594 SE Volume/Tone issue

I think the op must be referring to the wiring, not the switch itself.
I don't have this guitar to look at it but I am betting there is plenty of room to fish the wires through the channel for the switch. He said that he had to put the original switch back in which make me wonder how he was doing it. I have a core 594 and I know from doing a pickup change on it that there is plenty of room to fish a wire through mine. I am sure the SE has very similar dimensions. Someone fished the wire through there when it was built. That is why it didn't make sense to me and why I asked.

Vintage braided wire is much thicker than plastic coated wire. And switchcraft switches are a little larger than less expensive ones. However, when I was looking at my guitar, the switch cavity looked okay (in size) for a switchcraft switch.

Vintage braided wire is much thicker than plastic coated wire. And switchcraft switches are a little larger than less expensive ones. However, when I was looking at my guitar, the switch cavity looked okay (in size) for a switchcraft switch.
Agreed but the channels are usually plenty big enough to fish vintage braided wire through them, at least all of the ones I have seen. I bet I could probably fish two wires through the ones I have seen.

Just an FYI if you want to try a different flavor of pickups. Wolf at Wolfetone Pickups has a 25% off sale going on. I purchased a set of Marshallheads from him shipped $215.00. They were built when ordered and on my doorstep in less than a week.
I have never heard of Wolftone PUs. But that means absolutely nothing…there are so many PUs makers out there. Which is a nice dilemma to have.

I don't have this guitar to look at it but I am betting there is plenty of room to fish the wires through the channel for the switch. He said that he had to put the original switch back in which make me wonder how he was doing it. I have a core 594 and I know from doing a pickup change on it that there is plenty of room to fish a wire through mine. I am sure the SE has very similar dimensions. Someone fished the wire through there when it was built. That is why it didn't make sense to me and why I asked.
Yes, I'd have bet big that the Core line would have the channel dimensions done right. But, the SE is not a Stevensville build, and just possibly, the channel on the SE line is smaller because the wire used is spec'd lower. Just possibly.

The other weak link on these 594's is how narrow the wiring holes are from the 3 way selector switch, all the way to the control cavity. I just rewired my 594 Singlecut, and I couldn't get the new 3 way switch with vintage braided wire, and the pickups wiring all the way thru to the control cavity. I ended up having to reinstall the stock 3 way switch, just to make things work.
I had to redrill the channel and the control cavities with a super long drill bit. Not for the faint of heart and definitely a WTH we’re they thinking moment. It’s all in my review/mod thread on TGP.

I know this will sound silly. I want to replace my LP Standard (60’s). I want something that will stand up to some abuse. And sound amazing. I love the way the 594 plays and feels. Sound is okay. Nothing special. I have an Eastman hollowbody that is amazing. I am a huge JB fan. My LP is more of an investment. Anyways. I am open to ideas. Thanks.
Sold my 594 MC SE. Frustrating guitar. Realized my old core McCarty was a much better McCarty, and my Epiphone 59 Reissue Les Paul was a much better Les Paul.

Yes, I'd have bet big that the Core line would have the channel dimensions done right. But, the SE is not a Stevensville build, and just possibly, the channel on the SE line is smaller because the wire used is spec'd lower. Just possibly.
The wire is probably fine. Vintage braided is simply used for nostalgia. It’s the actual pot and grounding that makes the difference. Modern wires will work fine and have for me when upgrading the toggle switch.

Thanks for the D5 suggestions. I tried that and didn’t do a thing. I purchased it off Reverb. The previous owner stated he had removed and then placed the original PUs back in prior to selling on Reverb. Found this out when I pressed him for some answers cause the control cavity wires looked like crap. Once I sorted them out, I made sure the PUs were the correct ones. (They were). But it is funny that both the bridge and neck volume are doing the same thing. Almost like a no-load pot. I think I am going to take it all out and replace the volume pots and tone controls pots (push-push tone only) and the input Jack to a pure tone. Love the play and feel of the guitar. And I got the guitar for .a great price. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks again.
There ya go. Hot Rod that puppy. Clean it up. That’s what guys do! And some girls too.

I had to redrill the channel and the control cavities with a super long drill bit. Not for the faint of heart and definitely a WTH we’re they thinking moment. It’s all in my review/mod thread on TGP.
Do you have the link TGP post on this?

Do you have the link TGP post on this?

Back