Next arrow for the quiver?

What would be the best complement to my current roster?

• DGT

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Hollowbody II Piezo

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Special Semi-hollow

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Something else

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

guitar_man_man_man

The old GAS itch has surfaced once again and I find myself compulsively browsing reverb for another PRS that rounds out my current collection. Looking for thoughts and votes on what should come next!

Current collection for reference:
- Custom 22 stoptail w/ 57/08 neck & 59/09 bridge
- Custom 24 35th anniversary (24/08 basically) w/ TCI 85/15 pickups
- Custom 24 Floyd w/ \m/ pickups
- McCarty 594 DC w/ TCI 58/15LT pickups
- Rosewood Silver Sky

first question is "what problem are you trying to solve?". it seems like you might be aiming for a more distinct sound rather than another "power"guitar.

the dgt is a fantastic all-around tool but in your case would only save you from switching guitars.

imho, the ssh is a weaker, less warm version of the 594, so also probably not the move you need to make since you have a 594. dont get me wrong, i have and really dig both.

i havent had an hbii in a while, but when i did the pickups didnt work for me so i swapped them for miras.

my suggestion is to try an se hollowbody standard, which is my surprise find for 2023. the larger body is really cool, and the pickups very versatile. sonically i think you'll find it quite complimentary.

happy huntin!

I voted for the HBII Piezo. I played my pretty much exclusively in the last band I was in. It was super nice to have acoustic tones on tap along with all of my other tones. I ran the piezo through a Fishman Aura then to the FOH and fed it back to me in my monitor. I would also run it with a Fly Rig Acoustic. I liked the boost and effects of the Fly Rig but the acoustic tone sounded better on the Aura. What I was going to do was put a boost and chorus pedal in the loop of the Aura but then I ended up having to drop from the band due to my work schedule. There are a lot of great tones in the magnetic pickups of the guitar too. Mine has 57/08s in it.

@DISTORT6 covered the Hollowbody Spruce (a true PRS high point in design and materials combinations), so I‘ll point to the other gap… something with Narrowfields. It’s a sound not found in other PRS designs, and might add a flavor you don’t already have in the guitarsenal yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughts so far! I think I'm leaning towards the HB II Piezo just for the tonal variety, but like the suggestions for a soapy or potentially something with the narrowfields (NF-53 perhaps?).

That said, I have zero information about the santana but have heard good things. Anyone who can weigh in on how a Santana III might stack up against what I've got currently? The shorter scale length is definitely intriguing.

How much money you got, and how limited-edition and/or rare do you want to go? If you're willing to look "used/pre-owned," there's a LOT of really great PRSs yet to be had.

Just curious. I should have never sold it.....
Uh oh, why not? I haven't gotten to play mine much because it lives at my in-laws' place, but it's probably with the Cu24 35th as the ones I'd consider offloading for something new just because they're more jack-of-all-trades.

How much money you got, and how limited-edition and/or rare do you want to go? If you're willing to look "used/pre-owned," there's a LOT of really great PRSs yet to be had.
Looking for something from the core line-up in the $2-3.5k range so definitely looking at used/pre-owned.

I Voted For The HBII Piezo Out Of What Is Listed. A Void I See That Could Be Filled In A Unique And Fun Sort Of Way Would Lead Me To Suggesting A Nik Huber Krautster...Singlecut With A Humbucker Bridge And p90 Neck Pickup. Fun Guitar And Very PRS Like In Many Ways With Exceptional Build Quality.

Uh oh, why not? I haven't gotten to play mine much because it lives at my in-laws' place, but it's probably with the Cu24 35th as the ones I'd consider offloading for something new just because they're more jack-of-all-trades.

Looking for something from the core line-up in the $2-3.5k range so definitely looking at used/pre-owned.
It was a great guitar. It had a wide/thin neck, that felt different than other w/t necks I've had. It played like butter, and sounded great. I actually sold it twice, once in 2019 to Chicago Music Exchange, for $900. I called them back 4 days later and asked if they would sell it back to me for what they paid me for it. They did. Then, in 2021, during the height of stupid prices for used guitars, they gave me $1,900 for it. I was downsizing, and trying to be minimalist. In other words, I was an idiot.

Well, thanks all for your inputs - ultimately I decided to go for a HBII Piezo for the tonal variety it offers and because I found a stunning specimen for a very tempting price. And now we wait!

gkif1vkplgjwt5jpaujm.jpg

Well, thanks all for your inputs - ultimately I decided to go for a HBII Piezo for the tonal variety it offers and because I found a stunning specimen for a very tempting price. And now we wait!

gkif1vkplgjwt5jpaujm.jpg
Congrats! That is beautiful and one of my favorite finishes.

What year is it? It looks like an artist pack. I see it has the older knobs on it too.

Back