NGD: 2016 Custom 22 Trem (and a Pattern Thin Neck Carve assessment)

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Haven't had an NGD since Tuesday, so I figured I was due for another one! LOL... :)

Here is a used 2016 Custom 22 that was a great find for me given my current preferences. I have talked about how I am preferring Pattern Thin Necks, Trems and guitars with Black Backs and Necks.

I am really digging the Custom 24's for that reason, but I kind of still have a slight preference for the geometry and ergonomics of the 22 Fret PRS Doublecut - I adore my 25" McCarty, it feels like "home" for me. So I was searching for something that was 22 Fret Doublecut, 2 Humbuckers, a Pattern Thin Neck Carve, and a Trem. Not easy to find such a beast! It doesn't seem to exist out there in a Core guitar. McCarty's were always Wide Fat or Pattern Necks. Custom 22's seem to have been Wide Fat / Pattern, or Regular / Pattern Regular.

The only place a Pattern Thin exists in the 2024 Core lineup is the Custom 24 Models, and the Tremonti.

So when I came across this used Custom 22 with a Pattern Thin Neck on Reverb, described as Mint Condition and hardly played, I couldn't resist! This is a 10-Top in Grey Black.

fsZ5T4s.jpg

m8108LN.jpg

AnxaOkZ.jpg

WPSDC0Y.jpg

dxUgqQv.jpg

I have had some challenging experiences over the years buying used guitars on Reverb from private sellers. I can think of several that went horribly, that I had to call them out on the condition as being way off, and had to return for a refund. (I don't buy that many used guitars, mostly new.) Not this time - the seller was great to work with, and the guitar was pretty immaculate, especially for an 8 year old guitar! It was built in 2016, the buyer bought it in 2018 from Sweetwater. The only imperfection is that there is a small spot where the finish has a small "misty" spot at the edge of the guitar on the top. About the width of a thumbnail, about 1/8" thick from the edge of the body, to the right of the 5-Way when the guitar is hanging or standing straight up. Once you see it you always notice it, but it is pretty small and for a used guitar at a good price, I am fine with it given it was the only issue. (You can see that misty spot best in the third and fifth pictures above - not a huge deal.) No dings or scratches, not even buckle rash or signs of wear on the back, which is pretty impressive for a guitar with a Black Back. One of the tuners is a little tight to turn, I may need to replace it. But it works fine for now. My guitar setup guy says the frets show basically zero signs of wear, as if it had hardly been played.

(It came with Chrome Tuner knobs, I swapped to Black ones right away.)

One of the reasons I bought it was because I am thinking of spec'ing a Private Stock sometime this year. I am thinking of something like this, but with Custom 2408 Switching. So like a 22 Fret version of the Custom 2408. Before going down that expensive path of a Private Stock, best to be sure and experience it first. This was a good to find to check it out and see if that is something I would want. (The other primary thought I had was to do the same but in McCarty body thickness. So like a McCarty Trem with a Pattern Thin Neck and 2408 switching.)

I like it! It is pretty much everything I thought it would be.

But as I played it twice today, I made an interesting discovery / assessment - the current day Pattern Thin is not the same as this 2016 Pattern Thin Neck Carve. Every neck is going to be a little different, but still - when I played this, it instantly brought back memories of the many older PRS guitars with Wide Thin and Pattern Thin Necks that I had bought and not liked, and many more that I had played at a shop or someone else's guitar.

I knew right away what the difference was - the shoulders are much softer on the current day Pattern Thin versus the 2016 Pattern Thin (and my memory of previous Pattern/Wide Thin Necks have noticeably harder/sharper shoulders. The harder shoulders of the 2016 make the Neck Width (in the Nut direction) seem bigger, and also as a result makes the neck seem thinner. It tricks your brain in that regard, and feels way more different than the Pattern (formerly Wide Fat) Neck.

I do like the newer spec for the Pattern Thin with the softer shoulders. It just feels like a cozy Pattern Neck with a slightly shallower Neck depth. I am pretty certain on this assessment, I A/B'ed with all 4 of my current day Pattern Thin necks (one 2022 and three 2023's). All 4 had the softer shoulders.

Interesting!! Now it makes a little more sense to me that I previously didn't as much so like the Pattern/Wide Thin Neck Carve, and now I do. This perceived difference of softer shoulders is a big part of that for me. It feels more like the Pattern neck but a little thinner, which makes it easier to go back and forth, they are less different. For playing things that you want a "faster" feeling neck for, I prefer this newer Pattern Thin feel over the Pattern feel. But they are not too far apart in shape, more so just the neck depth dimension.

That all said, I don't think that I will be disappointed with the guitar and the harder shoulders. Now that I know what it is, I think I can live with it, and enjoy the benefits of having a 22 Fret Custom with a Pattern Thin Neck.

The pickups are 58/15's, the original ones before the LT ones came out. They are nice, they remind me of 5708's.

Haven't had an NGD since Tuesday, so I figured I was due for another one! LOL... :)

Here is a used 2016 Custom 22 that was a great find for me given my current preferences. I have talked about how I am preferring Pattern Thin Necks, Trems and guitars with Black Backs and Necks.

I am really digging the Custom 24's for that reason, but I kind of still have a slight preference for the geometry and ergonomics of the 22 Fret PRS Doublecut - I adore my 25" McCarty, it feels like "home" for me. So I was searching for something that was 22 Fret Doublecut, 2 Humbuckers, a Pattern Thin Neck Carve, and a Trem. Not easy to find such a beast! It doesn't seem to exist out there in a Core guitar. McCarty's were always Wide Fat or Pattern Necks. Custom 22's seem to have been Wide Fat / Pattern, or Regular / Pattern Regular.

The only place a Pattern Thin exists in the 2024 Core lineup is the Custom 24 Models, and the Tremonti.

So when I came across this used Custom 22 with a Pattern Thin Neck on Reverb, described as Mint Condition and hardly played, I couldn't resist! This is a 10-Top in Grey Black.

fsZ5T4s.jpg

m8108LN.jpg

AnxaOkZ.jpg

WPSDC0Y.jpg

dxUgqQv.jpg

I have had some challenging experiences over the years buying used guitars on Reverb from private sellers. I can think of several that went horribly, that I had to call them out on the condition as being way off, and had to return for a refund. (I don't buy that many used guitars, mostly new.) Not this time - the seller was great to work with, and the guitar was pretty immaculate, especially for an 8 year old guitar! It was built in 2016, the buyer bought it in 2018 from Sweetwater. The only imperfection is that there is a small spot where the finish has a small "misty" spot at the edge of the guitar on the top. About the width of a thumbnail, about 1/8" thick from the edge of the body, to the right of the 5-Way when the guitar is hanging or standing straight up. Once you see it you always notice it, but it is pretty small and for a used guitar at a good price, I am fine with it given it was the only issue. (You can see that misty spot best in the third and fifth pictures above - not a huge deal.) No dings or scratches, not even buckle rash or signs of wear on the back, which is pretty impressive for a guitar with a Black Back. One of the tuners is a little tight to turn, I may need to replace it. But it works fine for now. My guitar setup guy says the frets show basically zero signs of wear, as if it had hardly been played.

One of the reasons I bought it was because I am thinking of spec'ing a Private Stock sometime this year. I am thinking of something like this, but with Custom 2408 Switching. So like a 22 Fret version of the Custom 2408. Before going down that expensive path of a Private Stock, best to be sure and experience it first. This was a good to find to check it out and see if that is something I would want. (The other primary thought I had was to do the same but in McCarty body thickness. So like a McCarty Trem with a Pattern Thin Neck and 2408 switching.)

But as I played it twice today, I made an interesting discovery / assessment - the current day Pattern Thin is not the same as this 2016 Pattern Thin Neck Carve. Every neck is going to be a little different, but still - when I played this, it instantly brought back memories of the many older PRS guitars with Wide Thin and Pattern Thin Necks that I had bought and not liked, and many more that I had played at a shop or someone else's guitar.

I knew right away what the difference was - the shoulders are much softer on the current day Pattern Thin versus the 2016 Pattern Thin (and my memory of previous Pattern/Wide Thin Necks have noticeably harder/sharper shoulders. The harder shoulders of the 2016 make the Neck Width (in the Nut direction) seem bigger, and also as a result makes the neck seem thinner. It tricks your brain in that regard, and feels way more different than the Pattern (formerly Wide Fat) Neck.

I do like the newer spec for the Pattern Thin with the softer shoulders. It just feels like a cozy Pattern Neck with a slightly shallower Neck depth. I am pretty certain on this assessment, I A/B'ed with all 4 of my current day Pattern Thin necks (one 2022 and three 2023's). All 4 had the softer shoulders.

Interesting!! Now it makes a little more sense to me that I previously didn't as much so like the Pattern/Wide Thin Neck Carve, and now I do. This perceived difference of softer shoulders is a big part of that for me. It feels more like the Pattern neck but a little thinner, which makes it easier to go back and forth, they are less different. For playing things that you want a "faster" feeling neck for, I prefer this newer Pattern Thin feel over the Pattern feel. But they are not too far apart in shape, more so just the neck depth dimension.

That all said, I don't think that I will be disappointed with the guitar and the harder shoulders. Now that I know what it is, I think I can live with it, and enjoy the benefits of having a 22 Fret Custom with a Pattern Thin Neck.

The pickups are 58/15's, the original ones before the LT ones came out. They are nice, they remind me of 5708's.
I like when you get into the NGD mode.
Very interesting insight on the new pattern thin shape. I need to try the new ones out as I am just not a fan of the old pattern thin
Also makes a lot of sense to try some things out before speccing a private stock

Congrats! Looks like a nice guitar. I am a big fan of the CU22. That is what my first PRS was and I still have it. I was not a fan of the Dragon II pickups and that was my only complaint about the guitar. In 2009 when PRS did the pickup promotion I bought a guitar and sent my CU22 in for a pickup swap. I had 57/08 pickups put in it. That really improved the sound of the guitar for me. It is still one of my favorite guitars and I will keep it until the end.

The one you bought is truly a hard spec to find. They made most of the CU22 guitars with the W/F / Pattern necks. There were a few that were made with W/T / Pattern Thin but they are few and far between. Mine is from before they started using the 5 way blade. It has McCarty electronics with the 3 way instead of the rotary. I like the tones the 5 way adds. Both of my P22s have the 5 way blade. Those two extra tones are really nice to have. My P22 Trem looks a lot like the CU22 you have. It is the same finish, which is a custom color for the P22.

Well that explains why I don’t care for the wide thin neck on my 08 Mira. It feels very flat to me and I couldn’t figure out why. My 2017 CE24 feels a little better and my 2020 24-08 feels perfect, I guess they reduced the shoulders gradually over the years.

It is great to hear others validating here my assessment of older Wide Thin / Pattern Thin Necks, versus the modern day Pattern Thin!

Dear PRS - The newer evolution of today's Pattern Thin Neck Carve is AMAZING! Please keep it like it is. :)

This guitar is getting the most play right now. For me it is like the perfect combination of all of the things I like best about the Custom 24 and the 25" McCarty, wrapped into one guitar.

What a unicorn find this guitar is! I am so glad I found it, and so pleased it was so dead mint. It is like a brand new guitar! Incredible, for a 2016 guitar.

I guess to get another one like this (in more so a spec of my choosing) I will need to spec one myself. ;)

Last edited:
Nice thing is if you do like that guitar rolling the fretboard edges is not a hard operation , I do have a CU22 with a Pattern neck and McCarty pickups in it if you want to compare :) sometime

Last edited:
Congratulations; looks terrific!

However the search for WT intregues me. Might be an "other side of the pond thing" but I had to look hard for non WT CU22s. Only found (used) guitars with WT neck carve. I don't mind the WT, but prefer a beefier carve like the McC. Settled for a beautiful HT CU22, with WT carve.

fsZ5T4s.jpg

m8108LN.jpg

AnxaOkZ.jpg

WPSDC0Y.jpg

dxUgqQv.jpg

Nice

Another beautiful find, Pete.

Enjoy the heck out of it for...uh.,,long enough for me to post my congrats while you still have it! ;)

Thanks!

This one is probably the safest one in the collection as far as staying the longest. It is worth the least to sell, and it seems to be my favorite of the bunch! ;)

I like it so much that it makes my brain hurt, because it makes me wonder why I need all these other guitars, if this one is my favorite. And I just can't go get another one in a slightly different spec, like I am used to doing when I like something. (Not a new one anyway, short of spec'ing a Private Stock and waiting over a year for it.)

Congratulations; looks terrific!

However the search for WT intregues me. Might be an "other side of the pond thing" but I had to look hard for non WT CU22s. Only found (used) guitars with WT neck carve. I don't mind the WT, but prefer a beefier carve like the McC. Settled for a beautiful HT CU22, with WT carve.

Oh, interesting! That gives me hope that I might be able to find another Custom 22 with a Wide Thin Neck, if I am patient and just keep an eye out for one. Thanks for the comment!

This one is probably the safest one in the collection as far as staying the longest. It is worth the least to sell, and it seems to be my favorite of the bunch! ;)
I get it.

Actually, my M.O. is much like yours; I've churned a lot of PRS' over the years. It's probably why I relate to your thought process - I do much the same thing, spending a certain amount of time not simply playing, but evaluating and comparing.

It just just takes me longer to decide whether to stand pat, or roll the dice and see if a different guitar will be marriage material!

For me, a year or two is needed to decide that, if I like the guitar enough to buy it.

However, there are individual guitars that transcend the model, the carve, the scale length, and the features. I remain in love every time I play each one, and those turn out to be guitars I hold onto for a decade or more.

Last edited:
How is that semi hollow? I assume it is one of those without an f-hole?

Back