S2 594 Thinline vs McCarty variants

MWebster

Hello,

I've been on the McCarty train as of late. Mostly as an alternative to my 60's LP's. Still trying to stay within that realm. Firstly I was looking at regular 594's, then the 594 soapbar's, then considered the S2 594 10th anniversary and then realized there's an S2 594 Thinline with a thinner neck.

People say the S2 thinline also sounds smashing with the stock SE 58/15 LT "S" pickups and it's got a thinner neck profile which I personally prefer. The build on an S2 is so good, I'm not worried about craftsmanship differences. Is this the right way to go, with a Thinline? Was looking for opinions, I kinda dig that the Thinline is an all Hog beast. Can some people chime in that have dabbled in the various models?

The Thinline is my perfect Doublecut Starla. Wish it came with the pattern vintage or even pattern regular neck but the thin neck doesn’t feel too bad.

It’s on my short list of guitars for sure.

You probably need to play it in person, but I'm personally very sad when I think about the 594 Thinline I sold in 2021. I keep thinking about replacing it but the price is $300 or so higher today than it was back when I bought it so it always gives me pause. The Mahi Blue looks great though!

You probably need to play it in person, but I'm personally very sad when I think about the 594 Thinline I sold in 2021. I keep thinking about replacing it but the price is $300 or so higher today than it was back when I bought it so it always gives me pause. The Mahi Blue looks great though!
Did you ever compare it to the other 594's? There's lots of love for them around here it seems.

Why's that? Which others have you tried? It does seem like a nice middle ground between traditional styling without the huge neck.
I've played more than I can count of all variants and lines. I wanted to love the 594, but a few things didn't work for me. Ended up with a SC58 instead. I still try them from time to time. Nice guitars, and not talking trash, but they l don't work for me.

The thinline is a PRS SG to me. I liked it from the first time. Balanced, comfortable, and all hog. What's not to love?

Last edited:
I've played more than I can count of all variants and lines. I wanted to love the 594, but a few things didn't work for me. Ended up with a SC58 instead. I still try them from time to time. Nice guitars, and not talking trash, but they l don't work for me.

The thinline is a PRS SG to me. I liked it from the first time. Balanced, comfortable, and all hog. What's not to love?
Do you still have both SC58 and Thinline? I never looked into the single cut's, 58's or anything. More reading to do! There's a few for sale used near me.

Do you still have both SC58 and Thinline? I never looked into the single cut's, 58's or anything. More reading to do! There's a few for sale used near me.
I still have the SC58 and haven't picked up a thinline yet. Still trying to convince myself to sell my SG. I almost do, everytime I play one. PRS recently discontinued the finish I want so time is a ticking..

I can't recommend the SC58 enough. It's everything I ever wanted out of a singlecut. Besides a trem and I have that in my Tremonti. That does everything else I could want out of a singlecut.

Back