PRS QC taking the day off?

Bryan0418

Just received a brand new DGT (core) today from a PRS dealer. Noticed that the tone knob falls off when you try to split the coils. I can fix that. Also there is a big glob of clearcoat on the headstock near the edge. Looks like someone tried to touch it up but never smoothed it out.

Also when did PRS switch to the cheaper looking strap buttons on their USA Core line?

Don't mean to be a complainer but a $4,000 guitar should be perfect knowing how extensive PRS QC's their work. Guitar was built on the 23'rd of December so it isn't like it sat and had a bunch of people playing it. Not what I would expect from PRS after owning a bunch of them over the years.

It is always appropriate to thouroughly inspect a guitar before purchase , I agree ..with the let Warranty address it .

Just received a brand new DGT (core) today from a PRS dealer. Noticed that the tone knob falls off when you try to split the coils. I can fix that. Also there is a big glob of clearcoat on the headstock near the edge. Looks like someone tried to touch it up but never smoothed it out.

Also when did PRS switch to the cheaper looking strap buttons on their USA Core line?

Don't mean to be a complainer but a $4,000 guitar should be perfect knowing how extensive PRS QC's their work. Guitar was built on the 23'rd of December so it isn't like it sat and had a bunch of people playing it. Not what I would expect from PRS after owning a bunch of them over the years.
That's a shame to hear! I would certainly contact the dealer to find out what is going to be done about the clearcoat and knobs. As for the strap buttons, is what is and @Black Plaid 's suggestion is the best idea IMO. Aside from that, I hope you get things worked out and it is a good fit for ya'!

I would definitely talk to your dealer. The knob issue could be that they need to replace the knob, or the pot, or both. You want that finish blended in so they are going to need to do that. You may have to ship the guitar to PRS to get that taken care of.

The strap buttons changed a couple of years ago. I bought a new Studio late last year and it was the first PRS I have bought with the new buttons on it. I like the new buttons better. They are easier to get a leather strap on. The have a little more space for the strap and are still about the same diameter for keeping the strap on. I change all of mine over to strap locks so the buttons come off right away and go in the plastic bag in the case to be put back on if I ever sell the guitar.

I would be as upset with the dealer as the manufacturer, maybe more. Didn't they inspect the guitar before they sold it?

OT...but are straplocks not a great replacement?
Sorry about the other items, especially the finish flaw.

No manufacturer is perfect. PRS historically has been better than most. Contact the retailer or send it back. A man ought to be happy with his purchase.

Probably made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon!
December 23rd.. we're human and like most of us, Christmas was on our minds.
Family > Work

The tone knob is the simplest of fixes, Spread the pot split post a hair with a screw driver.

PRS changed the strap buttons because people complained about the old style. I personally prefer the old PRS buttons to anything, including strap locks, but PRS listenined to customers.

The clear coat on the headstock. When you have 3 posts pics would be helpful. It sounds like they halfed a step in an atttmept to correct, maybe while doing the QC? Sure, disappointing, but it was Christmas, and PRS will absolutely make that right in a heartbeat.

If that was the issues I found on a guitar there's a lot of right going on.. Contact your dealer about the clearcoat and all will be right.

The strap buttons were changed about a year or two ago to make it easier to put straps on and take them off. The old button was something people complained about for many years. However, they retained the wider flange, so most players don't need to use strap locks, though people do install them if they feel insecure with the stock buttons.

One thing they also changed a few years ago was that they install the strap button on the lower bout screwing it into a dowel. This change was made because hanging the guitars during finishing was damaging too many of the bodies, and makes it easier to do subsequent repairs as well, per my dealer, Jack Gretz who asked PRS about it.

The strap buttons were changed about a year or two ago to make it easier to put straps on and take them off. The old button was something people complained about for many years. However, they retained the wider flange, so most players don't need to use strap locks, though people do install them if they feel insecure with the stock buttons.

One thing they also changed a few years ago was that they install the strap button on the lower bout screwing it into a dowel. This change was made because hanging the guitars during finishing was damaging too many of the bodies, and makes it easier to do subsequent repairs as well, per my dealer, Jack Gretz who asked PRS about it.
I am still unhappy about that dowel in the body thing. My newest guitar has it. Thankfully I only had to look at it when I removed the stock button and put a strap lock button on it. As long as it remains under the strap button I am pretending it isn't there. They don't do the best job making the finish look nice around that dowel when they put it in. That is a peeve of mine...

Sorry for your issues , but they seem easy enough to address under warranty.
I also don't care for the new strap buttons but a Grolsh beer bottle washer solves that for me, the new tuners are a step down from the open gear phase 3s , the Nitro finish and Bone nuts are mostly not for me also. BUT PRS is not asking me and it hasn't stopped me from buying guitars.

As long as it remains under the strap button I am pretending it isn't there.
As a kid I once scratched something I'd saved up for, in a spot that was invisible unless I looked for it. I was still kind of upset. I told my father it bugged me when I looked at it.

My father said, "Then don't look at it." ;)

I actually had a very good result because of the dowel when a strap button screw worked its way loose after I had the guitar a short time. The factory simply removes the dowel, replaces it, and you get a properly seated screw without having to resort to stuffing the hole with glue and toothpicks or wood scraps. And because it came stock with the dowel, it's not a modification. And no refinish is needed. It's actually a feature, not a bug. But I understand what you're saying.

The QC got worse recently maybe due to the 20% se promotion. Tried 5 SAS last month, 4 had problems.
This is my experience with the SE CE BO. Sending the third one back and will try #4. First was neck alignment, second trem screws misaligned (posted here on the forum for that) third was both issues, neck alignment, two trem screws crooked and low cut nut.

Frets were perfect and finish was nice. Couldn't intonate at all.

That said, SE SAS bought on a blem (can't find anything wrong) and SE 594 are stunning on the first shot!

Back