So which neck is larger (thicker)? The Pattern or the Pattern Regular neck?

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
I’m confused. (What else is new?)…….Which is larger/deeper?
The reason I ask? I have an 012 P-22 with a pattern regular neck, but it’s pretty thin… I thought they would be thicker

Last edited:
Your not alone.. I know the difference but still get it confused in my head sometimes and have to stop and think.

So what is the same size as the wide-fat, or slightly bigger? I still get confused by this stuff too.

In my experience the neck carves still appear to feel different on different guitars.

For example, to me the Pattern neck in my Stripped 58 feels bigger than the Pattern Vintage in my 594. But both feel bigger than the Pattern neck in my Starla. Also, they ALL feel bigger than the wide/fat in my SE Santana SC.

I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s a scale length thing? Dunno. But I’ve learned that the specs of neck profiles don’t really mean much to me any more - it’s about the individual guitar.

Buddy Shagmore indicates, if I understand his post, that the Wide-Fat was larger than the Pattern. I'm still confused, which is not an unusual thing for me.
They're pretty close to each other. I have a several to compare. There is a slight difference but more or less similar. May even be more of a variance from neck to neck due to hand sanding. Larger would be the pattern vintage.

Last edited:
In my experience the neck carves still appear to feel different on different guitars.

For example, to me the Pattern neck in my Stripped 58 feels bigger than the Pattern Vintage in my 594. But both feel bigger than the Pattern neck in my Starla. Also, they ALL feel bigger than the wide/fat in my SE Santana SC.

I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s a scale length thing? Dunno. But I’ve learned that the specs of neck profiles don’t really mean much to me any more - it’s about the individual guitar.

Funny, my se HB2 feels chunkier than my pattern and widefat core necks. So much so I double checked specs.

Goes to show it is a guitar to guitar thing and probably some player to player thing, too.

This will probably answer all of the questions listed here. I have seen these same questions come up on multiple forums lately.

They're hand-sanded during the build process. These damned earthlings never do anything the exact same way twice with their hands!

People say they love hand-made, individually produced stuff, but it isn't true.

They really want predictability and uniformity, and that's why they pay lip service to hand-made, but buy as much molded, stamped, machined and CNC stuff that needs no hand work as they can cram into their homes.

Never mind that most of it winds up in landfills.

PRS uses machines, too, of course, but then there's that inconvenient, hand-sanded, people-crafted finished product that we are forced against our will to contend with, making each guitar just a little bit unique.

What a shame that the best way to buy a musical instrument - in this day and age of never having to leave the house to actually shop - is still to pick it up, play it, listen to it, and feel it, right? ;)

Last edited:
They're hand-sanded during the build process. These damned earthlings never do anything the exact same way twice with their hands!

They really want predictability and uniformity, and that's why they pay lip service to hand-made, but buy as much molded, stamped, machined and CNC stuff that needs no hand work as they can cram into their homes.

PRS uses machines, too, of course, but then there's that inconvenient, hand-sanded, people-crafted finished product that we are forced against our will to contend with, making each guitar just a little bit unique.

What a shame that the best way to buy a musical instrument - in this day and age of never having to leave the house to actually shop - is still to pick it up, play it, listen to it, and feel it, right? ;)
The variation in the necks is what I kind of like about the older instruments. They really do have an individual personality put there by the hands that built it. I get the consistency of the newer guitars and I like those as well. To me something hand made always wins. I would much rather buy hand crafted items than something machine made. I am someone who is a supported of people who hand craft things. It has been part of my family since before I was born. I have made a number of things over the years and sold them. I have some very fond memories of making wood items as well as knives with family members.

My wife makes jewelry. That is a win for me because it is cheaper than buying it and she gets exactly what she wants. :) She has finally started selling some of the stuff she makes to women she knows. She wanted to be very sure that it was going to be of a quality that hold up well. IMHO, she is selling her stuff way too cheap. You have to start somewhere...

The variation in the necks is what I kind of like about the older instruments.

I find there's some variation in the newer necks as well, though not as much as back in the Duplicarver days, where even the machine wasn't perfect.

However, I feel the same way you do about goods that have some individuality and personality. That's what makes musical instruments so personal, too.

Buddy Shagmore indicates, if I understand his post, that the Wide-Fat was larger than the Pattern. I'm still confused, which is not an unusual thing for me.
The Pattern is base on the original width fat the measurements are the same , the edges are slightly more rolled on the Pattern.
There is more consistency size wise in the Pattern but all PRS necks are hand sanded and they do vary some.
The Pattern Vintage is bigger than the Pattern.

Absolutely Les. I've come to realize that because I’m really picky about my guitar neck size(es) that all my PRS’s I’ve had the chance to play in person before purchasing have been perfect for me, xcept one. …..And that was the 2012 P-22 I bought through Reverb with a Pattern regular neck that is just a bit thin . Considering what it is and the very reasonable cost I paid for it, , it’s close enough. The jumbo frets, McCarty thickness body, 53/10 pickups, Goldtop over highly flamed maple, wicked tone, stoptailpiece and that great Baggs/PRS acoustic pickup offset my neck idealism . Again, I mistook the Pattern regular as being larger than the Pattern neck, hence this thread….But they do all vary a bit. My favorite neck is still the Pattern which is on my Stripped SC58.I’d call it a large Pattern, but much more refined than the wide fat necks on cores I’ve owned in the past

Last edited:
Absolutely Les. I've come to realize that because I’m really picky about my guitar neck size(es) that all my PRS’s I’ve had the chance to play in person before purchasing have been perfect for me...
I agree with you. It's so completely the way to go -- that way you know what you're getting yourself into! :)

Back