PRS SE DGT Electronics issues

jp1316

Anyone have any problems with the pots on their DGT SE? I have had two now that have problems. The tone knob basically stopped functioning after say 8. Similar thing with the other guitar but it effected the volume knob for the bridge pickup. Tone and volume roll off was ok until about 8 and then it ceased functioning. Any idea what would cause this. Sent the first one back but want to try to keep the second if it is an easy fix

One might ask, is there really a difference of tone from 8 to 10?

The DGT SE is designed after David Grissom's beloved DGT, which has tone that best works from anywhere from 0 to 5. Anything above that won't have the same tone that DG's DGT has. DG never rode his tone knob too high, hence the lack of need for its functionality above 6 or so.

Am sure if you view several DG YouTube interviews you'll verify what I'm saying here.

If, however, the volume is cutting out...different story. That's a PTC issue the factory can repair if the guitar is new and under warranty...

I notice a change in the tone from 10 to 8. However, the tone pot has no effect on the tone from say 7-0. Same issue with the volume pot on the other guitar. Volume drop 10-8 but then there is no change from 7-0.

My DGT was wired incorrectly from the factory and acted similar to this. I found that the pickups were wired in parallel with the selector switch and output jack and wired incorrectly. So instead of the pickups hot going to terminal 3 and outputting on terminal 2, Mine had the pickup going to term 2, term 1 grounded, and term 3 grounded via the 10 Meg resistor and terminal 2 also going to the selector switch. On 10, the volume pot functioned because the pickup was going directly out via the selector switch. Roll the volume back and the pickup was heading to ground on one side and to ground through the 10 Meg on the other. It acted weird for sure! I rewired it and informed CS of the error and was surprised that their response was that I would void the warranty by repairing my instrument- I was hoping for a hat!

Maybe look and see if yours is wired funny. Pickups should go to term 3 out to switch on middle terminal with term 1 grounded.

My DGT was wired incorrectly from the factory and acted similar to this. I found that the pickups were wired in parallel with the selector switch and output jack and wired incorrectly. So instead of the pickups hot going to terminal 3 and outputting on terminal 2, Mine had the pickup going to term 2, term 1 grounded, and term 3 grounded via the 10 Meg resistor and terminal 2 also going to the selector switch. On 10, the volume pot functioned because the pickup was going directly out via the selector switch. Roll the volume back and the pickup was heading to ground on one side and to ground through the 10 Meg on the other. It acted weird for sure! I rewired it and informed CS of the error and was surprised that their response was that I would void the warranty by repairing my instrument- I was hoping for a hat!

Maybe look and see if yours is wired funny. Pickups should go to term 3 out to switch on middle terminal with term 1 grounded.
That’s a pretty poor response from CS I must say!
The money and time they saved from NOT having to do it themselves and they just get testy with you?
Very disappointing.

That’s a pretty poor response from CS I must say!
The money and time they saved from NOT having to do it themselves and they just get testy with you?
Very disappointing.
I understand that they have a script. My goal was to inform them as I got my guitar early on in January and if it happened to me, there would probably be others. I have two SEs and both had problems. Maybe it's rare but I'm thinking not. I've had other brands with no problems so the PRS cost premium for quality has me questioning. I have about 40 guitars so I have a lot to compare to. That said, I enjoy my PRSs and am glad I have them but it's a good thing I know how to repair guitars as a typical purchaser would have most likely sent them back.

I understand that they have a script. My goal was to inform them as I got my guitar early on in January and if it happened to me, there would probably be others. I have two SEs and both had problems. Maybe it's rare but I'm thinking not. I've had other brands with no problems so the PRS cost premium for quality has me questioning. I have about 40 guitars so I have a lot to compare to. That said, I enjoy my PRSs and am glad I have them but it's a good thing I know how to repair guitars as a typical purchaser would have most likely sent them back.
Not a popular opinion, but to me there isn't a reason to pay a premium for an se besides I'm a huge fan of PRS. There have been too many issues I've experienced first hand and read. Sure, after some work these Indo se are pretty good guitars. I have noticed it does vary some from shop to shop, model to model, and time periods. Either way, PRS should not have these inconsistencies. Love the brand and things will get better, but what's going on lately can't be ignored as a one off or isolated incident.

Remember the good ol days when what we heard most on the se line were nut issues?

Again, I am confident things will be sorted in the long run, but it sucks for those affected in the now.

I notice a change in the tone from 10 to 8. However, the tone pot has no effect on the tone from say 7-0. Same issue with the volume pot on the other guitar. Volume drop 10-8 but then there is no change from 7-0.

That sounds like something is not right.
Nope. Something's not wired correctly. Factory specs produce noticeable tone warmth between 0 - 4, and brighter treble response above 4 to 10. PTC if under warranty or a trusted luthier with PRS knowledge can help solve your issue.

Sounds like a previous owner tried upgrading some pots or toggles and messed up the wiring. It shouldn't be that way from the factory...

Sounds like a previous owner tried upgrading some pots or toggles and messed up the wiring. It shouldn't be that way from the factory...
Nope. Brand new from Sweetwater in mid January 23 so early in the release cycle. I've repaired enough guitars to know it was factory wiring. I fixed it and it sounds great now.

Anyone have any problems with the pots on their DGT SE? I have had two now that have problems. The tone knob basically stopped functioning after say 8. Similar thing with the other guitar but it effected the volume knob for the bridge pickup. Tone and volume roll off was ok until about 8 and then it ceased functioning. Any idea what would cause this. Sent the first one back but want to try to keep the second if it is an easy fix
Yeah, I like the guitar, but this ain’t right, as you roll off the treble, it all comes back in at 1 or 2. When the knob is pulled out for coil tap, sometimes the tone doesn't work at all.
I don’t want to go through the hassle of sending the guitar back, only to get the same tone pot in another one i might like less.
I bought the guitar from Sweetwater.

Back