Yes, another one - Modern Eagle V in Purple Mist

Okay, now it is getting a little silly - but in my defense a couple are going out, and a couple/few are coming in to replace them.

I really loved the 2024 Spec Custom 24 in Carroll Blue! I dig those Paul's Guitar pickups. But I wanted another 22 Fret 25" PRS, I had 3 Custom 24's and just 1 25" 22 Fret Doublecut, the McCarty Sunburst 25" McCarty.

After acquiring the SC 594 in Purple Mist and the Custom 2408 in Faded Whale Blue, I seem to somehow be obsessed with PRS finishes with Black Backs and Necks, which I find really odd, as I used to very much dislike them and had only owned a few over the journey.

So, to sort of "replace" the outgoing Custom 2408 with Paul's Guitar pickups (which for sale now in the usual places, still available), and with 22 Frets and a Black Back and Neck, I present to you here a Modern Eagle V in Purple Mist.

gCpCITr.jpg

VZV1ZNj.jpg

fu4Lpq2.jpg

n5rBV74.jpg

qvnvADS.jpg

This is a really great guitar! The consistency of the Core PRS guitars these days is really quite impressive. Another great example here.

It checks the boxes for me that it is basically a replacement of the Custom 2408 with the Paul's Pickups, but in 22 Frets. HOWEVER - I still really like the Custom 2408 version with the 24 Frets, the Wide Thin Neck carve, and the simplicity of two pickups versus 3. Also I think I am actually greatly preferring the Pattern Thin Neck Carve over the Pattern Neck Carve, also for the first time ever. After playing the Whale Blue Custom 2408, this neck on this one feels pretty beefy (and slow)! I am still going to sell the Carroll Blue one, but I have a feeling I might still get another one down the road. ;)

For a first impression of the middle pickup and how this guitar is different than the Custom 2408 in that regard - the Middle Pickup does indeed provide another level of flexibility with regard to tones. I went from playing some metal riffs on the bridge pickup to switching to a Roland Jazz Chorus model on the Quad Cortex and trying all the positions on the 5 way - holy cow does this guitar have some great Stratty tones!

The other thing in the mix here for me is that while I loved the tones and the looks/vibe of the Singlecut 594 in Purple Mist, I was just not at all bonding with the scale length. Not one bit - weird! So I returned that one today as well, back to all 25 inch scale PRS guitars, and I guess I will keep it that way for the foreseeable future. That actually simplifies things for me a lot, no distractions with the notion of two scale lengths back and forth, which one do I like better, and wanting to experiment further with a DC 594 and/or a 594 Santana. Just 25 inchers! Nice and simple, and less choices. :)

Also as I mentioned on another thread, I have a used (2016) Custom 22 Trem with a Pattern Thin Neck coming in soon. I think that will be a nice complement in the mix as well, 3 DC 22 Fret Guitars (2 with Pattern Necks and 1 with Pattern Thin), 2 Custom 24's and a Tremonti. 6 PRS guitars, all 6 25 inch scale and 4 of them Pattern Thin, and 3 with Black Backs and Necks - go figure! All that is a big change for me, but at the same time it is very refreshing, fun and new for me.
You cannot go wrong with Purple Mist. It's a fact of life

You cannot go wrong with Purple Mist. It's a fact of life

Ha-ha! Yes, Purple Mist is GREAT!

I returned my Purple Mist Singlecut 594, because I wasn't bonding with the 594 scale length, per my previous mention. (I was surprised by that!)

With that, I needed to maintain some Purple Mist in my collection - thus the Purple Mist ME V! :)

When Pete goes on a bender like this, think days, not years. ;)

It's gorgeous, Pete!

Thanks!

Yes, that comment is very much on point, you know me well.

I am really happy with the pickups, and the extra versatility this guitar gives you with the middle pickup and the 5-Way switching.

That said, I am not really focused on this guitar at this moment. I am smitten with the Pattern Thin Neck Carve, and slightly put off by how much beefier this Pattern Neck is. I thought I was going to buy this and sell the 2024 Spec Custom 2408, and have this guitar be everything the 2408 was and more. But really for me it is not. It is more so something different. I should have this something different in the collection for when I want to play those sort of tones in the Stratty direction.

As I mentioned, I now see that I will sell the 2408 with the Paul's pickups and get another one in a finish I want in the mix.

So I characterize it like this - the 25" McCarty and ME V are my Les Paul and Strat sort of equivalents for the Classic Rock / Blues sort of tones and playing. They are both awesome in that regard!

The Pattern Thin guitars (3 Custom 24's, the Tremonti and the Custom 22) are for the more modern stuff, Heavy Rock and Light Metal, which is what I am focused on right now, which is a new thing for me. Of those 3 models, the Custom 24 and Custom 22 are getting the most time, as the Tremonti is over 9 pounds and much thicker, the Customs are just so easy to play. But every once in a while it is fun to play the Tremonti - it is a beast of big tone and thump!

The Pattern Thin guitars will get the most play for now, but I should keep the 2 beefy necked guitars for the classic / vintage stuff for if and when I feel the desire to return or dabble in that sort of thing again.

Not that the various guitars are limited to one genre or set of tones, they are all awesome and very versatile, just one of them would be fine to cover a lot of the bases very well. The above is just the way it works in my brain! It helps me justify the collection, I suppose. ;)

Thanks!

Yes, that comment is very much on point, you know me well.

You are MA Pete.

There can only be one!

When you get what my grandfather would have called 'a bug up your behind', you pursue it to the ends of the earth, but then get another, completely different, bug a little bit later, discard the stuff that made up your earlier bug, and move to the new bug, sharing your entire thought process along the way.

This often happens with amazing rapidity, so in your case, the bug is a Mayfly (they live max a whole two days, but some live only a few minutes).

Fact is, that's one of the things I like about you! You've got the coin and the guts to do it, and I say more power to ya! I hope you don't mind being teased a little about it, though.

:)

You are MA Pete.

There can only be one!

When you get what my grandfather would have called 'a bug up your behind', you pursue it to the ends of the earth, but then get another, completely different, bug a little bit later, discard the stuff that made up your earlier bug, and move to the new bug, sharing your entire thought process along the way.

This often happens with amazing rapidity, so in your case, the bug is a Mayfly (they live max a whole two days, but some live only a few minutes).

Fact is, that's one of the things I like about you! You've got the coin and the guts to do it, and I say more power to ya!

:)

Yes, you have me completely figured out! ;)

I wish I had something worthwhile to trade you for it, Pete. Like...money. It's such a gorgeous guitar.

But I seem to have emptied the gear fund with a keyboard and that DGT a few months back. Oh well!

Back