Anyone know about what percentage of CU24s have/had (Pattern) Regular necks?

CivoLee

I am a staunch advocate of 24 fret PRS guitars, but last night I played an SE DGT and compared it to an SE CU24 and I have to admit the DGT came ahead, largely because of the neck feel.

But I need the extra two frets...the range, the ease of note recognition above the 12th fret, the better-looking (and sounding IMHO) pickup spacing, the owl!

I have played a CE24 with a Pattern Thin neck and it's fine, but I would prefer a thicker neck if I could find one. How likely is it?

just guessing form my shopping experience seems about 1/3rd maybe less but you would likely need to look at and older CE or a Custom 24 ( core ) and look for a Standard or Pattern Regular neck , if you can live with the shorter scale a Santana has a nice chunky neck and 24 frets

I have a 2015 30th Annversary Custom 24 with a Pattern Regular neck, 1 of 1 so 100%. 8^)

Not a ton. My 2004 Brazilian CU24has a regular neck and I love it. My 25th Anni Mira also has a regular neck.

just guessing form my shopping experience seems about 1/3rd maybe less but you would likely need to look at and older CE or a Custom 24 ( core ) and look for a Standard or Pattern Regular neck , if you can live with the shorter scale a Santana has a nice chunky neck and 24 frets
Yeah, I've thought about that, but I don't like the Santana body shape/headstock as much, and it doesn't have coil splitting.

I know the SE Wide Thin neck is thinner than the core Pattern Thin and the SE DGT has the same neck as a core DGT, so it may not have been a good 1:1 comparison. But I did play a newer CE24 with a Pattern Thin neck like the majority of CU24s some weeks ago and it was OK; I still felt the DGT neck was a little better.

I am a staunch advocate of 24 fret PRS guitars, but last night I played an SE DGT and compared it to an SE CU24 and I have to admit the DGT came ahead, largely because of the neck feel.

But I need the extra two frets...the range, the ease of note recognition above the 12th fret, the better-looking (and sounding IMHO) pickup spacing, the owl!

I have played a CE24 with a Pattern Thin neck and it's fine, but I would prefer a thicker neck if I could find one. How likely is it?

Santana

It is an expert’s opinion.

I thought you were a pusher man?!

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I don't like the Santana body shape/headstock as much, and it doesn't have coil splitting.

I know the SE Wide Thin neck is thinner than the core Pattern Thin and the SE DGT has the same neck as a core DGT, so it may not have been a good 1:1 comparison. But I did play a newer CE24 with a Pattern Thin neck like the majority of CU24s some weeks ago and it was OK; I still felt the DGT neck was a little better.
You can coil split anything with a bit of wiring :)
The Santana shape is brought me to PRS , I used to fight with the short scale ( on all guitars ) buy my Santana Retro sounds so nice it was my CU24 that moved on. ( and this one took my breath away when I saw it )

Santana Retro w Boogie by https://www.flickr.com/photos/152274366@N08/

Mine has the regular neck, but more than half that I saw when I was looking to buy it had the thin neck.

What % Have Thin Necks? Too Damn Many!

What % Has Fat Necks? Not Nearly Enough!
Beat me to this one.

I have an old CE24 with a Standard neck, and a 30th anniversary Custom 24 with a Pattern Regular Neck. I have the same preferences as you and searched for a long time for both. I much prefer the Pattern Regular to the Standard carve.

Most of the time I see a CU24 that I want I look at the specs and there's Pattern Thin stopping me in my tracks. PRS needs more Pattern Reg, 24 fret stop-tails, and ebony fretboards. Then they'd get my money.

I think the S2 Custom 24 had Pattern Regular necks up until a year or two ago.

If PRS made it easier to find particular guitars, that would be nice. Much like how an auto maker will point you to a dealership that has a car that has the options you want in stock.

Back