McCarty 594 Thinline/Dragon 1 Pickups/s2 G&B pickups...observations

StayContinue

I bought a McCarty 594 Thinline in which the previous owner had installed Dragon 1s ... great live when pushing a more old school amp and using an overdrive. I liked them into my California tweed where the pickups could do a lot of the push - if the whole rig was dialled to those pickups, it could be great at stage volume, especially for leads. My other guitar is an s2 standard 24 that had DiMarzio 36th anniversaries in it from pretty much the get go because I was under the impression that the "upgrade" was to ditch the G&B stock pickups (presumed to be 58/15s). Had a buddy do it and didn't look at those pickups for years. After lots of time amp tweaking between guitars and not enough time playing, decided the drastic difference of the Dragon 1s was the issue. Especially playing hotter amps (have a mesa studio 22 and a recto-verb 25). With the cheapest option to try being the old stock G&B import pickups from my standard 24, I got those installed in the 594 thinline and figured I could sell the D1 and with that cash get whatever I wanted eventually. Turns out the import pickups solved everything I was fighting the D1s with, they were responsive, in the right frequency ranges, had the right amount of compression...etc. Eventually took them out and put them back in the standard they came stock in (first pickup swap of my own doing and LOL the back says G&B 85/15. So not only were these the import that everyone bashes, they were the more "modern" pickup that everyone bashes even more and says is thin. This was such a good lesson in using your ears and not your eyes/bank account. The import 85/15s were fantastic to me in both guitars and I am now looking for some used 85/15 potentially, or something similar. They are apparently perfect for my playing! I have my D1s on reverb but I'd trade them straight for USA 85/15s to get it done haha.

My theory on these is a lot of people play at home volume and at home volume you want every thing in the chain to give a big image at a low volume. This is almost always bad at a high volume and worse in a band mix. I host open jams and through a 1x12 amp that is at bar stage volume and has some juice going, I was hearing leads through the import 85/15 pickups clear as day, over drums, from inside the bathroom with the door closed. They are voiced really well and they let you do a lot at the amp and in the chain. These let me have a thick drive sound and they maintain definition. The neck is just huge sounding but with some slice, and the bridge is "narrower" but right in that snarl range. With the bridge set a little higher than the neck, you can flip and just get a shift in focus without a drop in output.

Please chime in on experience with the 85/15s or similar!

Lies! Lol Just goes to show we're all different. 8515S is what drove me to finally buy a core. Faced with another mod a se or just take the plunge. My experience with the core 8515 wasn't much better. Atleast I got along with the core 8515 neck, but the bridge not so much. Glad it worked out for you. That's awesome to hear.

Wish I had my 8515 to trade.

I bought a McCarty 594 Thinline in which the previous owner had installed Dragon 1s ... great live when pushing a more old school amp and using an overdrive. I liked them into my California tweed where the pickups could do a lot of the push - if the whole rig was dialled to those pickups, it could be great at stage volume, especially for leads. My other guitar is an s2 standard 24 that had DiMarzio 36th anniversaries in it from pretty much the get go because I was under the impression that the "upgrade" was to ditch the G&B stock pickups (presumed to be 58/15s). Had a buddy do it and didn't look at those pickups for years. After lots of time amp tweaking between guitars and not enough time playing, decided the drastic difference of the Dragon 1s was the issue. Especially playing hotter amps (have a mesa studio 22 and a recto-verb 25). With the cheapest option to try being the old stock G&B import pickups from my standard 24, I got those installed in the 594 thinline and figured I could sell the D1 and with that cash get whatever I wanted eventually. Turns out the import pickups solved everything I was fighting the D1s with, they were responsive, in the right frequency ranges, had the right amount of compression...etc. Eventually took them out and put them back in the standard they came stock in (first pickup swap of my own doing and LOL the back says G&B 85/15. So not only were these the import that everyone bashes, they were the more "modern" pickup that everyone bashes even more and says is thin. This was such a good lesson in using your ears and not your eyes/bank account. The import 85/15s were fantastic to me in both guitars and I am now looking for some used 85/15 potentially, or something similar. They are apparently perfect for my playing! I have my D1s on reverb but I'd trade them straight for USA 85/15s to get it done haha.

My theory on these is a lot of people play at home volume and at home volume you want every thing in the chain to give a big image at a low volume. This is almost always bad at a high volume and worse in a band mix. I host open jams and through a 1x12 amp that is at bar stage volume and has some juice going, I was hearing leads through the import 85/15 pickups clear as day, over drums, from inside the bathroom with the door closed. They are voiced really well and they let you do a lot at the amp and in the chain. These let me have a thick drive sound and they maintain definition. The neck is just huge sounding but with some slice, and the bridge is "narrower" but right in that snarl range. With the bridge set a little higher than the neck, you can flip and just get a shift in focus without a drop in output.

Please chime in on experience with the 85/15s or similar!
I'm the same but with the 58/15 S imports. To each their own, but I'm a big fan of these, quite happy with them as stock in 3 guitars and I also bought another pair to install in a different guitar. I also have 2 Core's that have the USA versions, and to my ears while there's a difference, it's not a drastic one, and I'm quite happy to play the imports at least as just as much if not more often.

I'm the same but with the 58/15 S imports. To each their own, but I'm a big fan of these, quite happy with them as stock in 3 guitars and I also bought another pair to install in a different guitar. I also have 2 Core's that have the USA versions, and to my ears while there's a difference, it's not a drastic one, and I'm quite happy to play the imports at least as just as much if not more often.
I am really tempted to put a set of 58/15S pickups in my 2007 McCarty.

I am really tempted to put a set of 58/15S pickups in my 2007 McCarty.
Can you do the soldering work yourself? If so, I'd say go for it. You can usually find them on Reverb for +/- $100 for a set, totally worth giving it a try. Can always swap them out again if you're not happy with them, but I think they'd sound pretty good!

Can you do the soldering work yourself? If so, I'd say go for it. You can usually find them on Reverb for +/- $100 for a set, totally worth giving it a try. Can always swap them out again if you're not happy with them, but I think they'd sound pretty good!
My friend is a very experienced guitar tech, so I would just pay him to do it. Might have to give it a go!

I’ve found that I can only make an improvement over the stock G&B pickups in an SE or S2 by going to USA pickups 57/08 or later. I’ve tried some SD’s and Dimarzios and they never really gave me anything extra over the stock pickups.

Although I did recently put a set of Bareknuckles in an SE and I’m quite impressed with them, so maybe I’ve finally found a brand that can get close.

Lies! Lol Just goes to show we're all different. 8515S is what drove me to finally buy a core. Faced with another mod a se or just take the plunge. My experience with the core 8515 wasn't much better. Atleast I got along with the core 8515 neck, but the bridge not so much. Glad it worked out for you. That's awesome to hear.

Wish I had my 8515 to trade.
For sure - so player and rig dependent. I was really pleasantly surprised at how they work for me. I saw someone else on here saying the D1 are great in a standard and I have not actually tried them in that guitar yet so maybe it's in order.
I’ve found that I can only make an improvement over the stock G&B pickups in an SE or S2 by going to USA pickups 57/08 or later. I’ve tried some SD’s and Dimarzios and they never really gave me anything extra over the stock pickups.

Although I did recently put a set of Bareknuckles in an SE and I’m quite impressed with them, so maybe I’ve finally found a brand that can get close.
word, I like things about dimarzios - they are "articulate" which is also another person's "unforgiving". They just don't sit right frequency wise for me, or I haven't tried the right ones....so many are voiced for LPs or Ibanez with Floyds so I understand the problem with PRS although some people seem to find ones they dig...I haven't actually tried American PRS Pickups outside of the D1 and am looking to not spend a fortune on getting them new! It seems like there aren't really other ones in the 85/15 vein, unless I'm wrong...would love to try any of the newer ones, if they are all voiced for PRS they should all somewhat work to varying degrees

There is a pair of Dragon 1's for sale?!

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!!
Haha. Yes, they're on reverb for 500 each :p White label, covered. Or straight trade for a set of any of the newer pickups. Apologies for playing into the outrageous price game. Cost of living is stupid and I am not in the collector income bracket/already payed out heavy for the s2 that had these in it thinking it would be worth it but not my thing!

Haha. Yes, they're on reverb for 500 each :p White label, covered. Or straight trade for a set of any of the newer pickups. Apologies for playing into the outrageous price game. Cost of living is stupid and I am not in the collector income bracket/already payed out heavy for the s2 that had these in it thinking it would be worth it but not my thing!
Lol! They pop up for a little more than half+ that for a pair. I was wondering why they didn't show up in my feed. Now I know why.. I have a cap on asking price.

D1 typically aren't covered and those covers look added if I'm looking at the right ones on reverb in Canada. I'd share a link, but I don't want to support price gouging :D At least us in the states get the aid of exchange rate.

Last edited:
Back