Exercise routine

I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s.
24047_387204100162_600800162_4372272_7720034_n.jpg

Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..

Gentlemen... IMO it is 90% Diet and 10% Exercise. I work out 6 days a week with at least 30 mins of cardio and another 30 min of strength training. the missing link to my waistline is my diet.. my portions are way too big.. The key is ( and I keep telling myself) is 5-6 small meals a day..

you do have a point. instead of counting calories which is difficult a portion is the size of ones palm. So a portion of meat--- carbs-- vegies etc should fit in the palm. so depending on size it can vary. eating out is one of the things that is not good as portion sizes are always way too much. when I say portion I am saying PER food unit not total meal!

I've thought of it lately as 80% diet, 15% exercise and 5% mental. Your mental state plays a big role in weight loss, if you're stressed, the body releases cortisol which amongst other things, can mess with your fat loss. Funnily enough over-training can have the same effect!

I highly recommend looking into the primal/paleo diet, it totally goes against what we think is right in regards to diet. There is a lot of facets to it, but one is not eating 5-6 small meals per day. The conventional thinking is this keeps your metabolism up, but all you're doing is putting quick burning foods into the body (e.g. carbs) several times a day, and never using your body fat for what it was supposed to, and that's supplying you energy between meals. Think of it as filling up your car everytime the tank gets to 3/4 full.

If you get used to having higher fat/lower carbs in your diet, you will be fuller for much longer (as fat takes longer to metabolise, however is more energy and nutrient dense than grain or sugar based foods), and you get "fat adapted" or better at ketosis, you'll be able to burn fat off a lot easier.

A couple of good reads are "Good Calories, Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes and "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson

I like You Shawn was looking for a way to excersise at my own time. going to a gym was not working especially when I had two young boys I could not leave un attended and my wife worked a later shift. I own a bowflex and work out daily. I just take Sundays off. I work out two muscle groups a day. I also enjoy bike riding in the summer but have a stationary trainer to put my bike in. Running is just to hard on my joints. I eat 6 smaller meals a day. when I can eat a full meal or such I take in Whey protien.I don`t drink sodas at all. Pretty much water Bowflex also has what they call select tech dumb bells where you dial up the weight and then lift out of holder and only the wieghts you want are on the bar. Strength training is important. After age 30 we start losing muscle mass- especially if not using them. Mucsle is what burns calories. The more musce mass the more one can eat. That is why older people do NOT need very much calorie intake as they don`thave the muscle mass to burn it. Cicuit training is the best. keeps heart rate up. I am 50 going to be 51 this summer. I am 6`1" tall and wiegh in the 180 to 185lb range( can change 2 ro 3 lbs over night lol) I have a 32" waist also. the pic was from about two years ago. I changed up my routine and am even more toned yet. I feel great and stronger than when I was in my 20s.
24047_387204100162_600800162_4372272_7720034_n.jpg

Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.

Manual labour,no alcohol,bicycle or walk to work or wherever you usually take car.Eat because you need to not because you want to.Eat fruits in between meals.

Last edited:
Damn James Bond, seriously looking good!

My exercise routine has fallen off during the winter months, but my food choices have become more stringent. I don't eat many carbs, once in a while I'll have a tortilla, beans or some rice as part of a meal (but i do still eat cherios for breakfast). I cut back on alcohol consumption and do not drink on week days. I do not eat fast food or drink soda. Now if I'm at the point of "I could eat", I choose not to. I've lost 16 lbs since I started this thread. I've had a few set backs, but I keep plugging away and I feel progress has been made.

good for you. I know it does start out getting mentally focused on it. I have gotten to the point where the work out is kind of addictive lol. endorphine rush etc. on Sundays I do eat junk food. I kind of went off the Bill Phillips body for life thing. Eat good through the week and take one day to eat junk. keeps my craving for carbs down and know there is always a treat lol. I am one person that loves sweets. I love baked goods and my wife is good at it but I tell her not to do it much as I will dang near eat the whole pan !!!!

I have heard( my mom`s husband does this too) where if you are at a desk alot get an excersise ball to sit on. ( don`t get the cheap ones they fail too easy-- I have a Golds Gym one that has lasted for a few years-- it does have sand in it to keep from rolling cross the room! ) sitting on these instead of a chair forces you to use core muscles for balance and posture. even this can burn calories!

I do drink coffee at times on weekends. BLACK.

In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.

In a park a few blocks from my house they recently built a small circuit with pull up bars, balance beams, etc. As soon as it warms up I'll be using it regularly. I have an exercise ball, I should bring it to work and use it in the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention about my diet, I've been drinking a minimum of 74 ounces of water per day. I don't know how I came up with that number, but it's doable so I'm sticking with it.

sounds like a plan! :)

Hey Garrett, I'm interested what adjustments you made to your diet?

Also I just saw this, this guy is phenomenal! Some fitness goals in there for me (do one rep of any of these!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

We've been eating well at home for several years, so the main thing I did was cut out fast food at lunch. I had done this before a few years ago. There are a couple of food courts near work, so I'd slipped into the routine of eating Chik Fil A about once a week along with questionable chicken dishes at the Asian places. Even when I ate "healthy" at the more homestyle place, everything was loaded with salt. My idea of a fast food lunch now is Subway or the Mexican places, but I calculate the nutrition.

One thing I hadn't done before was to make sure I get more protein and fiber with breakfast. I general already ate the "good" cereals, but now I'm more likely to have granola with Greek yogurt or "great" cereals.

I also changed the way I snack. I used to go for granola bars, but switched to nuts like almonds or cashews. About the same calorie load, but less sugar/carbs and more lasting nutrition. When I do want a bar, I go for Clif Bars, which have whole grains, are minimally processed and have plenty of protein. These have become a fixture on my cycling days.

I still treat myself occasionally with greasy foods, but it's a rare occasion. I still have dessert every night, in reasonable portions, and a beer or a couple of glasses of wine several days a week. So it's not like I feel deprived.

You guys should check out the documentary "Hungry for change".

My parents have been on a similar health path since they were in their forties (circa 1980). Now they're in their mid 70s and I would'nt know how to describe how healthy and active they are at that age. I think my father can still kick the crap out of me and my bros at country skiing, and not on flat grounds. And him and mom drive 2 times a year from montreal to florida in two days straight. He is 76 yr old and doesn't take one pill...
This is not about diets or magic exercises... Its about a lifestyle and enclose every aspect of ones life.

Anyways, check out "Hungry for change". It is worth it. Your health is worth it...

So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?

Get a gym membership...I do 16 different machines...100 reps,in sets of 25...on the abdominal crunch machine i do 200 reps. I do this three times a week. Keep the weight heavy enough to give yourself some burn at the end of each set of 25. To be effective,exercise must be part of your lifestyle!!! After 30 years...at 62...I still fit in my jeans!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cycling is my thing. Unfortunately, despite logging more than 9,000 miles in 2012, my weight was at an all time high. I also do and have done resistance training for the last 40 years. I want to give yoga a try someday soon.

I tried the P90X workouts and they worked amazingly well... but I don't have the time to spend each day, 1 to 1 1/2 hours, so I tried the 10 Minute Trainer from the same people and it works great too. There are 5 10 minute workouts that will kick your butt if you combine a few each day. I have been slacking since the holidays and I'm ready to start back up and get back to feeling good again. But with any type of program, eating right is the main thing along with the exercise. Good luck on finding what works for you!

Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.

That is 100%, for a given distance. However if you're comparing calories expended based on time, running burns a LOT more calories.

Back