Pattern Vintage vs Wide Fat Necks?

Jaw3000

Does anyone have any personal experience or information about how the Pattern Vintage neck differs from the Wide Fat neck on the SE models? According to the little information available in the specs, it’s basically exactly the same thickness at the nut, body, and ½ fret (42.85mm, 57.15mm, 22.22mm) and is less than a mm different at the 12 1/2 fret - 24.20mm on the Wide Fat vs 24.99mm on the Pattern Vintage. What the specs don’t say is whether this is the thickest part of the Pattern Vintage carve (24.99mm), or if its thicker at some point along, or the effect of the asymmetrical carve.

I’m use to playing both a SE Paul’s Guitar and a SE McCarty 594, which both have the wide fat carve, and recently got the chance to play an S2 McCarty 594 with the pattern vintage. The Pattern Vintage felt a lot thicker, and as if I was reaching a lot more than on the SEs. I was surprised because its supposed to be basically the same, and I really don’t think I would feel a difference of less than 1mm if that’s all it actually is. I’m also feeling it around the 1-3 frets, not 12th, so I don’t really know what’s going on. Perhaps it’s the asymmetrical cut.

Besides that, wow. People talk about how good the SE instruments are, but the S2 is a far superior guitar in every single way. The tone is exceptional. It also has the 58/15 LT TCI pickups and electronics (anniversary edition), which are so much better, clearer, and richer in every way over the S pickups in both the SE Paul’s and McCarty. It’s a shame these S pickups are the standard on the S2 models as that is about their only drawback.

I’m use to playing both a SE Paul’s Guitar and a SE McCarty 594, which both have the wide fat carve, and recently got the chance to play an S2 McCarty 594 with the pattern vintage.
The se594 is pattern vintage

As far as I know the SE 594 has the pattern vintage neck carve.
And the S2 guitars have the exact same pickups as the SE guitars.
Its the reason I have decided to stick with upgraded (tuners, knobs n such) SE guitars. They work for me.

Besides that, wow. People talk about how good the SE instruments are, but the S2 is a far superior guitar in every single way. The tone is exceptional. It also has the 58/15 LT TCI pickups and electronics (anniversary edition), which are so much better, clearer, and richer in every way over the S pickups in both the SE Paul’s and McCarty. It’s a shame these S pickups are the standard on the S2 models as that is about their only drawback.
I used to be in the se over s2 camp.. Then I owned a s2 and understood. Yes, it's disappointing the same pickups, but it's a heck of a lot easier to swap pickups vs wood selection, frets, and finish. They have to save cost somehow and pickups is one of those places. Doesn't upset me too much because chances are high I'd swap pickups anyhow. The 594 for example, I'd go with a different bridge pickup over the LT.

You can score a used core SC58 for about the same money as a new s2594. It has 5708 pickups, pattern profile, and P3 locking tuners. All three of those things are my favorite PRS has to offer in their category.

I love the stock pickups in my se guitars. The 24 08 only has thornbuckers in it because I bought it that way.

The differences may seem slight, but in the world of neck profiles, everything is a speed bump.

The Wide Fat and Pattern Vintage necks are different in every way. They were never intended to be “the same”. The WF carve mates with the PRS standard 25-inch scale length and was the standard carve for quite some time. Whenever I switch to WF from the PV, the WF feels faster.

The PV carve goes with the 594 scale length, is asymmetrical, and intentionally larger feeling, but in a comfortable way. It is the 594 standard carve. It’s by far my favorite neck carve from PRS, but I didn’t feel that way immediately. It’s just so comfortable when combined with the 594 scale’s playability. It’s top notch.

The differences may seem slight, but in the world of neck profiles, everything is a speed bump.

The Wide Fat and Pattern Vintage necks are different in every way. They were never intended to be “the same”. The WF carve mates with the PRS standard 25-inch scale length and was the standard carve for quite some time. Whenever I switch to WF from the PV, the WF feels faster.

The PV carve goes with the 594 scale length, is asymmetrical, and intentionally larger feeling, but in a comfortable way. It is the 594 standard carve. It’s by far my favorite neck carve from PRS, but I didn’t feel that way immediately. It’s just so comfortable when combined with the 594 scale’s playability. It’s top notch.
I was playing the new Studio at lunch time yesterday and swapped to the 594. Both necks are great. The 594 felt a slight bit larger when I switched over to it but in a comfortable way. These are by far my two favorite PRS neck carves. I have a couple with the Regular carve. I was really afraid I was not going to like that slightly narrower neck but it was a quick adjustment as is the DGT.

I used to be in the se over s2 camp.. Then I owned a s2 and understood. Yes, it's disappointing the same pickups, but it's a heck of a lot easier to swap pickups vs wood selection, frets, and finish. They have to save cost somehow and pickups is one of those places. Doesn't upset me too much because chances are high I'd swap pickups anyhow. The 594 for example, I'd go with a different bridge pickup over the LT.

You can score a used core SC58 for about the same money as a new s2594. It has 5708 pickups, pattern profile, and P3 locking tuners. All three of those things are my favorite PRS has to offer in their category.
I've heard Phil McKnight say that pickups are very cheap to produce, even the high-end ones (excluding CuNiFe). Not sure how true it is, but he seems to know what he's talking about.

If true, the cost cutting would be with the factory workers and wood carves (laminates, veneers, etc.)

That would include pickups made overseas when talking a US guitar.
Yes, but there's no reason these overseas guitars can't use better components when the cost, even when mass produced, is about the same. Epiphone Probuckers are made overseas and are made of quality materials.

Yes, but there's no reason these overseas guitars can't use better components when the cost, even when mass produced, is about the same. Epiphone Probuckers are made overseas and are made of quality materials.

PRS import pickups sound infinitely better than the epi probuckers IMO...

PRS import pickups sound infinitely better than the epi probuckers IMO...
There's some debate as to whether or not the 58/15 "S" bridge pickups are actually rebranded pickups, as many think they sound the exact same and have been found to have the same output.

There's some debate as to whether or not the 58/15 "S" bridge pickups are actually rebranded pickups, as many think they sound the exact same and have been found to have the same output.

Interesting. I don't find the 58/15S to sound particularly similar to the probuckers that were in my sheraton pro II personally, but that analysis is compelling

Yes, sure PRS could put US pickups in a se some day.. Maybe? Epi has some models now. The epi custom shop has been going on for a long time and it was a progression. They had the US spec electronics years before the pickups made there way to the guitars.

Yes, there is a manufacturing cost difference in pickups made in US and overseas. Besides the costs associated, there's the volume to keep pace. More se guitars are sold than core every year. Even taking cost and volume out of the equation, there's the retail value. Core pickups retail for about 5x the se's sister retail versions.

I personally think the 5815S/LTS are pretty good pickups for what they are and don't have an issue with them being used in the se or s2. I have a set that keeps fighting above its weight class to stay in my Hb2..

Last edited:
I think some of you look down on the SE guitars when in fact for many of us they are a high quality affordable guitar
at the price point of the SE PRS has provided a product that immediately stands out against other affordable guitars
I could tell the minute I picked up my SE that it was a cut above what I have looked at as affordable for me
I have been fortunate in that I have access to some very nice high end Guitars through a very good friend of mine
but still I keep coming back to my SE
I love the guitar and enjoy playing it
yes there are higher quality guitars available but not at my price

So... was directed here on a google search for PRS neck profiles.... I own a DGT. According to this resource, the "Pattern" and "Wide Fat" are exactly the same:

I love my DGT, but as someone with large palms and slightly shorter fingers, I'm finding it just tad "much" for me. It's not uncomfortable or anything, I just feel better on slightly thinner necks (a Pattern Thin would probably be perfect for me). Anyway...

I know this is a weird question, considering the cost of these instruments, but... has anyone ever had a PRS neck re-shaped? I could probably do the re-shaping myself, but I don't have the skills (or tools) for the re-finish...but beyond that, just wondering if anyone here has thought it "worth it" to do such a thing, to such an expensive instrument? I realize most people will likely say "sell the guitar and find the PRS you like with the Pattern Thin", BUT... we all know there's something symbiotically special about DGTs. I don't want ANOTHER PRS, I want THIS one, just wish the neck was a little more comfy...

So... was directed here on a google search for PRS neck profiles.... I own a DGT. According to this resource, the "Pattern" and "Wide Fat" are exactly the same:

I love my DGT, but as someone with large palms and slightly shorter fingers, I'm finding it just tad "much" for me. It's not uncomfortable or anything, I just feel better on slightly thinner necks (a Pattern Thin would probably be perfect for me). Anyway...

I know this is a weird question, considering the cost of these instruments, but... has anyone ever had a PRS neck re-shaped? I could probably do the re-shaping myself, but I don't have the skills (or tools) for the re-finish...but beyond that, just wondering if anyone here has thought it "worth it" to do such a thing, to such an expensive instrument? I realize most people will likely say "sell the guitar and find the PRS you like with the Pattern Thin", BUT... we all know there's something symbiotically special about DGTs. I don't want ANOTHER PRS, I want THIS one, just wish the neck was a little more comfy...
Check with the PTC. They used to do recharges. Not sure if they still do.

Check with the PTC. They used to do recharges. Not sure if they still do.

Recharges? Do you mean reshaping necks? I found a post here from 2022 that said PTC no longer reshapes necks.

Back