SE QC issues?

If your neck is moving that much, it's not a quality instrument. PRS has a process to ensure neck stabiltiy and thier videos say they follow this at cort, at least that's what I was led to believe from some vids I sawy. For the most part, SE has been great for a long time, but you have to eventually wonder why everyone is saying there is a problem of late.

Sorry, but no. It moved once. I've had other guitars that needed a periodic tweak. Doesn't mean they're not quality. Just means that particular piece of wood is more sensitive to environmental conditions.

Newbie here with a SE DGT & SE 594, says "Inspected" 7/23 & 9/23.
Everything seems to be working as it should. The fretwork on the DGT blows me away, really good. No complaints.
The 594 also seems right, action was pretty high, still screwing with it to make sure I can get it where I want it.
I actually like the 594 pickups more than the DGT's, at least the neck. Intonation was pretty spot on the 594.
I haven't gotten out the magnifying glass regarding the finish on either but nothing's sticking out. I may be less critical than some about that though.

I'm going to spend more time with them this weekend and see if something sticks out.
Really, the fretwork is great though...no sharp ends and no complaints about any of that.
To be continued...

So uhhh later that day....added a Maple SE Silver Sky, looks great, sounds decent, floated the Trem, stays in tune, intonates nicely...unbelievably horrible fret ends. I won't waste time with a discussion about those but I'm on the side that it doesn't outweigh the good with this guitar. It's going back. There's no way that the people who did the frets on the SE DGT or SE 594 did the frets on this Silver Sky.

Last edited:
If we are being honest, there have been more QC issues with the SE line this year than ever before, at least that I can remember. They have had a lot of electronics issues as well as some fit and finish issues. If you get a bad one, send it back and get a replacement. It doesn't seem like the issue is a batch issue. It seems to be a one here and there type of issue. Unfortunately, a few of the issues I have read about and seen pictures of have been pretty serious and not really able to be fixed, like drilling the bridge studs in the wrong location.

If we are being honest, there have been more QC issues with the SE line this year than ever before, at least that I can remember.
I'd go as far to say there's been more QC issues than ever before with all Korean years combined.

Is some of it the reach for new price tiers and higher expectations or over critical scrutiny? Are the expectations higher with the promoting of the Indo factory process? Is it that today they seem to strive to mimic the core counterparts more than before? The signature on the headstock? Covid? Training and supply issues? Competition is higher today than ever before? I don't know, but I'd guess a combo of all.

I say it everytime, I have full confidence PRS will sort it out. Their name is synonymous with quality and are always striving for a better product.

I spent many years working in Customer Service (food, not guitars) and we were very aware of the thinking that a happy customer might tell 1 or 2 people about their experience, while an UNhappy customer would make sure to tell everyone they can about it.
My point being, it seems they're selling more SE's than ever, and the (occasional?) sub-par ones that are inevitable are getting lots of attention. After all, how many people are compelled to start threads saying "Everything's great with me!" ?

I spent many years working in Customer Service (food, not guitars) and we were very aware of the thinking that a happy customer might tell 1 or 2 people about their experience, while an UNhappy customer would make sure to tell everyone they can about it.
My point being, it seems they're selling more SE's than ever, and the (occasional?) sub-par ones that are inevitable are getting lots of attention. After all, how many people are compelled to start threads saying "Everything's great with me!" ?
I tend to agree overall with the theory, and say something similar to my team all the time. Thing is there's tons and tons of rave reviews about the se line and other guitars all the time everywhere. The principal proves to not ring as true when it comes to guitars for whatever the reason.

My business partner used to say bad news travels faster than good news. It's disconcerting to know that some sub par SE's are getting through. I've bought two new SE's myself that were virtually perfect. Fretwork as good as my core McCarty, but I bought them both from local shops and played them before buying them. Lemons should definitely be returned.

I'm new with PRS guitars but I was blown away by the quality of my first two SE's, finding a SAS was another story.. I played several at my local shop and they were just terrible, one was completely dead like it was made from a sponge or something, Zero vibrations! Another had wiring issues and the selector didn't work correctly.. this along with horribly matched tops and color deviation's made finding one a chore! Luckily a online dealer that I've worked with in the past hooked me up with a stunning example that's just about perfect in every way, if I can ever put it down long enough it needs strings, pickup tweaks and the D string needs intonation adjustments.

Charles

I was so happy with my Silver Sky SE that I bought a McCarty 594 SE. There were a couple things that needed to be addressed. I was also unsure about the stock pickups but after some adjustments to pickup and pole piece height I am now very pleased with the sound and playability of this guitar. The neck feels perfect to me like it was played in and the fretwork is top notch. I’m glad I hung in there with it.

Sorry to hear about this.
I just bought my 1st SE last week, a DGT, and although I LOVE the way it sounds, it's pretty much unplayable for me the way it is with such high action, almost as if the neck angle is wrong. I can't compensate for it enough with truss rod adjustments or adjusting the bridge saddles. Some of the frets are unlevel as well. If the neck was perfect and the action was low, I'd just have it plek'd and get on with making music and memories, but it's not really even staying in tune. I just got a bad one I suppose, and having to return it. Sadly.
I was certainly expecting more from a $900 guitar!
I've always thought no matter the price of a new electric guitar, it's going to need a set up to accommodate your style/touch. I got a new DGT and SAS. both needed set-ups, and the SAS has some sharp fret ends. I fully expected this, otherwise the guitars are outstanding.

I've always thought no matter the price of a new electric guitar, it's going to need a set up to accommodate your style/touch. I got a new DGT and SAS. both needed set-ups, and the SAS has some sharp fret ends. I fully expected this, otherwise the guitars are outstanding.
I have done setups on every guitar I have purchased in my life, man that has been quite a few guitars, except for one. It really shocked me that all I had to do was tune it up and play. Everything was right where I wanted it. I bought it from Sam Ash. I am betting they did a setup on it there and that is why it was this way. It was a Gibson SG. I still have it. I bought it for a specific reason and knew when I bought it that I probably wouldn't play it much and it is the one guitar I have purchased in my life that was ready to rock right out of the gate.

I have a few customers that send brand new guitars directly to me for a setup before they play them. For $150 I do a thorough inspection first and determine if the guitar is acceptable or if it should be send back. If it’s acceptable I will then take care of any playability and electronics issues including nut and minor fret work, pickups and electronics upgrades, upgraded hardware installation, etc. We offer this service on acoustic guitars as well. We have sent a few back, including some high $$ ones, but of the ones we do the work on we have not had a single compliant or return.

I’ve been reading the various comments on this forum about SE quality control, and I just wanted to add my recent experience. I’ve been looking for a SE Paul’s Guitar, and have not been able to find any in stock locally, so I had to order online (which I would prefer not to do). I’ve had three so far, and each one had fairly serious issues and needed to be returned. Now, they seem to be out of stock everywhere. All three guitars were new in sealed factory boxes, and had the “Inspection” tag on them.

Guitar 1: Cosmetically and tonally fine. Good pickups. However, it had severe back bow and horrible string vibrations that truss rod and bridge adjustments did not fix. The nut looked chewed up. Bridge bushings were loose on one side, and raised up out of the guitar body, and the entire bridge was fairly severely tilting towards the neck. Could not be played like it was.

Guitar 2: Plays really good out of the box. Tonally, it’s bad. It sounds like its echoing off concrete. Pickups are also not very responsive, and show little tonal variation. Two strings will not hold tuning. Cosmetically, the front veneer does not match at all from one side to the other, completely different patterns, and looks visibly yellow instead of charcoal gray. It’s ugly, almost like they used to much yellowing adhesive or something on it. The fretboard stain is also extremely light, and missing stain in two different areas – one almost looks like a fingerprint. Also ugly. Buff scratches all over the back of the guitar in the clear coat.

Guitar 3: Interesting for the complete lack of QC. Tonally, its ok. Cosmetically, the coloration, veneer pattern, and fretboard stain are all fine. However, the clear coat finish is entirely scratched up. Scratches everywhere you look, over the entire guitar, including the headstock. It’s like they buffed it with a dirty cloth with particulates on it. You don’t need a microscope to see them either. This alone should have DQ this in QC. However, almost unbelievably, this guitar also has a sideways neck. They did not set the neck in straight. Bad string vibration. There is also a hole or large gash in the wood on the back – very visible – and filled with something and then stained over. To top it off, it’s strung with non-spec, non-PRS strings – with color coded balls (PRS does not make color-coded strings?). It’s supposed to be stung with PRS 10-46 Classic string. That’s what the PRS website says is spec to the Paul’s Guitar SE. I know this string well. It’s obviously not. Furthermore, whatever it is strung with is a thicker gauge, which I think is probably acoustic string.

It's hard for me to understand how many of these issues could get out of a factory quality control, but I certainly cannot understand how Maryland PRS QC could pass much of this – especially a crooked neck and being strung with non-standard, non-PRS string. It really makes me feel like they are not checking the guitars in MD anymore, or they just don’t care and are passing everything. I don’t expect a high-end guitar or finish at this price, but I do expect the guitars to be properly made to spec, play well, and not come entirely scratched up, missing stain, or with obviously mismatched front designs, loose bridge bushings, or crooked necks. Maybe I have too high expectations. I’m sure there are some perfectly fine SE guitars out there, and perhaps they had been made better or had better QC in the past – but all of this recent experience makes me really question the quality of these SE guitars. I’ve started to consider an S2, but they don’t make an S2 Paul’s Guitar – the closed is either a Custom 24-08 or McCarty – but supposedly the single-coil doesn’t sound as good from those pickups as the SE Paul’s, and I’m not a fan of tremolos (I would also prefer a 25” length rather than 24.5” on the McCarty).

I’ve been reading the various comments on this forum about SE quality control, and I just wanted to add my recent experience. I’ve been looking for a SE Paul’s Guitar, and have not been able to find any in stock locally, so I had to order online (which I would prefer not to do). I’ve had three so far, and each one had fairly serious issues and needed to be returned. Now, they seem to be out of stock everywhere. All three guitars were new in sealed factory boxes, and had the “Inspection” tag on them.

Guitar 1: Cosmetically and tonally fine. Good pickups. However, it had severe back bow and horrible string vibrations that truss rod and bridge adjustments did not fix. The nut looked chewed up. Bridge bushings were loose on one side, and raised up out of the guitar body, and the entire bridge was fairly severely tilting towards the neck. Could not be played like it was.

Guitar 2: Plays really good out of the box. Tonally, it’s bad. It sounds like its echoing off concrete. Pickups are also not very responsive, and show little tonal variation. Two strings will not hold tuning. Cosmetically, the front veneer does not match at all from one side to the other, completely different patterns, and looks visibly yellow instead of charcoal gray. It’s ugly, almost like they used to much yellowing adhesive or something on it. The fretboard stain is also extremely light, and missing stain in two different areas – one almost looks like a fingerprint. Also ugly. Buff scratches all over the back of the guitar in the clear coat.

Guitar 3: Interesting for the complete lack of QC. Tonally, its ok. Cosmetically, the coloration, veneer pattern, and fretboard stain are all fine. However, the clear coat finish is entirely scratched up. Scratches everywhere you look, over the entire guitar, including the headstock. It’s like they buffed it with a dirty cloth with particulates on it. You don’t need a microscope to see them either. This alone should have DQ this in QC. However, almost unbelievably, this guitar also has a sideways neck. They did not set the neck in straight. Bad string vibration. There is also a hole or large gash in the wood on the back – very visible – and filled with something and then stained over. To top it off, it’s strung with non-spec, non-PRS strings – with color coded balls (PRS does not make color-coded strings?). It’s supposed to be stung with PRS 10-46 Classic string. That’s what the PRS website says is spec to the Paul’s Guitar SE. I know this string well. It’s obviously not. Furthermore, whatever it is strung with is a thicker gauge, which I think is probably acoustic string.

It's hard for me to understand how many of these issues could get out of a factory quality control, but I certainly cannot understand how Maryland PRS QC could pass much of this – especially a crooked neck and being strung with non-standard, non-PRS string. It really makes me feel like they are not checking the guitars in MD anymore, or they just don’t care and are passing everything. I don’t expect a high-end guitar or finish at this price, but I do expect the guitars to be properly made to spec, play well, and not come entirely scratched up, missing stain, or with obviously mismatched front designs, loose bridge bushings, or crooked necks. Maybe I have too high expectations. I’m sure there are some perfectly fine SE guitars out there, and perhaps they had been made better or had better QC in the past – but all of this recent experience makes me really question the quality of these SE guitars. I’ve started to consider an S2, but they don’t make an S2 Paul’s Guitar – the closed is either a Custom 24-08 or McCarty – but supposedly the single-coil doesn’t sound as good from those pickups as the SE Paul’s, and I’m not a fan of tremolos (I would also prefer a 25” length rather than 24.5” on the McCarty).
Sorry to see you have had so many issues. I would blame the dealer on that last one though. It sounds like it had D'Addario strigs on it. That makes me think it was sold and returned. The person that bought it changed the strings and probably tried going with big strings and down tuning the guitar. They didn't like it and sent it back within the return window.

Sorry to see you have had so many issues. I would blame the dealer on that last one though. It sounds like it had D'Addario strigs on it. That makes me think it was sold and returned. The person that bought it changed the strings and probably tried going with big strings and down tuning the guitar. They didn't like it and sent it back within the return window.
A return and resell (and restring) would be my first thought too, but it was in the original, sealed, and unopened box from the factory in Indonesia. I don’t see how the retailer could repackage it like new without seeing additional tape or something on the box. Everything about the box and contents looked new and unopened. PRS might be able to do it if they “refurbished” returns and then put them back out into distributor channels as “new.” But if so, they get a second chance to QC the guitar and didn’t do it.

I compared string gauge to my acoustic, and it looks like 13-56 or something similar that was on it.

Strings don’t mean much and can be changed easily, but if indeed this came from the factory like this and PRS QC didn’t catch it, then it raises a lot of questions… not the least of which is adherence to specs.

A return and resell (and restring) would be my first thought too, but it was in the original, sealed, and unopened box from the factory in Indonesia. I don’t see how the retailer could repackage it like new without seeing additional tape or something on the box. Everything about the box and contents looked new and unopened. PRS might be able to do it if they “refurbished” returns and then put them back out into distributor channels as “new.” But if so, they get a second chance to QC the guitar and didn’t do it.

I compared string gauge to my acoustic, and it looks like 13-56 or something similar that was on it.

Strings don’t mean much and can be changed easily, but if indeed this came from the factory like this and PRS QC didn’t catch it, then it raises a lot of questions… not the least of which is adherence to specs.
The fact it didn't have PRS strings on it means a lot to me. There is no way they were the last ones to touch it. I have sent two guitars into PRS for some work. One was a pickup change and the other was a refinish. Both came back with PRS strings on them. That is all they stock and have on hand. They also don't string anything with heavier than 11's. If someone put 13's on it, they would have had to open the nut slots up to take the strings or they would have had a ton of tuning issues.

The fact it didn't have PRS strings on it means a lot to me. There is no way they were the last ones to touch it. I have sent two guitars into PRS for some work. One was a pickup change and the other was a refinish. Both came back with PRS strings on them. That is all they stock and have on hand. They also don't string anything with heavier than 11's. If someone put 13's on it, they would have had to open the nut slots up to take the strings or they would have had a ton of tuning issues.
I agree with you. This guitar won’t tune at all, and vibrates like crazy. It’s in the original Indonesia box that had never been opened before. What I think is PRS US has never touched or QC’d this guitar, and the factory put generic heavier gauge strings on it, probably by mistake due to carelessness. It also has a very noticeable crooked neck set into the guitar (not broken after the fact), and someone shipped that too. Combined with my other issues and some of the other comments on this forum, I wonder if PRS US is even doing QC on the SE guitars anymore (at least as of late 2023), or just letting the factory in Indonesia do it. Someone else in this thread also mentioned Indonesia-based customer support when they contacted them, so perhaps PRS might be outsourcing everything to the manufacturer relating to these SE guitars now? My assumption was that PRS Maryland provided QC and customer support for the SE guitars, but maybe that isn’t the case anymore.

It's unfortunate that PRS is having serious issues with its QC on the SE line, focusing on too many SE model offers is taking a toll.

The SE Line its known for above average QC in that price segment, if they drop the ball on that its going to be a hard recover. My 2C
My SE SAS is beautifully made as is my SE 24 - 08. I have another Cort made guitar which is also perfect.

What I think is PRS US has never touched or QC’d this guitar, Combined with my other issues and some of the other comments on this forum, I wonder if PRS US is even doing QC on the SE guitars anymore (at least as of late 2023), or just letting the factory in Indonesia do it. My assumption was that PRS Maryland provided QC and customer support for the SE guitars, but maybe that isn’t the case anymore.
I'd be hard pressed to believe these guitars go through Maryland anymore, and I'd assume it can be traced back to covid and supply/shipping issues. There was a time during covid these were sitting in transit on a freightliner, port, or whatever. I'd guess that's when the chain was changed.

But I'm just a guy on the internet..

Back