SE QC issues?

My Chinese SE Hollowbody is the highest quality non-U.S. guitar I own, by a long shot (Indonesiand and Chinese Epiphones, Mexican Fender, Indonesian Squier)
Right, but a different factory than the one PRS set up in Indonesia. But yes, the seHb2 impresses me too.

My Chinese SE Hollowbody is the highest quality non-U.S. guitar I own, by a long shot (Indonesiand and Chinese Epiphones, Mexican Fender, Indonesian Squier)
My Silversky SE came with frets so polished they felt exactly like my Suhr frets. When a couple of friends played it they order one too, only to receive guitars that didn't deliver the same flawless state that mine came in, even the nut looked like it was cut with a bread knife. Mine looked like a CORE nut.

I'm a new SE owner with a Silver Sky, a 594 and a DGT. First let me say that I love all 3 guitars and the DGT has become my #1 since I got it. They are truly amazing guitars for the price. But I have had a few issues.

The Silver Sky had a loose nut that was off center by a few millimeters. It was an easy fix though. A friend of mine who has the same 3 guitars is having trouble with the switch on his Silver Sky. Hopefully a cleaning will take care of it, but it is a brand new guitar.

When I got the 594 it hummed like crazy. Far worse than any single coil guitar I have. It was completely unusable for recording, and I was not able to track down any reason for it. I should point out that I'm an electronics technician so I'm no stranger to wiring problems. I ended replacing the pickups and all the wiring and now it sounds amazing. My friend who also has a 594 decided to replace his pickups and when he took out the old ones, instead of 594 pickups there were DGT pickups. They work fine but they weren't 594 pickups.

And finally, when I got my DGT, the volume pots weren't working correctly, so I had a look inside and found that they had been wired incorrectly. Instead of the pickups being wired to the top of the pots, they were wired to the wipers. Again, an easy fix, but you have to wonder how that got by QC.

Add these things to stories I've seen on the Internet of people having wiring problems with SE guitars, and it certainly calls into question the supposedly famous PRS QC. However, in spite of these problems, I still think these are some of the best guitars I've owned and plan to get a couple more. But I do feel sorry for people who have these kinds of problems and aren't able to sort them out for themselves.

Just a few thoughts. I certainly don't mean to bash PRS and hope most people are enjoying their SE guitars without any problems. But maybe PRS should have a closer look at the wiring department in their Indonesian factory.
Sorry to hear about this.
I just bought my 1st SE last week, a DGT, and although I LOVE the way it sounds, it's pretty much unplayable for me the way it is with such high action, almost as if the neck angle is wrong. I can't compensate for it enough with truss rod adjustments or adjusting the bridge saddles. Some of the frets are unlevel as well. If the neck was perfect and the action was low, I'd just have it plek'd and get on with making music and memories, but it's not really even staying in tune. I just got a bad one I suppose, and having to return it. Sadly.
I was certainly expecting more from a $900 guitar!

Sorry to hear about this.
I just bought my 1st SE last week, a DGT, and although I LOVE the way it sounds, it's pretty much unplayable for me the way it is with such high action, almost as if the neck angle is wrong. I can't compensate for it enough with truss rod adjustments or adjusting the bridge saddles. Some of the frets are unlevel as well. If the neck was perfect and the action was low, I'd just have it plek'd and get on with making music and memories, but it's not really even staying in tune. I just got a bad one I suppose, and having to return it. Sadly.
I was certainly expecting more from a $900 guitar!
Now that would have been a solid original post! ;) Totaly understand where you're coming from. It's really disappointing to read these issues with the se lately, very unPRS and shouldn't happen on a "budget" guitar in this price range. I've only played a handful of seDGT and haven't noticed issues on them like I have on the seSS and se594, but I've played a helluva larger sample size of those.

I have confidence PRS will sort this out. They are too well known for quality, but that doesn't help those that are experiencing the current issues. And again, quite frankly shouldn't be experiencing. I will mention I was at a dealer the other day with a fresh shipment of se and overall the QC was better than I've seen lately. Hopefully that trend continues..

I have read many posts about QC issues in the SE line over the past couple of months. They used to check all of the SE guitars and do setups at the US factory before sending them out to dealers. Are they not doing that anymore? To me that made their import line far superior to any other import line out there. In fact there was another company that started doing the inspections and setups at their US factory to try to compete with PRS.

I have read many posts about QC issues in the SE line over the past couple of months. They used to check all of the SE guitars and do setups at the US factory before sending them out to dealers. Are they not doing that anymore? To me that made their import line far superior to any other import line out there. In fact there was another company that started doing the inspections and setups at their US factory to try to compete with PRS.
I reached out to PRS support about my new SE DGT and feel insulted by the way they are talking too me in the support email thread.

I'm speaking to them in very simple terms, easy to understand, and I think the person I'm talking to is Indonesian (which I have no problem with) but it's a conflict of interest. There is no need for them to be this defensive.

My SE DGT doesn't play well:
The action is too high.
A truss rod adjustment doesn't fix the problem.
The saddles are bottomed out.
The bridge is as low as it will go.
It doesn't stay in tune.

But even if the action was playable... the frets need a good leveling, crowning, and polish, and the nut needs to be slotted and THEN you can set it up and intonate it.

The recurrent theme that really pisses me off with my experience is that I'm treated like a dumbass who expects too much.
Sorry, for $900, I expect it to play well and stay in tune.

Especially when I have Chibsons that I spent 1/3rd that on that do.

This IS an Indonesian factory issue and won’t go away magically. Expect to see many more post like this. It’s not exclusive to PRS never has been. People are shopping price and discount not quality for the price point.

They used to check all of the SE guitars and do setups at the US factory before sending them out to dealers. Are they not doing that anymore?
Agreed, that's how I understood it too. I would be shocked if some of these I've played passed through a Maryland QC.

This IS an Indonesian factory issue and won’t go away magically. Expect to see many more post like this. It’s not exclusive to PRS never has been. People are shopping price and discount not quality for the price point.
I disagree, I thought this was the best guitar that I could get for the money where I could go to blues night and not beat up my core.

I have bought three SE’s recently, two were great and one had some electronics issues. I normally gut and mod them anyway so no big deal for me. I own my own custom guitar shop and I do a lot of first-time setups on import guitars for customers and overall the Indonesian factories are making quality guitars but there are some issues here and there. They ALL need a good setup after their ride across the ocean and they are greatly improved afterwards for the most part. I enjoy modding these guitars and on my own SE’s I have built them up into very nice pro-level guitars, which is a testament to their basic quality of materials and workmanship. Not all import guitars can get to the same place in my experience. There will always be some duds with any mass produced product. Should those get through QC? I don’t think so but it does happen for whatever reason, I think it has to do with the sudden demand and supply chain issues combining to create a rushed scenario for the manufacturer. Of course ideally this should not happen but in reality, it does. As I advise my customers, before you throw good money after bad, contact the dealer where you bought it and get a replacement or ask them to provide another agreeable remedy. That seems to work 99% of the time and the other 1%, we’ll let’s just say some folks just can’t be made happy. It’s ok to have high expectations but let’s keep it real folks, these are import guitars that are not expected to be on the same level as the core series, at least not out of the box. But they are pretty great for what they are and can be built up into pretty amazing instruments as long as there are not any serious defects. Just my opinion and a little bit of experience from a pro luthier with my own shop who does not work for PRS. I am just a fan like everyone else here.

Last edited:
I disagree, I thought this was the best guitar that I could get for the money where I could go to blues night and not beat up my core.
I don’t think you were wrong in your expectation but it sounds like the one you got has a major defect, stuff happens. Send it back and get one that is right to start with, then set it up to your liking and be happy. :)

I have bought three SE’s recently, two were great and one had some electronics issues. I normally gut and mod them anyway so no big deal for me. I own my own custom guitar shop and I do a lot of first-time setups on import guitars for customers and overall the Indonesian factories are making quality guitars but there are some issues here and there. They ALL need a good setup after their ride across the ocean and they are greatly improved afterwards for the most part. I enjoy modding these guitars and on my own SE’s I have built them up into very nice pro-level guitars, which is a testament to their basic quality of materials and workmanship. Not all import guitars can get to the same place in my experience. There will always be some duds with any mass produced product. Should those get through QC? I don’t think so but it does happen for whatever reason, I think it has to do with the sudden demand and supply chain issues combining to create a rushed scenario for the manufacturer. Of course ideally this should not happen but in reality, it does. As I advise my customers, before you throw good money after bad, contact the dealer where you bought it and get a replacement or ask them to provide another agreeable remedy. That seems to work 99% of the time and the other 1%, we’ll let’s just say some folks just can’t be made happy. It’s ok to have high expectations but let’s keep it real folks, these are import guitars that are not expected to be on the same level as the core series, at least not out of the box. But they are pretty great for what they are and can be built up into pretty amazing instruments as long as there are not any serious defects. Just my opinion and a little bit of experience from a pro luthier with my own shop who does not work for PRS. I am just a fan like everyone else here.
I agree with you, but for perspective, this is nearly a $1K guitar, and my EVH Wolfgang Hardtail special made in China, is one of the best playing guitars I have ever put in my hands. The action is incredible and I didn't need to do a setup on it. In fact, even swapping from 9's to 10's, I didn't even need to adjust the truss rod (granted I normally play in Eb) but still, the workmanship of this thing is unmatched for the price. I've had it for nearly 8 years and think it was $650, I can't exactly remember.

I've also got a few Chibsons that play great as well, and they were under $400.

At $900 with the PRS name, I expected it to be at least playable. Stuff happens, I get it.

This is my Chiwolf, I'll put this up against anything that costs 3x the price for playability, tuning stability, and even sound (as it doesn't have the tone-robbing Floyd).

https://i.ibb.co/6tLsMNb/20200827-232515.jpg

You seem pretty set to prove that the example you received is somehow representative of the entire SE line. You said yourself that it is clearly defective so send it back and get on with the enjoyment instead of the complaining.

I said that I got a bad one, and you pointed out that I said that I got a bad one.

Please don't put words in my mouth and claim I'm saying things that I am not.
I've played SEs before and they were great, including two friends here in town, one with a 596 and one a Paul's guitar.

You can add me to the list of, PRS SE QC sucks. I bought a new SE SAS.
Problems:
Action way to low- after day two the strings were buzzing.
Two places on back of neck where there is some grain marks were not sanded smooth.
Guitar weighs 9 LBS and 9 ounces - Really, how hard is it to weigh the piece before you even start cutting? Uhm, this is going to make an extremely heavy guitar....should we chuck it???

Problems:
Two places on back of neck where there is some grain marks were not sanded smooth.
Guitar weighs 9 LBS and 9 ounces - Really, how hard is it to weigh the piece before you even start cutting? Uhm, this is going to make an extremely heavy guitar....should we chuck it???
Sorry to hear it man. But it seems like a recurrent theme.

Problems:

Wood shifts due to environmental changes. If it was fine one day and not the next, the wood adjusted to its new environment. You likely need nothing more than a little twist of the truss rod. Easy fix. Zero - ZERO - to do with QC. I once bought a guitar that played beautifully in the store. Put it in the case, drove it home, pulled it out the next day - unplayable. Strings right up against the frets. Wood adjustment - turned the truss rod, don't think I ever tweaked it again.

As for the grain on the back of the neck, it could be the sanding, it could be the grain raising a bit because of the adjustment. Can't say for sure there.

And the weight? Some like 'em light, some like 'em heavier. Hardly a quality issue.

Wood shifts due to environmental changes. If it was fine one day and not the next, the wood adjusted to its new environment. You likely need nothing more than a little twist of the truss rod. Easy fix. Zero - ZERO - to do with QC. I once bought a guitar that played beautifully in the store. Put it in the case, drove it home, pulled it out the next day - unplayable. Strings right up against the frets. Wood adjustment - turned the truss rod, don't think I ever tweaked it again.

As for the grain on the back of the neck, it could be the sanding, it could be the grain raising a bit because of the adjustment. Can't say for sure there.

And the weight? Some like 'em light, some like 'em heavier. Hardly a quality issue.
If your neck is moving that much, it's not a quality instrument. PRS has a process to ensure neck stabiltiy and thier videos say they follow this at cort, at least that's what I was led to believe from some vids I sawy. For the most part, SE has been great for a long time, but you have to eventually wonder why everyone is saying there is a problem of late.

Back