Is the Pattern Thin thicker than the old US Wide Thin?

CivoLee

I love my '92 Standard, but sometimes I wish its neck was just a tad thicker. Just because of what it is, I want to upgrade to a new(er) Custom 24 someday, but I've been lamenting the loss of the Pattern Regular option, which seemed rarer and rarer over the years it was available. And yet with that said, I've been messing around with brand new SE Standard 24s and Custom 24s at Guitar Center while waiting to do my weekly music lesson; their SE Wide Thin necks feel thicker than the neck on my Standard. But going by the measurements on the Neck Shape chart on the main site, the Pattern Thin is actually closer to that size.

I know the Pattern Thin is supposed to be the "ideal" version of the US Wide Thin, so I guess this means the ideal variation of the Wide Thin is/was the ones that came out on the thicker side?

I Am So Confused Over These Neck Profile Names And Changes. Wide Fat Is My Favorite. The Others I Can Live With And I Honestly Have No Idea How They Compare With Each Other Feel Wise.

Maybe This Helps?

https://www.mooreguitars.com/prs-neck-profiles/

Here Is Some Neck And Pickup Info That May Be Helpful As Well.

Hopefully This Gives You The Info You Were Hoping For. :)

I Am So Confused Over These Neck Profile Names And Changes. Wide Fat Is My Favorite. The Others I Can Live With And I Honestly Have No Idea How They Compare With Each Other Feel Wise.

Maybe This Helps?

https://www.mooreguitars.com/prs-neck-profiles/

Here Is Some Neck And Pickup Info That May Be Helpful As Well.

Hopefully This Gives You The Info You Were Hoping For. :)
Thank you for taking the time to find all of this information, but it doesn't list the size of the US Wide Thin.

I was actually kind of hoping someone with experience on both (or all 3: US Wide Thin, SE Wide Thin, Pattern Thin) would chime in. The only place near(ish) me that carries core PRS is a mom and pop dealer, and I don't feel right tirekicking when I am in no position to buy in a place like that.

SE wide thin is the slimmest and almost a d shape to my hands. Pattern thin is more of a c with soft shoulders. I don’t own a guitar with wide thin but have played them. I’m not entirely sure if they were thicker than pattern thin or just had more pronounced shoulders but they’re more similar than the SE is to the rest.

A proper setup with a low action will help as well

I have a SE Hollowbody II with the wide/fat neck. I struggled while playing it but due to the other qualities of the guitar I forced myself to continue to play it. it did get a little easier as I got better as a player. I collected several other PRS guitars and played a wide variety of my Buddies guitars
I realized the action on the wide/fat was simply too high. the guitar had been plecked so it couldnt be the setup could it? I had another setup done by my Tech and the difference was night and Day. The guitar became much easier to play and I no longer struggle with the wide/fat.
Credit the much better setup with a lower action or the fact I am getting much better with the discovery of a good teacher that gets me
But make sure the guitar setup is not the problem

Back