USA Silver Sky v. SE Silver Sky

MarcWink

Okay folks, the gear whore in me is coming out HARD. I got an SE Silver Sky maple in Summit Purple a couple months back as an experiment to see how I would gel with an S-type guitar, and as it turns out, I really like the tones that I get from it. It opens up some doors and fills some gaps that my other PRS guitars don't cover as well (Core 35th Anniversary Custom 24, Core Custom 22 stop tail with Dragon II's, '97 CE 22 Maple Top with Dragon I's and S2 10th Anniversary Custom 24). My journey with the SE Silver Sky has not been rainbows and unicorns, however, as both guitars that I got had some QC issues, the first was bad enough that it had to be exchanged, and the second I was able to remediate my self with some careful filing and polishing of the frets. The question is whether there is enough of a gap between the USA Silver Sky and the SE Silver Sky to justify selling off the SE and putting the proceeds toward a USA model, or whether the SE covers the same ground closely enough that I should simply pull the trigger on the NF-53 I've had my eye on. Unfortunately, the PRS dealers in my area don't have a USA Silver Sky available for me to A-B against the SE, so I turn to you fine folks. My favorite tones out of the SE are from Positions 5, 2, and 1 (with the tone rolled back to about 6 or 7 to mellow out the high end). I know that many of you will say to just get the USA as and the NF-53 and keep the SE, but I unfortunately can't do that since I also just picked up another amp. So, thoughts, criticisms and witicisms are all welcomed.

I got a core Silver Sky and it quickly turned into one of my top 2 go-to guitars. I generally do all my own fret work, and this one was perfect right out of the box.

The only thing I didn't like was the saddle grub screws that stick out higher than I like. But that's a Stratocaster thing. I got variable height ones to solve the issue, no problem.

I might have gotten lucky, but this one is a dream.

I’ll chime in as I only own Se but they are still absolutely tremendous, of course even with core there are differences in woods and balance etc. I didn’t think I’d be accepted into this forum owning SE models but we do what we can and build …. Yes I’m saving for a core/wl it’ll be my present to myself for my 50th.

That being said, any guitar that inspires you to play, create and smile is a guitar worth owning

The SE Silver Sky is a fine guitar and with a bit of TLC can be all the guitar anyone will every need IMHO , some will like the flatter radius and slightly smaller neck , two point trem . to my ear the pickup are also brighter.
The Core Silver Sky ( 2018 ) is exactly what I always wanted my Strats to be.

some will like the flatter radius and slightly smaller neck , two point trem . to my ear the pickup are also brighter.
Seconding this - there are some spec differences between the two. The SE radius of 9.5 is very close the the standard PRS radius of 10, whereas the Core SS has a rounder 7.5. YMMV, but most players will have a preference for one over the other

I liked the SE when it was my sole PRS. But it is the last one I go to now. I have tried the US model in the stores and I feel like they sound different/better to me!

I've take the first step. I sold my SE Silver Sky. Now I'm on the hunt for a maple fretboard Polar Blue USA Silver Sky. On the plus side, the SE Silver Sky Maple is super easy to replace if I wind up finding that I like the slightly flatter 8.5" radius, and from what I can gather, slightly brighter pickups of the SE better. Stay tuned, sports fans.

Just wrote up a formal review on my summit purple Silver Sky SE here

I'm amazed with it because it looks like a strat but doesn't sound or feel anything like one. The neck, to me, is like an Epiphone or Gibson neck and the sound is far more full than any strat I've heard. Don't get me wrong, it's got the "poppiness" but the bass response is far different, setting it apart from strats in general.

So I'm impressed with it.

No clue if that carries over to the Silver Sky core or private stock models. I think they use different pickups. Not sure, never tried one of them.

I actually sat for a bit A/B'ing the core & SE with a couple of different amps. I felt there was definitely a difference in tone, but nothing so profound it made a huge difference to me. On the other hand, or specifically my left, the feel was completely different to me. After about 40 minutes or so, I decided the SE neck just felt much more comfortable to my hand. So that's what I ended up buying with zero regrets.

I've take the first step. I sold my SE Silver Sky. Now I'm on the hunt for a maple fretboard Polar Blue USA Silver Sky. On the plus side, the SE Silver Sky Maple is super easy to replace if I wind up finding that I like the slightly flatter 8.5" radius, and from what I can gather, slightly brighter pickups of the SE better. Stay tuned, sports fans.
There's a clear difference to me in about every way. SS is the PRS take on great strat. The seSS is another strat style guitar. Nothing wrong with that. Just is what it is to me. God knows I've had a ton of S types over the years and a great strat isn't needed to get you there.

I actually sat for a bit A/B'ing the core & SE with a couple of different amps. I felt there was definitely a difference in tone, but nothing so profound it made a huge difference to me. On the other hand, or specifically my left, the feel was completely different to me. After about 40 minutes or so, I decided the SE neck just felt much more comfortable to my hand. So that's what I ended up buying with zero regrets.
Sound is a bit subjective. But the Core version has gone through a few revisions even on the pickups so they all feel and sound a little different. The SE so far has only had maple vs rosewood!

Sound is a bit subjective. But the Core version has gone through a few revisions even on the pickups so they all feel and sound a little different. The SE so far has only had maple vs rosewood!
Subjective was the point, that's why I stressed "it felt much more comfortable to my hand". Not sure what the comparison between revisions on core but only maple/rosewood on SE is about. They haven't changed the neck shape, that was the turn off for me on the core - didn't like the neck on it. I can change pickups, pots/switch, nut, etc to change the sound of the SE if I ever feel the need. The neck carve, I can't. So for me, it has to feel right from the get-go.

That's actually why I've never owned a Fender - I've never played a Strat that the neck carve didn't make me say "eww! no way!"

I'm assuming that the US made Silver Sky doesn't suffer the awful QC and fretwork of the SE, and that's an enormous draw for me. While I enjoyed the sound of my SE, it just bothered me how bad the QC was on the two that I received.

I'm assuming that the US made Silver Sky doesn't suffer the awful QC and fretwork of the SE, and that's an enormous draw for me. While I enjoyed the sound of my SE, it just bothered me how bad the QC was on the two that I received.
Night and day difference

It appears this may be mainly a maple fingerboard/in some climates issue with the SE models (SS and others, and mainly newest ones).

Back