Yet another "MA Pete Return" NGD - Custom 2408

Beautiful guitar! I bought an SE CU24 and put in taps and mini toggles, because I love having the single-ish coil sound on tap for a lot of the music I play. When I decided to buy my first core recently, I wanted the same options and maybe more.

I was looking at the Specials and The ME Vs, but I realized that I've never really liked 5 way switches for live music. I really wanted to stay with the 3 way selector. So I picked up my WL CU24-08, and it's a 2023 with the TCI tuned 85/15s in it. I'm super happy with it, other than I have already marked up the satin finish on it like crazy. I didn't realize the satin finish would be that delicate. But, I bought it to play the crap out if it, and so I shall. lol

Congrats on the new additional to your guitar wall of awesome!

Okay, this will be my last one for a while. :)

Whoops! I didn't make it very long.

Have a couple more coming in now, a used Custom 22 Trem with a Wide Thin Neck, wanted to try something like a Custom 24, but in a 22 Fret version. (You know, just in case I wanted spec a Private Stock or something like that, and I wanted to decide what exactly to spec.) ;)

Also I ordered a Modern Eagle V. I am really liking the Paul's Guitar pickups in the Custom 2408 TCI 2024 Model. The ME V will replace that but in a 22 Fret version (of course with a couple of other differences, the Middle Pickup and a 5-Way, and Pattern Neck versus Pattern Thin). The Custom 2408 TCI is up for sale now.

I seem to not mind at all between Pattern and Pattern Thin neck carves, both are totally fine by me and I don't seem to even have a preference of one or the other.

I haven't played a pattern neck yet. My SE CU24 has the wide/thin profile and the 24-08 has the pattern thin, and I prefer the pattern thin for sure, but it might just be that there isn't any lacquer on the 24-08's rosewood neck. Both are comfy to play.

The only necks I don't get along with are the LP style necks. I had a Zack Myers SE but it's got the wide fat neck. I could play it fairly well, but I felt like I was always fighting it a little. I gave it a good 6 months to adjust, but I ended up selling it off.

Sorry to see the 24-08 go, but a person's gotta do what a person's gotta do. :p

Whoops! I didn't make it very long.
Those you know you are not at all surprised!! :cool:

The Custom 2408 TCI is up for sale now.
I saw it up on Reverb today = such a killer guitar! Fighting the urge to send you a note on the side about it, but I'm trying to keep the funds I had planned available for something else.

I saw it up on Reverb today = such a killer guitar! Fighting the urge to send you a note on the side about it, but I'm trying to keep the funds I had planned available for something else.

Ha-ha! It is a great guitar, the 2024 Spec Custom 2408.

As I commented on my ME V NGD thread, the ME V is terrific, but there is something special about the Custom 2408 with the Paul's pickups. I really like the Pattern Thin Neck and the simplicity of two pickups in the Custom 2408, and the 24 fret design. I predict I won't be able to resist getting another one in the near future when one shows up in a dealer, with a Black Back and Neck like I seem to prefer these days... ;)

I seem to not mind at all between Pattern and Pattern Thin neck carves, both are totally fine by me and I don't seem to even have a preference of one or the other.

I retract this statement, LOL! I seem to be preferring the Pattern Thin carve over the Pattern carve. By a lot. And no binding over binding as well!

I never thought in a million years that would be the case for either, let alone both! Pigs must be flying somewhere... ;)

I retract this statement, LOL! I seem to be preferring the Pattern Thin carve over the Pattern carve. By a lot. And no binding over binding as well!

I never thought in a million years that would be the case for either, let alone both! Pigs must be flying somewhere... ;)
Dude, this is so crazy after all of your 594 "snobbery" with respect to scale length. Totally love that this is a whole new journey!

Dude, this is so crazy after all of your 594 "snobbery" with respect to scale length. Totally love that this is a whole new journey!

Thanks! Yes, that is exactly what it is, a whole new different journey this time around, it is making it really fresh and exciting.

It is sort of an "older and wiser" thing going on too, leaving behind the snobbery it seems on things like scale length and binding, and also letting go of the vintage finish snobbery and having fun with the adventurous PRS bold finish colors available.

So weird (and cool) that less than 60 days ago I wasn't playing at all, and hadn't in almost 3 years, and now I am having the time of my life getting back into it! :)

Thanks! Yes, that is exactly what it is, a whole new different journey this time around, it is making it really fresh and exciting.

It is sort of an "older and wiser" thing going on too, leaving behind the snobbery it seems on things like scale length and binding, and also letting go of the vintage finish snobbery and having fun with the adventurous PRS bold finish colors available.

So weird (and cool) that less than 60 days ago I wasn't playing at all, and hadn't in almost 3 years, and now I am having the time of my life getting back into it! :)
I went through something similar many years ago. I stopped playing when I changed careers many years ago and became a father around that same time. I didn't play for probably 12 years.

One funny thing was when I decided to get back into playing I bought an acoustic guitar. My daughter asked why I bought a guitar when I didn't know how to play one. My wife told her she might be surprised when she heard me "try" to play it. She had a CD playing and I grabbed the guitar and started figuring the songs out while they were playing. After a verse or so I was playing along with the song. The bad thing about this is she got the impression playing was easy... That came back to bite us later in life... I tried to get her to play and she didn't enjoy the learning process and didn't stick with it. She ended up playing a wind instrument in the school band so she did get into music, just in a different way than I did.

When I got back into electric guitar I jumped in with both feet and have tried to stay there ever since. I was right back into bands and playing gigs. I can say I have had a lot of fun with playing in my life. For all of those years I wasn't playing, I had one guitar and one amp. I would turn the amp on and plug in once every year or two just for giggles when nobody else was home.

I have been in a lull with playing the last three or four years now. I am keeping my eye open for a playing situation that will bring that excitement back. I am ready for it. I have had several bands reach out to me over the past couple of years but they are all playing really old music that isn't going to get any good gigs in this area. I don't think they have figured out that their song lists are what they like and not what people in the venues they want to play will like. I want a low stress, low drama, playing situation and I don't know if I have the energy to take on coaching another band to get them gigging on a regular basis. This situation seems to be one I end up in more than I care for.

It is good to see your renewed interest. It gives me some hope that I will find the right group to play with at some point. I can feel your excitement through your posts.

I went through something similar many years ago. I stopped playing when I changed careers many years ago and became a father around that same time. I didn't play for probably 12 years.

One funny thing was when I decided to get back into playing I bought an acoustic guitar. My daughter asked why I bought a guitar when I didn't know how to play one. My wife told her she might be surprised when she heard me "try" to play it. She had a CD playing and I grabbed the guitar and started figuring the songs out while they were playing. After a verse or so I was playing along with the song. The bad thing about this is she got the impression playing was easy... That came back to bite us later in life... I tried to get her to play and she didn't enjoy the learning process and didn't stick with it. She ended up playing a wind instrument in the school band so she did get into music, just in a different way than I did.

When I got back into electric guitar I jumped in with both feet and have tried to stay there ever since. I was right back into bands and playing gigs. I can say I have had a lot of fun with playing in my life. For all of those years I wasn't playing, I had one guitar and one amp. I would turn the amp on and plug in once every year or two just for giggles when nobody else was home.

I have been in a lull with playing the last three or four years now. I am keeping my eye open for a playing situation that will bring that excitement back. I am ready for it. I have had several bands reach out to me over the past couple of years but they are all playing really old music that isn't going to get any good gigs in this area. I don't think they have figured out that their song lists are what they like and not what people in the venues they want to play will like. I want a low stress, low drama, playing situation and I don't know if I have the energy to take on coaching another band to get them gigging on a regular basis. This situation seems to be one I end up in more than I care for.

It is good to see your renewed interest. It gives me some hope that I will find the right group to play with at some point. I can feel your excitement through your posts.

Thanks for sharing your story, I can relate and there are a lot of similarities to my journey!

I tried to get our 3 kids into music and guitars over the years. It stuck with one of three of them, my middle daughter got really into singing and choir, playing piano and doing theater with all the Musicals. She went to College for Music Education and just graduated in 2023, and is now a Middleschool Music Teacher.

She started off in her early years at 9 years old singing all the vocals for the songs for my band while I was rehearsing at home, in 2009. At 12 years old, she watched me and my band play at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and I think experience that gave her a push to develop the skills and confidence for the stage work for the musicals and choir events that followed in her teenage years. She has amazed me with her passion and her skills with her music journey over the years!

Back