that specific guitar for two reasons. First was, I have wanted a PRS for 25+ years, but could never justify having one based on my lack of ability and frequency of guitar playing. Considering both of these elements had changed significantly in the past 2 years, I felt it was time and began searching in Dec '20. Second was, I wanted a one-piece top and this had one piece top and one piece back (here are some photos - second post on that 4th page - post #62). After searching for about 6 weeks for the PRS to buy, it took me less than 30 minutes to pull the trigger on this one. After receiving it and playing it, I could not be happier. It is the guitar that I play the most every single day.

My second PRS (Core CU24 10 top) was purchased 3 weeks later. I loved that first one so much after playing it, that I understood the fandom of this brand. Although I am not a great player (probably just shy of good), I can feel the difference and wish I would have played one of these 25 years ago when I first became aware of them. They are an inspiration to play and got me to buy a second one just weeks later. I like the feel better of the neck on this one than my HBII, but I like the low weight and the tones of the HBII better. This second one also had a finalized date on the hang tag that was on my birthday, which led me to the third one.

My third PRS (PS CU24 2021 Winter NAMM) was purchased largely due to the fact that it had a special day on it's headstock. I would not have purchased this PS if it did not have this day on the headstock ;~)) That said, this guitar is phenomenal!!! Two things (beyond beauty) that stand out for me on this PS are the fretboard feel and the tone. The fretboard is Hormigo wood and like a maple board, it seems to have some kind of coating on it. Whatever the case is, between that wood, whatever it is coated with and the PS frets, sliding on that fretboard is like greased glass. Sooooooooo easy to slide up and down the neck (although I wish the neck itself was a satin finish and I may make it so once I find the balls to alter my PS)! The tone is the other element that sets it apart from my other PRSi! Simply incredible! Best playing and sounding guitar I have ever touched ;~))

So that said, my opinion is that, with the identical treatments (same fretboard wood, same pick ups and electronics, etc.), a WL guitar can sound and feel 95% or more, as good as a PS. Question is, can you find a WL guitar that has the combinations you want! If you can, get a WL and you can buy two of them for the price of a single PS. If not, and you have to have wood X and pickups Z, go PS!

As for case queens, I will never buy something that I do not intend to use for it's purpose, and I generally do not buy pricey stuff that I do not want to keep for life. Am I paranoid about dings and scratches, swirls, etc.? Of course! But that will not stop me from using them for the purpose they were bought for. If I am not able to play guitars some day, these works of art will be hung on the walls of my domicile so I can appreciate their beauty, I do NOT intend on ever parting with any of these three (or my two Martin's, 1989 Steinberger, my two Harley's, etc.) for any reason. I will be putting them in my will to go to some children's music program when I pass away as I think young musicians should be able to experience what a guitar is supposed to feel/sound like!!!

I will be speccing my first PS build late this year, and I am thinking it is going to be an Angelus, but am still on the fence as I need to play one first, but that will mean taking an airplane somewhere to do so ;~(( Best of luck with your search and know that, regardless of the path you take, all PRS gitfiddles are at the top of their respective games!!!

Happy GAS'in'!
MW

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Learning from your experience is that when "all the planets are aligned" moment plus knowing what you really wanted in purchasing a guitar is the key.

Vaughn makes an excellent point here, essentially echoed by veinbuster (although technically who shot first is somewhat up in the air). Being able to get something that is otherwise unobtainable is a big part of the attraction.

Exactly man. For me having very limited knowledge of WL/PS, knowing what unobtainable spec is something i would seek and reflect if they are what i like.

Thank you very much for the comments and spending time sharing your experiences made my 1st posting in this forum a really fun experience.

Not really. It sounds like a Humbucker when I select the clear and heavy modes and a single coil when split I’m sure the dual single coils play a factor but I can’t say how much. It sounds like it should on all 13 settings.

Ok. i guessed 2 single coils does sound like humbucker (might a d'uh comment since a humbucker is 2 single coils combined)
I think the appeal is that you would have a pure single coil tone in comparison to split coil humbucker.

Some great advice here, I would echo the sentiment that a good time to go for a PS is when you want something specific and can’t get it any other way. Now, that being said, you want a PS with a fairly “normal” spec to a core guitar, I’m sure it would be special, it just becomes a question of if your money is best spent on a PS, or do you need to consider upgrading an amp or other piece of music gear to really get the best out of even a core guitar. It’s the “weakest link in the chain” thing.

Along those lines, I would say don’t get too caught up in thinking about this in a “PS vs WL vs Core” mindset. Every guitar has a voice and personality based largely on what kind of woods, pickups, and bridge it features. I always tell people to pick a guitar based on the spec you want, regardless of what tier of the PRS family it’s in. A core or WL guitar with the exact specs you want will probably be a better match for you than a PS that doesn’t really tick all the boxes. Of course, in a perfect world, we would always to have an apples to apples choice between all tiers, and the PS would of course be top dog, but in reality it usually isn’t that way just due to availability.

Perfect example, I was in the same exact spot about 8 months ago, wanting a 594 and could have gone PS (really liked the Graveyard LTD’s) but wasn’t sold on the idea that I needed PS just for the sake of having it. I had my spec choices made except not sure if I wanted a rosewood or ebony board. @LSchefman helped clear my head on what to expect from an ebony board, and @veinbuster made the excellent suggestion of looking into African Blackwood. Well, as it turned out, that African Blackwood was the best choice for me, and finding it on a 594 was easiest on a WL guitar. It has the note attack closer to rosewood, but a feel that combines the warm touch of rosewood with the smooth, void free surface of ebony. I have no regrets! I prefer having that fretboard wood on a production line guitar, to having a PS with some other wood.

That decision also gets made in a more momentary but similar way when I “shop” my own guitars for the best one for a certain part or gig. I have guitars from all over the PRS lines, but they’re all spec’d differently. Which one I choose at any given moment has nothing to do with which tier it comes from, I’m purely looking for the one that matches the job best. They’re all excellent tools. The thing about some guitars, for me the WL 594, is they just plain take more investment during production to make them do that special thing they do. Doesn’t mean it’s always the right thing for every job. So, in summary, just look for the one that speaks to you! Don’t overthink it.

PS - @Tonart , you have an African Blackwood neck on your guitar??? That’s insane!!! Is it heavy? I bet it feels divine. That must have been a day for the books at the factory, I hear that stuff is so hard it sometimes wears out the milling tools, hard to believe they carved a whole neck out of it. We ever run into each other, fair warning, I’m gonna want to try that one!

My PS is the best guitar I've ever played....I have a 94 core CU24 and 14 Artist CU24 i won't part with...they are great too...and I have a whole slew of other brands which are also great. The PS is just a step up over everything for me and it isn't even a slight thing, it's not only me but others who pick it up can tell as well.

I say find the best PRS build type you "click" with (ie. singlecut, Custom, Vela, ect.) and find it in a used PS. I paid $7500 for my 2010 SC250 used...but I sold my brent mason, CU24 floyd and a SC594 that more than covered the cost....WORTH EVERY penny. If you have multiple cores...ask yourself...what is your favorite build type...find a used PS guitar and get it. If you gotta sell a few cores to make it happen...I don't think you'll regret it. I don't.

This is just my bad advice.

Some great advice here, I would echo the sentiment that a good time to go for a PS is when you want something specific and can’t get it any other way. Now, that being said, you want a PS with a fairly “normal” spec to a core guitar, I’m sure it would be special, it just becomes a question of if your money is best spent on a PS, or do you need to consider upgrading an amp or other piece of music gear to really get the best out of even a core guitar. It’s the “weakest link in the chain” thing.

Along those lines, I would say don’t get too caught up in thinking about this in a “PS vs WL vs Core” mindset. Every guitar has a voice and personality based largely on what kind of woods, pickups, and bridge it features. I always tell people to pick a guitar based on the spec you want, regardless of what tier of the PRS family it’s in. A core or WL guitar with the exact specs you want will probably be a better match for you than a PS that doesn’t really tick all the boxes. Of course, in a perfect world, we would always to have an apples to apples choice between all tiers, and the PS would of course be top dog, but in reality it usually isn’t that way just due to availability.

Perfect example, I was in the same exact spot about 8 months ago, wanting a 594 and could have gone PS (really liked the Graveyard LTD’s) but wasn’t sold on the idea that I needed PS just for the sake of having it. I had my spec choices made except not sure if I wanted a rosewood or ebony board. @LSchefman helped clear my head on what to expect from an ebony board, and @veinbuster made the excellent suggestion of looking into African Blackwood. Well, as it turned out, that African Blackwood was the best choice for me, and finding it on a 594 was easiest on a WL guitar. It has the note attack closer to rosewood, but a feel that combines the warm touch of rosewood with the smooth, void free surface of ebony. I have no regrets! I prefer having that fretboard wood on a production line guitar, to having a PS with some other wood.

That decision also gets made in a more momentary but similar way when I “shop” my own guitars for the best one for a certain part or gig. I have guitars from all over the PRS lines, but they’re all spec’d differently. Which one I choose at any given moment has nothing to do with which tier it comes from, I’m purely looking for the one that matches the job best. They’re all excellent tools. The thing about some guitars, for me the WL 594, is they just plain take more investment during production to make them do that special thing they do. Doesn’t mean it’s always the right thing for every job. So, in summary, just look for the one that speaks to you! Don’t overthink it.

PS - @Tonart , you have an African Blackwood neck on your guitar??? That’s insane!!! Is it heavy? I bet it feels divine. That must have been a day for the books at the factory, I hear that stuff is so hard it sometimes wears out the milling tools, hard to believe they carved a whole neck out of it. We ever run into each other, fair warning, I’m gonna want to try that one!

Valueble advice man...
You kinda reminded me that my amp is the weakest link.

Back