Exercise routine

There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead!

That's funny, I do that all the time. I'll eat dinner and realize I have some calories left and I'll pop that 9% sugar bomb IPA.

And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

A buddy of mine who is a bit of a fitness nut says that drinking that beer immediately following heavy efforts is the best time to have it. Your body will take those carbs and load you up for next time instead of just wasting them.

A buddy of mine who is a bit of a fitness nut says that drinking that beer immediately following heavy efforts is the best time to have it. Your body will take those carbs and load you up for next time instead of just wasting them.

Ah yes, the "Golden Hour".

Happy to hear that, Chef. I just need to start anything, but somehow, can't find the will to do it.

It’s a very personal decision. But once you make up your mind and you spend a few weeks finding your rhythm, you’ll be really happy you made the change

Yes, you have to take the first step. Once you get into a routine, you will look forward to it, and miss it when you can't work out. Mine is run outside (weather permitting) approximately 3 miles 4/5 times a week or 30 minutes on the treadmill I have at home. 20 minutes of bodyweight exercises every day in the morning to get my metabolism going. As I get older, the running takes its toll more but I enjoy it. I need that cartio metabolic workout now for stress relief and for me the movement is like a meditation period. I allow my mind to wander wherever it wants, and next thing I know, I'm finished!

I believe in preventative exercise.

Anything I can do to prevent exercise, works for me!

Jamie

I believe in preventative exercise.

Anything I can do to prevent exercise, works for me!

Jamie

Haha! My brother used to say that every time he felt the need to exercise, he'd sit down and have a cigarette until the urge passed.

That was a long time ago, though; he's since quit smoking and started getting more fit.

You have to take exercise daily and play some games for fitness like hockey , Football and more any other games like this then you maintain your fitness and health.

That's a great rate of weight loss.

Last week I started using the My Fitness Pal app/site to support my wife, who wants to lose 30 lbs. I've done calorie tracking before, and it really can open your eyes. My Fitness Pal also tracks your balance of carbs, fat and protein so you can adjust your diet accordingly. Really useful to me for watching my health, since my goal is to maintain my current weight. Having/giving support increases the chance of success.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead! And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

I've been trying to cut back on carbs in general with special emphasis on trying to eliminate corn (in all it's forms) from my diet. I still enjoy an adult beverage or two on the weekends but I've switched to vodka with club soda and a wedge of lime. It tastes good enough and doesn't provide unnecessary calories. For the month of September I clocked over 80 miles on foot. Not an astonishing number, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. I'd like to best that number for the month of October but it's looking to be a busy month so I don't know if it will happen.

Luckily for me I have a nice "rails to trails" path just a block behind my house. It provides a nice area to exercise without a lot of traffic to deal with.

photo-8-1.jpg

Throwing some iron and steel around. Never was much into doing this in high school... I'm 34 now.. So with two small kids.. I wanna make sure I can be their superman now. Usually run 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. Will lifting prior to running. My biggest down fall is the food I eat and the quality of it.

Throwing some iron and steel around. Never was much into doing this in high school... I'm 34 now.. So with two small kids.. I wanna make sure I can be their superman now. Usually run 45 mins 4 to 5 times a week. Will lifting prior to running. My biggest down fall is the food I eat and the quality of it.

I hear ya man! The main reason I exercise is the same reason I no longer ride a motorcycle, I have a young son to think about.

I'm 57, very soon to be 58. I have a pudge and love handles :( I recently changed from regular coke to Mexican coke. The difference is real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Don't let the corn lobby fool you - HFCS is EVIL. It is metabolized primarily in the liver and primarily into fat. It also has no satiety effect on thirst, in fact, some research says it actually works you in the opposite direction.

Since switching, I am down 10 lbs on a good day and I drink much less coke because it satisfies my thirst faster.

I like the way you are thinking, I have also noticed significant weight loss by switching from cake doughnuts to yeast.

Luckily for me I have a nice "rails to trails" path just a block behind my house. It provides a nice area to exercise without a lot of traffic to deal with.

I think I ride at the opposite end of that trail - but it's a lot more than a block from me. If I was that close, I'd ride a lot more often.

Shawn: Great video. I have had a heart attact and have 5 stents along with back and related problems etc. After the heart attack, I lost 60 pounds over 10 months by walking and maintaining a reasonable diet. I started out on the level for about 10 minutes until my back could handle it. I gradually increased until I was doing about 20 miles a week. What's great about where I live is there are a lot of hills so I could use various loops. During the winter up here I have to go to the gym and use a treadmill. I typically use a cardio program for 30 minutes at 3mph that varies between 4 and 10 degrees. At my age (66), that works just fine.

Walking on the level for any distance is excersize, but adding hills will make it MUCH better. Losing weight is math. Limit your caloric intake to a certain number and you can figure out what you will lose over time. You can lose a pound or two a week with very little work ...

Shawn: Here's the real answer ...

Medical Advice for a Long Life~~~
I do not know if this truly provides for longevity,
But it sure would make the days go by a lot better!
Love this Doctor!

Q: Doctor, I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life. Is this true?
A: Heart only good for so many beats, and that it... Don't waste time on exercise. Everything wear out eventually. Speeding up heart not make you live longer; it like saying you extend life of car by driving faster. Want to live longer? Take nap.

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?
A: Oh no. Wine made from fruit. Brandy distilled wine, that mean they take water out of fruity bit so you get even more of goodness that way. Beer also made of grain. Bottom up! Take Nap.

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?
A: Well, if you have body and you have fat, your ratio one to one. If you have two body, your ratio two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?
A: Can't think of single one, sorry.
My philosophy: No pain...good! Take nap.

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?
A: YOU NOT LISTENING! Food fried in vegetable oil.
How can getting more vegetable be bad?

Q : Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?
A: Oh no! When you exercise muscle, it get bigger. You should only be doing sit-up if you want bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?
A: You crazy?!? HEL-LO-O!! Cocoa bean!
Another vegetable! It best feel-good food around!

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?
A: If swimming good for figure, explain whale to me.

Q: Is getting in shape important for my lifestyle?
A: Hey! 'Round' is shape!

Well... I hope this cleared up the misconceptions you may had about food, diets and exercise.

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and SCREAMING "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

AND.....

For those of you who watch what you eat and drink,
here's the final word on nutrition and health.
It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting nutritional studies we see daily.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

4. The Italians drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans...

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:
Eat and drink what you really, really like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Shawn: Here's the real answer ...

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and SCREAMING "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

I hear what you're saying Bill, I'm just trying to slide into the grave when I'm about 90 and not when I'm 50! :)

Back