A 2024 return from MA Pete - Quadruple NGD with a plot twist on the scale length...

Okay, so now for the 3rd guitar, a 2023 Core Tremonti Stoptail. This one was a big surprise for me. Sure, liking the Custom 24 so much was also a huge surprise for me, but in that case I had the luxury of playing it in person compared to other killer Private Stocks, so that was more of a logical conclusion and an easier decision.

When I decided I wanted to focus on the 25" Scale length, I started with the Custom 24, and ordering the 25" McCarty next was a no brainer, I had had those before and knew that I loved them. To go for a Singlecut was a much tougher decision, I was torn between trying a Tremonti again, or an SC 594. With the SC 594, I would be going 24.594" Scale Length and that might not make me happy with regards to my awkwardness / challenge of jumping back and forth between the two Scale Lengths. A 2001 Tremonti (the original Black Stoptail one with the Tremonti 12th Fret marker) was actually my very first PRS, I owned it for 7 years 2001-2008 (back when I thought 1-2 electric guitars was enough!). Then I bought another one briefly during the 245 Ted phase, I think because BrianC, yankeebulldog and I were going to see Alter Bridge in concert, but I sold it quickly because I was so focused on the Teds and so the Tremonti never stood a chance, with no binding, the 25" scale and the Wide Thin neck carve.

But this time around it seemed to make more sense, I didn't seem to mind the Wide Thin Neck Carve of the Custom 24, and I didn't seem to be a binding snob anymore. And I wanted to stick with the 25" scale, at least for now. So I decided to try a Tremonti. I found this Charcoal Stoptail. I generally have liked Stoptails for the simplicity and tuning stability.

[Edit: Pics deleted because I returned the Tremonti, but replaced it with a different Tremonti, a Tremonti Trem.]

It is great! I love the top, and the Charcoal finish. Charcoal has been one of my favorite Core Finishes since 2020, and it suits the Tremonti model well. The tone is killer! The guitar itself has an awesome resonance and feel. It is on the heavy side, 9 pounds 2 ounces, and as a result is a hair body-heavy, but not troublingly so. Perhaps the weight (combined with the luck of the draw of the way the woods come together) contributes to the great tone.

I don't at all seem to mind the Pattern Thin Neck Carve, like with the Custom 24. I do notice that it is a hair shallower than the Pattern Neck of the McCarty, but not troublingly so. Having the identical Nut Width and resulting String Spacing seems to be the key for me now this time around, as I have said. I don't at all mind that it has no binding. I think it is gorgeous with the grain of the back of the neck transitioning to the color and grain of the Rosewood Board (which is a nice dark one on this guitar, which is the way I prefer them).

The pickups are awesome for the hard rock / metal tones! Wow, they are blisteringly hot, but still sound awesome, very clear. The one thing I notice is that the bridge pickup so different from the 58/15 LT's in the other two that I end up having to sometimes change the amp settings when switching between them, which I am not used to as previously I guess I have had collections with mostly all similar PRS low output PAF style pickups in there. But I like having this different sound so much that I am totally fine with that nuance. More reason for having different amps and an amp/cab switcher and/or a good amp modeling solution.

Now that I have this one and love it so much, I am very curious about a Tremonti Trem. I don't really use a Trem much at all, but I do like the lower feel of the Trem on the Custom 24, and also I think the vibrations of the Trem Springs are part of the magic of the Custom 24. (Which I have experienced before on other previous Trem PRS Guitars.) So that may be my next acquisition.

Also I am curious about having a Tremonti with some more vintage style low output PAF pickups in it, for basically a 25" version a Singlecut 594. All in due time! :)

The good news is that I like all three guitars so much that I can't really say that I have a favorite. On 3 different days, I might have 3 different favorites for each day. That is good!

Last edited:
A DGT in the mix, at some point??

Without question - no! Great guitar tones from the DGT. I have owned several, two of which I gigged several times.

That model violates a firm rule for me, no deviation from the Nut Width and resulting String Spacing of the Pattern/Wide Fat and Pattern/Wide Thin Neck Carves. Anything based on the Pattern Regular / Regular Narrow Nut Width and resulting narrower String Spacing is a complete non-starter for me! I seem to be extremely sensitive to that difference.

A Paul's Guitar (which I have owned before, and liked) or a Modern Eagle V (which I have never played) could be something I do in the future. Also the 2024 Core Custom 2408's seem to be coming with the Paul's Guitar TCI Pickups now, which is another interesting option. (But there don't seem to be many of them out there just yet.)

But right now, I will likely focus on a Tremonti Trem as the next potential one...

Thanks! I really dig the McCarty.

Do you guys remember that thread I had on Vintage Rocker, "A Chronicle of my PRS Adventure.."? It was 94 pages and 945 Posts long, and gave a pictorial history of the first 89 PRS Guitars I had owned, from 2008 to early 2017, including all the fun and madness with the gigs, the guitar trades with Howard Leese, etc. I had selfishly deleted that thread because I was embarrassed by the excess of it all, I regret that I did that now.

But I did save a copy of all 94 HTML pages for my own reference. I went through the first 20 or so pages of that recently, and came to the conclusion that this new McCarty is essentially the reference back for me to the many DC PRS Guitars I have loved so much over the years, particularly the Ted DC 245s, and the DC 594s.

A very high percentage of the Teds and the 594's had some sort of vintage Burst finish on them, so is a throwback to all of the great fun I had with those back in the day. (I find that is the way life works, as you get older you look back fondly at the glory days of yesteryear, and seek things to enjoy to connect back to those times.)

This one is about perfect for me in that it is the right amount of beautiful, a great 10-Top, but not a killer Private Stock sort of top by any means. More of a workhorse guitar versus Wall Art in that regard. It reminds me more of the Ted DC 245's than the 594's, with the single volume and tone and the PRS Stoptail.

The tone is quite good! In that vintage sort of way. The Custom 24 and the Tremonti are a little more "powerful" and modern, but this one is more so vintage as I think a PRS with 58/15 LT's is meant to be. Great for the vintage Rock and Blues tones. (Curiously enough, the Custom 24 also has 58/15 LT's in it, but somehow seems a little "bigger" and more powerful. Of course the Tremonti cannot directly be compared, that bridge pickup is a beast, 15-17K I believe.)

I also had two 25" McCarty's in 2020, one in this finish. I got turned onto them again by the Tim Pierce / Howard Leese 1959 LP / SC 594 comparison. Tim also played a 25" McCarty as an afterthought later in the video, and I was blown away by it. I thought it sounded every bit as good as the SC 594, if not better. I bought one, and then another - and that confirmed that notion, the 2020 McCarty's were just as good as the 2020 Core 594's (remember that Model 2020 was when they shifted to the Nitro finishes on the Core guitars). And at that point I found I was also preferring the 25" scale over the 594 scale. But I was still conflicted in that I had a few stellar SC 594's, and didn't think I had a choice for a 25" Singlecut. Because I was still a binding and neck carve snob at that time and didn't acknowledge the existence of the Tremonti model. :)

Here are some more pics of the McCarty:
I would love to have read this thread. It would be amazing if you would reupload at some point in time. I'm really inspired overall, by your story, your journey and your insights. I am also now encouraged an inspired by thread, because I've been down a long road with PRS since 2015, and I think about 50+ guitars have passed my hands since then.

Without question - no! Great guitar tones from the DGT. I have owned several, two of which I gigged several times.

That model violates a firm rule for me, no deviation from the Nut Width and resulting String Spacing of the Pattern/Wide Fat and Pattern/Wide Thin Neck Carves. Anything based on the Pattern Regular / Regular Narrow Nut Width and resulting narrower String Spacing is a complete non-starter for me! I seem to be extremely sensitive to that difference.

A Paul's Guitar (which I have owned before, and liked) or a Modern Eagle V (which I have never played) could be something I do in the future. Also the 2024 Core Custom 2408's seem to be coming with the Paul's Guitar TCI Pickups now, which is another interesting option. (But there don't seem to be many of them out there just yet.)

But right now, I will likely focus on a Tremonti Trem as the next potential one...
I dunno Pete, sounds like maybe you should be looking into a McCarty Trem as your next guitar.

Hi,
Sorry for the loss of your brother. I lost a sister a number of years ago. She was 16 years older than me so it was a different relationship but there is a scar.
I'm glad you are playing agian, it can be very cathartic.

Hi, Brian! Nice to hear from you here! I was planning to reach out to you to catch up! You should check out my Custom 24 sometime, and I would like to compare the Tremonti to your SCT, assuming you still have that beauty.

I dunno Pete, sounds like maybe you should be looking into a McCarty Trem as your next guitar.

Yes, that has occurred to me as well! Hard to believe - but I don't think I have ever owned a McCarty Trem. I had a killer DC 245 Trem PS that I traded to Howard Leese, he gigged that for a while, it suited him well. Also I had a DC 594 Trem PS that was pretty killer. But never a 25" McCarty Trem, I don't think.

I would love to have read this thread. It would be amazing if you would reupload at some point in time. I'm really inspired overall, by your story, your journey and your insights. I am also now encouraged an inspired by thread, because I've been down a long road with PRS since 2015, and I think about 50+ guitars have passed my hands since then.

Maybe I will work to recreate that thread here. It would be in a slightly different perspective than the original, more so a historical account and what did I experience and learn, versus when it was created it was part history and then continued for a while in the heat of the madness.

I have enjoyed your YouTube videos over the years! I just watched your 2003 Tremonti one recently, that was cool. As I mentioned, my very first PRS was a 2001 Tremonti, which I got when they first came out, and kept for 7 years. I was a big Creed fan at the time, and like you discussed I still look back at the Creed music as connected to what was going on in my life at the time. (I like Alter Bridge a LOT better these days, the whole Scott Stapp meltdown sort of turned me off a bit on Creed, and Alter Bridge is my favorite band since 1990, these days.) Before that, like you I also had a Gibson Les Paul, I had a 90's Gibson USA Jimmy Page special edition of some sort. It looked cool, but weighed like 10 pounds and was very body heavy, and upper fret access was very challenging. When I got the Tremonti, it was a huge improvement in ergonomics and playability.

I just watched your brand new SCT video this morning - that was great! If I were to spec a PS right now, I would probably do an SCT, but like your awesome looking SCT PS (love that finish and top), I would probably do two volume / two tone and the switch on the upper bout. But Solid Body versus Semi Hollow, and with the traditional wood formula of Mahogany Back and Neck and a Rosewood Board. With a Pattern Neck.

I did have two SCTs back in the day, and did play one out with the band once, and I recall liking the ergonomics in a band setting. I didn't at all like the stock pickups. I would have tinkered around with the pickups and try to make the SCT's work for me, but right about that time, the SC 58 came out, and I moved on to those. Those SC 58's were a cool evolution to the SC 245s in that they had that 2 piece bridge, so visually they had much more of the vintage Singlecut vibe. But for some reason for me the SC 58's didn't sound as good as my SC 245 Teds, especially the Willcutt Guitars Wood Library run, of which I owned MANY of. That was any epic Wood Library run.

[Edit: I looked back at my archive of the Chronicle thread. After the gig with the #6 pickups, I did find some 5909's to throw in that SCT. I later sold it with the 5909's in it and the 6's in the case. I think at that time I was just more focused on the 245s and the shorter scale length, and I was also a binding snob! ;) It was an SCT Artist - killer top!]

SB56I5u.jpg

Now that I seem to be preferring the 25" scale, I may give the SCT another look, as a alternative or complement to the Tremonti.

I may still at some point try a 594 again of some sort, but I don't want to distract myself with that at this moment. It is funny, when I play the new 25" McCarty, it is like the culmination of all the DC 245's and DC 594's I have owned in the past (that is a BIG number - if you add up the DC 245's and DC 594's - I will have to tally that up), but in the 25" scale. I really love that guitar.

Last edited:
I look for your 245’s all the time online. One of these days …
They are definitely out there, cause Pete had plenty! LOL

But seriously, there is one of his PS on Reverb right now (overseas): https://reverb.com/item/69143123-prs-paul-reed-smith-private-stock-mccarty-singlecut-amazing-specs

I also can't remember if Pete owned this particular Ted, but it appears to be one of the Willcutt WL Teds, so there is a chance: https://reverb.com/item/73062167-prs-wood-library-ted-mccarty-sc-245-2010-glacier-blue-green

Maybe I will work to recreate that thread here. It would be in a slightly different perspective than the original, more so a historical account and what did I experience and learn, versus when it was created it was part history and then continued for a while in the heat of the madness.

I have enjoyed your YouTube videos over the years! I just watched your 2003 Tremonti one recently, that was cool. As I mentioned, my very first PRS was a 2001 Tremonti, which I got when they first came out, and kept for 7 years. I was a big Creed fan at the time, and like you discussed I still look back at the Creed music as connected to what was going on in my life at the time. (I like Alter Bridge a LOT better these days, the whole Scott Stapp meltdown sort of turned me off a bit on Creed, and Alter Bridge is my favorite band since 1990, these days.) Before that, like you I also had a Gibson Les Paul, I had a 90's Gibson USA Jimmy Page special edition of some sort. It looked cool, but weighed like 10 pounds and was very body heavy, and upper fret access was very challenging. When I got the Tremonti, it was a huge improvement in ergonomics and playability.

I just watched your brand new SCT video this morning - that was great! If I were to spec a PS right now, I would probably do an SCT, but like your awesome looking SCT PS (love that finish and top), I would probably do two volume / two tone and the switch on the upper bout. But Solid Body versus Semi Hollow, and with the traditional wood formula of Mahogany Back and Neck and a Rosewood Board. With a Pattern Neck.

I did have two SCTs back in the day, and did play one out with the band once, and I recall liking the ergonomics in a band setting. I didn't at all like the stock pickups. I would have tinkered around with the pickups and try to make the SCT's work for me, but right about that time, the SC 58 came out, and I moved on to those. Those SC 58's were a cool evolution to the SC 245s in that they had that 2 piece bridge, so visually they had much more of the vintage Singlecut vibe. But for some reason for me the SC 58's didn't sound as good as my SC 245 Teds, especially the Willcutt Guitars Wood Library run, of which I owned MANY of. That was any epic Wood Library run.

[Edit: I looked back at my archive of the Chronicle thread. After the gig with the #6 pickups, I did find some 5909's to throw in that SCT. I later sold it with the 5909's in it and the 6's in the case. I think at that time I was just more focused on the 245s and the shorter scale length, and I was also a binding snob! ;) It was an SCT Artist - killer top!]

SB56I5u.jpg

Now that I seem to be preferring the 25" scale, I may give the SCT another look, as a alternative or complement to the Tremonti.

I may still at some point try a 594 again of some sort, but I don't want to distract myself with that at this moment. It is funny, when I play the new 25" McCarty, it is like the culmination of all the DC 245's and DC 594's I have owned in the past (that is a BIG number - if you add up the DC 245's and DC 594's - I will have to tally that up), but in the 25" scale. I really love that guitar.
Thanks for the kind words about the videos.
I am in a very similar place about Alter Bridge. Blackbird especially has to be one of the best song of the last twenty years. I had gravitated to very heavy music in previous years but over the last year or so, am coming back to the Hard rock end of the spectrum and listening to a lot more of them. Creed, I associate with my high school and early college days (along with Linkin Park).
I have started coming to many realisations as well after playing so many guiatars and which is why I have just consolidating around the singlecut trem of late. I do also want to spec a PS, but with the 24.5 scale and 24 frets. Woodswise, I prefer how mahogany sounds but something about the look of a stained maple neck gets me everytime

They are definitely out there, cause Pete had plenty! LOL

But seriously, there is one of his PS on Reverb right now (overseas): https://reverb.com/item/69143123-prs-paul-reed-smith-private-stock-mccarty-singlecut-amazing-specs

I also can't remember if Pete owned this particular Ted, but it appears to be one of the Willcutt WL Teds, so there is a chance: https://reverb.com/item/73062167-prs-wood-library-ted-mccarty-sc-245-2010-glacier-blue-green

Yes, I saw that Citrus Glow Singlecut 245, it has been listed for a while. That was my absolute favorite SC 245 PS from my 245 days. It turned out so great. I was sort if crushed to sell it in 2016 when the 594's came out, but I was smitten for the "newer" slightly longer 594 scale, and had two Private Stock 594's in the oven that needed funding. That guitar was pretty special to me, I have considered buying it back, but I don't think I will. It was dead mint when I sold it, I think it would bum me out to get it back and see someone else's wear and tear on it. ;)

That was my favorite SC 245 PS, I had a few great DC 245's, the Jade Glow, which was too heavy to play out, and the Aquamarine and Citrus Glow DC 245's that were my go-to guitars for playing out for a few years.

I did own a Glacier Blue IRW necked Willcutt SC 245 - but that one above was not the one I owned. There were two or three of each finish in that epic run.

I did find an old spreadsheet that specifically tracked the Teds. It looks like I owned 29 Ted 245's in total, 18 DCs and 11 SCs. 5 from the original 2009 Run from PRS, 5 from the first Willcutt's WL run, 7 from the second Willcutt's second WL run, and 1 from Willcutt's third WL run (I had forgotten that there were three!), 4 PS's that were a dealer spec (two of those traded to Howard Leese) and a whopping 7 PS's I spec'ed myself. Wow!

Those stats are just Ted's, I also owned 5 more 245's, 2 pre-Ted SC 245's (2008 Experience and Sunburst 245) and 3 SC 58's. So 34 total 245's. Possibly more, if I am missing any...

Yes, I guess I do need to recreate the Chronicle Thread here to properly document all that history! I will do that when I get a chance. I may have to take a sabbatical from work to do it - it will be like writing a book...

I don't think there has been a time that I looked on Reverb and didn't see a former guitar of mine up for sale - LOL! :)

I am also a bit sensative to nut width. I have been playing guitars with 1 11/16 nut width almost exclusively since I started playing close to 40 years ago, wow it has been a long time... I was really scared of the nut width on the DGT but I really wanted to try one. I ended up buying a Wildwood special run DGT. Much to my surprise, I have not experienced any issues playing it. I think it has to do with the neck shape and frets. I think those two things make the neck feel fatter which seems to help me with the nut width and string spacing.

I actually ended up with a couple of P22 models that also have the narrower nut width due to them having the Pattern Regular neck carve. I have been able to adjust to those as well. I was surprised at these playing well for me too. I have a Gibson Hummingbird that drove me nuts when I used to play it a lot in an acoustic band. I was always landing between the strings.

Thanks for the kind words about the videos.
I am in a very similar place about Alter Bridge. Blackbird especially has to be one of the best song of the last twenty years. I had gravitated to very heavy music in previous years but over the last year or so, am coming back to the Hard rock end of the spectrum and listening to a lot more of them. Creed, I associate with my high school and early college days (along with Linkin Park).
I have started coming to many realisations as well after playing so many guiatars and which is why I have just consolidating around the singlecut trem of late. I do also want to spec a PS, but with the 24.5 scale and 24 frets. Woodswise, I prefer how mahogany sounds but something about the look of a stained maple neck gets me everytime

Ha! I am also of the opinion the Blackbird is the best song written in the past 2-3 decades! That song is epic, as is that whole Album. And a lot of people have never heard it. Alter Bridge is no doubt one of the most underrated bands of the past couple of decades, but understandable as I don't think the younger generations are into this sort of music as much as previous generations.

I also listen to Linkin Park back in the Creed Days, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains before that.

I am not going to fall for the draw of the looks of Maple Necks anymore! Or Black Limba Korina Bodies and/or Necks. Or Ebony Boards. ;) Maybe after I get a core collection of guitars built up in my tried and true format of Mahogany Body and Neck, Maple Top and Rosewood board, maybe then I will get just a little more adventurous...

I watched several more of your videos yesterday and last night - yes, we have a lot of things in common with regards to our guitar journey, and our thinking. I really resonate with your thoughts about guitars having "vibes" that inspire you in certain ways. I am thinking about that a lot now and that is heavily influencing my thinking about what my next priorities are for rebuilding a collection of guitars as I get back into it.

For instance the Tremonti has a vibe more so towards the Tremonti sort of music and tones. Because of that bridge pickup and the fact that it is optimized for that sort of tone, but also subtly because of the Neck Carve and visually the lack of binding, and the fact that the finish colors are more modern and less vintage.

I am glad to see on your one video that you were very impressed with your Ted DC 245! I truly loved those, and I was said to let them go - I was just so focused on the 594 scale, I was playing them. As I said, I seem to be very sensitive to different scale lengths, and jumping back and forth between them. But still I am thinking of trying another 594 of some sort, and seeing how I like that in the mix with the 25" scale guitars.

I may get a chance to get to Singapore for work later this year. If I do, I will try to let you know ahead of time. It would be awesome to come visit with you!

I am also a bit sensative to nut width. I have been playing guitars with 1 11/16 nut width almost exclusively since I started playing close to 40 years ago, wow it has been a long time... I was really scared of the nut width on the DGT but I really wanted to try one. I ended up buying a Wildwood special run DGT. Much to my surprise, I have not experienced any issues playing it. I think it has to do with the neck shape and frets. I think those two things make the neck feel fatter which seems to help me with the nut width and string spacing.

I actually ended up with a couple of P22 models that also have the narrower nut width due to them having the Pattern Regular neck carve. I have been able to adjust to those as well. I was surprised at these playing well for me too. I have a Gibson Hummingbird that drove me nuts when I used to play it a lot in an acoustic band. I was always landing between the strings.

Thanks for posting this, Jason!

I am opening up to the notion of maybe sometime in the not too distant future trying a DGT again. Part of the reason for that is that I am trying to stick to primarily the 25" scale, and this time around I seem to be smitten with the feel of a Trem-equipped guitar, versus a Stoptail. The Trem is so much closer to the body, I feel like I get more precision with my right hand picking, especially when doing so palm muting. (I need all the help I can get with my right hand - I am a lefty but play guitar right handed!)

Plus I am feeling like the Trem guitars have a little more "alive" feel to them, with the vibration of the Trem Springs resonating back into the Body and Neck. I had experienced that before, but I am more so liking feeling and notion that this time around.

So the DGT is sort of a readily available McCarty Trem, with the primary difference being the Neck Carve (along with the smaller nut width and narrower string spacing) and the larger frets. (And of course the pickups, which I like). So maybe I will eventually try one, later this year.

All in due time! :)

On another note related to liking the Trem guitars, I have a Tremonti Trem incoming, I will give that a go and perhaps not keep the Tremonti Stoptail. We shall see.

Also I think I am going to try different pickups in the Tremonti. Those pickups are great, and of course spot on for those Tremonti tones. But I want this guitar for me to be more so a versatile PRS 25" Singlecut.

Thanks for posting this, Jason!

I am opening up to the notion of maybe sometime in the not too distant future trying a DGT again. Part of the reason for that is that I am trying to stick to primarily the 25" scale, and this time around I seem to be smitten with the feel of a Trem-equipped guitar, versus a Stoptail. The Trem is so much closer to the body, I feel like I get more precision with my right hand picking, especially when doing so palm muting. (I need all the help I can get with my right hand - I am a lefty but play guitar right handed!)

Plus I am feeling like the Trem guitars have a little more "alive" feel to them, with the vibration of the Trem Springs resonating back into the Body and Neck. I had experienced that before, but I am more so liking feeling and notion that this time around.

So the DGT is sort of a readily available McCarty Trem, with the primary difference being the Neck Carve (along with the smaller nut width and narrower string spacing) and the larger frets. (And of course the pickups, which I like). So maybe I will eventually try one, later this year.

All in due time! :)

On another note related to liking the Trem guitars, I have a Tremonti Trem incoming, I will give that a go and perhaps not keep the Tremonti Stoptail. We shall see.

Also I think I am going to try different pickups in the Tremonti. Those pickups are great, and of course spot on for those Tremonti tones. But I want this guitar for me to be more so a versatile PRS 25" Singlecut.
I am with you on liking the feel of the trem under the right hand. I have felt that way since I started playing. I spent a lot of years with a strat with HSS configuration when I first started playing seriously, decades ago. I got really used to the feel of that trem under my hand. It took me a while to get used to the feel of a Tune O Matic bridge under my hand. It is a very different feel. My CU22 was my first PRS. it has the wrap around bridge on it. That is a nice middle ground for me. I adjusted to it pretty fast. These days many of my guitars have trems or the wrap around style bridge. I seem to also be able to adjust to the Tune O Matic style better at this point in my playing. I prefer the feel of the PRS two piece bridge over a Gibson though.

I also feel that having the springs in the guitar add something, especially if you are playing loud enough to get them to vibrate...

Back