PRS SE Silver Sky Maple Neck/Bird Inlays

REAjr

Just wondering how many of you out there are as confused as me about the huge dip in quality of the SE Silver Sky Maple guitars. Why did the quality go down on the Maple version of these guitars compared to the Rosewood? The neck is not nearly as comfortable as the Rosewood fingerboard version.
The finish is weak. And what happened the the Bird Inlays!!?? My God they look like forgeries.

Has the neck shape changed? What makes it less comfortable?

My experience with the SE Silver Sky Maple is that it's an $850.00 dumpster fire. Definitely not the level of quality that I have come to expect of a PRS guitar in the 24 years I've been playing them. The first SE Silver Sky Maple I received had horrible fret sprout, a badly finished nut, badly finished frets, and dead spots. The replacement that I got on exchange had bad fret sprout, but at least had slightly better finished frets. I still had to do some polishing and smoothing, but there were no dead spots. Sadly, from all I've seen, it's not something uncommon with the SE Silver Sky Maple.

Has the neck shape changed? What makes it less comfortable?
Yes, the neck on the all maple is quite a bit thicker. If that neck was on the maple/rosewood model, I'd have passed completely. I do not like the updated neck profile at all.

Yes. The maple necks are thicker, frets need to be filed, and those god awful bird inlays look drawn on.

Yes. The maple necks are thicker, frets need to be filed, and those god awful bird inlays look drawn on.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?? haha...I would just grab a used S2 something for the same price and be happy...

I'm more than happy with all of my PRS SE guitars. Including the Silver Sky with the Rosewood fingerboard. But I like maple necks as well, was hoping to pick one up.
Every one I've tried has disappointed. Shocking to me because the Rosewood SS is amazing. I have Never had any problems with PRS guitars. Love them!

I have a maple SS SE and I have to say that it doesn’t feel like the Core SS at all. Neither is the sound close between each other.
I was tempted to buy the Core SS a few times but I really wanted the Nebula which is hard to come by!

Back