Yes, another one - Modern Eagle V in Purple Mist

MA Pete

Pattern Thin Convert!
Okay, now it is getting a little silly - but in my defense a couple are going out, and a couple/few are coming in to replace them.

I really loved the 2024 Spec Custom 24 in Carroll Blue! I dig those Paul's Guitar pickups. But I wanted another 22 Fret 25" PRS, I had 3 Custom 24's and just 1 25" 22 Fret Doublecut, the McCarty Sunburst 25" McCarty.

After acquiring the SC 594 in Purple Mist and the Custom 2408 in Faded Whale Blue, I seem to somehow be obsessed with PRS finishes with Black Backs and Necks, which I find really odd, as I used to very much dislike them and had only owned a few over the journey.

So, to sort of "replace" the outgoing Custom 2408 with Paul's Guitar pickups (which for sale now in the usual places, still available), and with 22 Frets and a Black Back and Neck, I present to you here a Modern Eagle V in Purple Mist.

[Edit: Pics removed as I ended up returning the guitar in exchange for another PRS guitar. More on that coming soon! :)]

This is a really great guitar! The consistency of the Core PRS guitars these days is really quite impressive. Another great example here.

It checks the boxes for me that it is basically a replacement of the Custom 2408 with the Paul's Pickups, but in 22 Frets. HOWEVER - I still really like the Custom 2408 version with the 24 Frets, the Wide Thin Neck carve, and the simplicity of two pickups versus 3. Also I think I am actually greatly preferring the Pattern Thin Neck Carve over the Pattern Neck Carve, also for the first time ever. After playing the Whale Blue Custom 2408, this neck on this one feels pretty beefy (and slow)! I am still going to sell the Carroll Blue one, but I have a feeling I might still get another one down the road. ;)

For a first impression of the middle pickup and how this guitar is different than the Custom 2408 in that regard - the Middle Pickup does indeed provide another level of flexibility with regard to tones. I went from playing some metal riffs on the bridge pickup to switching to a Roland Jazz Chorus model on the Quad Cortex and trying all the positions on the 5 way - holy cow does this guitar have some great Stratty tones!

The other thing in the mix here for me is that while I loved the tones and the looks/vibe of the Singlecut 594 in Purple Mist, I was just not at all bonding with the scale length. Not one bit - weird! So I returned that one today as well, back to all 25 inch scale PRS guitars, and I guess I will keep it that way for the foreseeable future. That actually simplifies things for me a lot, no distractions with the notion of two scale lengths back and forth, which one do I like better, and wanting to experiment further with a DC 594 and/or a 594 Santana. Just 25 inchers! Nice and simple, and less choices. :)

Also as I mentioned on another thread, I have a used (2016) Custom 22 Trem with a Pattern Thin Neck coming in soon. I think that will be a nice complement in the mix as well, 3 DC 22 Fret Guitars (2 with Pattern Necks and 1 with Pattern Thin), 2 Custom 24's and a Tremonti. 6 PRS guitars, all 6 25 inch scale and 4 of them Pattern Thin, and 3 with Black Backs and Necks - go figure! All that is a big change for me, but at the same time it is very refreshing, fun and new for me.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone!

Another note on the Middle Pickup. The placement is brilliant. It seems lower than other middle pickups, like for instance the PRS Narrowfield ones, I have not hit it once yet with the pick.

I can't say that about the many NF 3-pickup models I have owned over the years, those middle pickups seemed to bother me in getting in the way of my picking...

Okay, now it is getting a little silly - but in my defense a couple are going out, and a couple/few are coming in to replace them.

I really loved the 2024 Spec Custom 24 in Carroll Blue! I dig those Paul's Guitar pickups. But I wanted another 22 Fret 25" PRS, I had 3 Custom 24's and just 1 25" 22 Fret Doublecut, the McCarty Sunburst 25" McCarty.

After acquiring the SC 594 in Purple Mist and the Custom 2408 in Faded Whale Blue, I seem to somehow be obsessed with PRS finishes with Black Backs and Necks, which I find really odd, as I used to very much dislike them and had only owned a few over the journey.

So, to sort of "replace" the outgoing Custom 2408 with Paul's Guitar pickups (which for sale now in the usual places, still available), and with 22 Frets and a Black Back and Neck, I present to you here a Modern Eagle V in Purple Mist.

gCpCITr.jpg

VZV1ZNj.jpg

fu4Lpq2.jpg

n5rBV74.jpg

qvnvADS.jpg

This is a really great guitar! The consistency of the Core PRS guitars these days is really quite impressive. Another great example here.

It checks the boxes for me that it is basically a replacement of the Custom 2408 with the Paul's Pickups, but in 22 Frets. HOWEVER - I still really like the Custom 2408 version with the 24 Frets, the Wide Thin Neck carve, and the simplicity of two pickups versus 3. Also I think I am actually greatly preferring the Pattern Thin Neck Carve over the Pattern Neck Carve, also for the first time ever. After playing the Whale Blue Custom 2408, this neck on this one feels pretty beefy (and slow)! I am still going to sell the Carroll Blue one, but I have a feeling I might still get another one down the road. ;)

For a first impression of the middle pickup and how this guitar is different than the Custom 2408 in that regard - the Middle Pickup does indeed provide another level of flexibility with regard to tones. I went from playing some metal riffs on the bridge pickup to switching to a Roland Jazz Chorus model on the Quad Cortex and trying all the positions on the 5 way - holy cow does this guitar have some great Stratty tones!

The other thing in the mix here for me is that while I loved the tones and the looks/vibe of the Singlecut 594 in Purple Mist, I was just not at all bonding with the scale length. Not one bit - weird! So I returned that one today as well, back to all 25 inch scale PRS guitars, and I guess I will keep it that way for the foreseeable future. That actually simplifies things for me a lot, no distractions with the notion of two scale lengths back and forth, which one do I like better, and wanting to experiment further with a DC 594 and/or a 594 Santana. Just 25 inchers! Nice and simple, and less choices. :)

Also as I mentioned on another thread, I have a used (2016) Custom 22 Trem with a Pattern Thin Neck coming in soon. I think that will be a nice complement in the mix as well, 3 DC 22 Fret Guitars (2 with Pattern Necks and 1 with Pattern Thin), 2 Custom 24's and a Tremonti. 6 PRS guitars, all 6 25 inch scale and 4 of them Pattern Thin, and 3 with Black Backs and Necks - go figure! All that is a big change for me, but at the same time it is very refreshing, fun and new for me.
Nice

Thanks, everyone!

Another note on the Middle Pickup. The placement is brilliant. It seems lower than other middle pickups, like for instance the PRS Narrowfield ones, I have not hit it once yet with the pick.

I can't say that about the many NF 3-pickup models I have owned over the years, those middle pickups seemed to bother me in getting in the way of my picking...
Same here. Triple soap cu22 was the same way. Kept hitting the middle pickup with my pick.

Hated that.

pete, that is a great score! surprised you didnt track down the one with the swamp ash back and flamed maple neck. :p

Pete did make a recent disclaimer…..

Ha-ha! I actually thought of that, getting a Private Stock or Wood Library one with a Maple Neck and maybe the Swamp Ash Body, to go more down the Strat path of wood combination. I wanted this to have the PRS Gibson formula mix of woods for the Bridge Humbucker and Neck Humbucker tones, and then still be able to do the Strattier tones split and all the tones across the 5-way.

Now I am planning to get another Custom 2408 with the Paul's Pickups (again, and in a different finish), because I still think that has its own thing going on. So maybe I should have gone for the Strattier wood combo for the ME V, LOL!

Oh well, an excuse to buy another one down the road, I suppose! ;)

Back