How modifiable are pickups?

boxstop7

Okay, hear me out...

I have a Cu24 with 85/15 TCI pickups, and I just cannot jive with them. I bought a set of uncovered squabbin \m/ pickups that I'm gonna drop in there and get rid of the 85/15 set. However - the 85/15s have the smoked chrome pole pieces, and the \m/ pickups have the standard chrome. As far as I understand it, I can just back out the pole piece screws from the \m/ pickups and replace them with the smoked chrome ones from the 85/15s. Is there also a way to similarly swap out the pole piece slugs without damaging the pickups? :cool:

Just the pole pieces easily. Too much effort for the slugs.

I saw those and thought about them.myself.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I don't know nearly as much about the inner workings of pickups as I do other parts of a guitar. I've got two Custom 24s. One came loaded with \m/ pickups and I absolutely love them, which is why I jumped on this loose set when I saw them pop up for sale. I have really, really tried to like the 85/15 TCI pickups in my newer 24, I just cannot jive with them and really don't like them. But I'd definitely prefer to keep the smoked chrome look consistent on that guitar.

So what I'm gathering from everyone is that I'd be okay to (carefully) swap the pole piece screws, but attempting to do anything similar with the slugs would almost certainly result in damage. I'll ask one more question out of ignorance, as I had actually considered it before it was brought up -

I don't buy guitars with any consideration for resale, so harming resale value isn't a concern for me AT ALL. So to gush's point, "Use a sharpie on the poles"...any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't from a functionality perspective? Or maybe a bluing compound?

I don't buy guitars with any consideration for resale, so harming resale value isn't a concern for me AT ALL. So to gush's point, "Use a sharpie on the poles"...any reason why I couldn't or shouldn't from a functionality perspective? Or maybe a bluing compound?
No. You won't hurt anything using the Sharpie. But it'll rub off in time.

Might try the bluing or gun barrel black solution first if you already have some.

I've used both to color steel. The gun barrel stuff lasts longer.

No. You won't hurt anything using the Sharpie. But it'll rub off in time.

Might try the bluing or gun barrel black solution first if you already have some.

I've used both to color steel. The gun barrel stuff lasts longer.

Thanks! Any concerns that either would eat away at the plastic bobbins?

I doubt it. Doesn't Gun Blue come in a plastic bottle?
Apparently it does; I don't know much about this stuff.

Can anyone think of any issues that might crop up by removing all six pole piece screws at the same time to put them through the bluing process? I don't want to risk any of the solutions getting down into the pickup itself. Thanks!

Apparently it does; I don't know much about this stuff.

Can anyone think of any issues that might crop up by removing all six pole piece screws at the same time to put them through the bluing process? I don't want to risk any of the solutions getting down into the pickup itself. Thanks!
Yes. If they're plated the blue probably won't take.

Maybe replace yours with these?

Are yours metric or SAE?

They're whatever PRS uses standard in the \m/ pickups, which appear to be SAE 5-40 flathead screws.

Also, I LOVE Philadelphia Luthier!
I'd go that route then. Buy some black screws that are the correct size and replace them one at a time.

Remove one...replace it. Remove one...replace it.

Those screws do help hold the pickup tight and together but if you change them one at a time you should be fine.

You can always burn nickel ones ;)

BqR7b1a.jpg

Dude, that looks SICK!!! I do have a butane torch that's hella fun to use...but I don't think it's the look I'm going for with this guitar. Might do it on a different one though!

It’s relatively easy. Get a pair of needle nose pliers you don’t care about much. And then practice on a few until you get the right amount of blueing that you want.

Lather.Rinse.Repeat :D

Back