Looking for different Volume Pots on McCarty 594

Hank75

It’s a 594 McCarty SE 2019.
It has both 500k Volume, I believe they are Alpha brand. Had made from some foreign place stamped in.
I’m looking to have a more linear response with my volume.
Mine has 2 Vol , 2 push/pull Tone
Fitted with Seymour Duncan JB bridge, and 4 wire 59 SH1 in neck.
I find that I get a rapid volume/tone drop from 10-9. It’s way more pronounced with both humbuckers engaged.
It’s been like this from new, so no change with new HB’s
I tested both with an ohm meter and can see a rapid change going from 10-9, it’s in both pots so I’d imagine it’s not a faulty pot.
Are the Alpha pots just cheap junk?
Is it how the the caps are interacting with the volumes?
Sounds great, just doesn’t have smooth volume control.
Suggestions?

The taper of the core volume pots are my favorite. Before that it was RS guitarworks.

I replaced volume and tone on my SE SAS. I went with Bourns because I wanted a Push-Push tone pot. The SE tone pot had a lousy audio taper which took most of the rotation to lower the tone. The Bourns are audio taper too and work like core PRS pots.

I am a huge fan of the core pots. I love the low friction turning of them. If I were not going with core PRS pots, the only other ones I would buy are Bournes. They also make a low friction version. I would have said CTS as well at one point but they have had too many quality issues in the past few years.

Thank you,
When you say the "Core" pots, Which ones exactly do you mean?
There are number of selections in the accessory page.

Thank you,
When you say the "Core" pots, Which ones exactly do you mean?
There are number of selections in the accessory page.

You can also find these at North East Music Center and John Mann's Guitar Vault.

Checked PRS wiring diagrams and most of the Core diagrams show the .022uf or .033uf tone caps still in place between the tone pot and volume pot in addition to the 180pf one on the volume lug.

Back