PRS QC taking the day off?

As a kid I once scratched something I'd saved up for, in a spot that was invisible unless I looked for it. I was still kind of upset. I told my father it bugged me when I looked at it.

My father said, "Then don't look at it." ;)

I actually had a very good result because of the dowel when a strap button screw worked its way loose after I had the guitar a short time. The factory simply removes the dowel, replaces it, and you get a properly seated screw without having to resort to stuffing the hole with glue and toothpicks or wood scraps. And because it came stock with the dowel, it's not a modification. And no refinish is needed. It's actually a feature, not a bug. But I understand what you're saying.
I have done a little woodwork in my life and that is why the dowel bothers me. The dowel is what I would consider a more serious fix to a stripped hole. I would use the dowel fix to a guitar that didn't really have enough good solid wood in that area to hold the screw properly. You can tape the finish to keep it from chipping when you drill it and get a nice round hole. This is one reason I have an issue with the way they do it. The hole is not nice and round. The edge of it is jagged and could be done better.

I would only use wood slivers for a hole that is mostly able to hold the screw and I have done that. I always use a hard wood like oak and sliver it with a knife and I always put a good wood glue in with it so I know it will hold.

That is why it bothers me. But like I said, as long as it is under the strap button, I forget about it so it doesn't bother me. I have really been liking the Studio and really liking playing it. It never ceases to amaze me at how good this one plays after I tweaked the setup to my liking. It has a nice ring and sustain to it as well. It really is a great guitar. That keeps me from loosening the strap button and looking at that ugly hole in it. :)

I Would Return The Guitar And Look For Another Unless it Plays So Great That Finding Anything As Good Would Be A Miracle.

I’m a diehard PRS fan and of the opinion that their solidbodies are the best in the world (hollowbodies are a different matter), but I can’t say that their QC is airtight. Not at all. Personal experience:
-a DC3 with bad tuners, a batch of those got out the door back in the day (confirmed by PRS customer service);
-an S2 Mira with a warped neck, which sucked because that guitar was magical and the issue could not be fixed (they got me another one);
-a 594 with poorly cut bridge saddles, leading to severe tuning issues and rattles (they sent me another bridge).
These were very obvious issues.

On the plus side, my core DGT, NF3, Starla and SE Soapbar were perfect sootb.

Back