Exercise routine

I'm with Nik on the first page. I've been doing Paleo for 3 months now and have lost 50 lbs. I'm 32, 6'6" and used to weight 275 lbs. I'm now 225 lbs pretty consistently and I haven't really worked out. I know it's very important but I have a crazy sporadic schedule that makes consistently a challenge I have not been able to face just yet. I'm just glad I've lost weight, my asthma symptoms are gone and my joints feel like they did when I was 18.
I'm very passionate about diet but hopefully you find something that works and more importantly, you can stick with.

To the original poster, been there, haven't we all, just an age thing. I'm neither vain nor obsessive, just a normal, lazy guy in his 40's, but wanting to stay healthy and get stronger slowly, and of course be able to eat (and of course drink) more.This works, just add time: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-3rd-Mark-Rippetoe/dp/0982522738

Don't let the title put you off. He is the most plain speaking (writer) ever. Very insightful, honest, and entertaining.

Diets are great to come down towards your normal weight range but a temporary thing. From then, by overall having a balance and by doing regular weights, you'll stay strong & healthy.
Not a fan of the lean 'dehydrated' look myself, being both too lazy and genetically challenged to ever achieve that.
Remember abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick, its a given :D

what is the target heart rate for a cardio workout?

I prefer walking to running because it jars my joints less and I tend to pull fewer muscles. When I walk, I walk as fast as I possibley can and I'm hitting 14 minute miles for at least three miles. Granted it isn't a triathalon, but I feel like I am getting some cardio benefit from the activity and I certainly break a heavy sweat while walking.

Blackbird- what form/discipline of martial arts do you practice?

I know the feeling. I'm 67 years old and I walk about 2.5 miles per day in the summer and 4.5 miles in the winter. The summer heat down here in the tropics just takes too much out of me in the summer to do the 4.5 miles. I do it for two reasons. First is the weight issue. I try to eat less (sometimes unsuccessfully) and do the walking to hopefully lose some weight or at least maintain where I am. Second, I'm a heart patient. I had a heart attack back in 2003, so I try to work out each day to keep the cardiovascular system functioning properly. I also do Tae Bo exercises too to keep my joints from stiffening up. Getting old is not for the wiery, but it sure beats the alternative. My fingers get a workout each day on the fretboard... LOL

Last edited:
So I've been at if for about 6 weeks now. First I started walking, then walking faster, then walking longer, then started alternating between jogging and walking. I do upper body workouts mostly just using my own body weight. i.e. pull ups, sit ups, push ups, etc. I've also cleaned up my diet and cut down on alcohol consumption. I've only lost 7.5lbs (yes I am counting that half pound too), but I've gone down two belt notches and I've gained some muscle mass in my upper body and legs. The Experience was a big set back for me (two beer trucks, what's a fella to do?) but I'm back in the saddle now and feeling good.

Let's hear from some other members. Share your stories and inspire us.

Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.

Last edited:
Since July 20, I've lost 11 pounds.

Here's what I've been doing, plus walking:

http://lowglycemicload.com

With this diet I don't feel hungry all the time, so it's been very easy to stay on. I figure losing a little over a pound a week is a good result. There are studies that show that a faster weight loss goes back on more quickly.

My doctor is very happy with the 1.4 drop in my hemoglobin A1C.

Good for you Les, I'm glad to hear it's working for you!

Those mobile apps that count calories are a great way to keep track of daily calorie intake. Even if you only do it for a month, you'll see where your calorie expenditures come from and you can make choices accordingly.

I can easily lose a pound a day if I eat a all veggie salad for lunch with balsamic (no oil) and a lean dinner. Adult beverages are the trick. I love beer and the hardest part is trying to forget about that "hobby". I keep a 12 pack of Becks Light in the fridge when I'm dieting. 64 calories and it creates an illusion of drinking beer.

Diet alone will do it. But if you can add a form of excercise that you LIKE to your routine a few times a week, that will just act as a multiplier.

For what it's worth, people who know more than I tell me longer, low intensity efforts are more beneficial than short, intense efforts. The 30 mile bike ride at 17mph will shed more fat than a 10 miler at 20+.

One of those calorie counting apps made me realize I need to drastically cut back on my beer intake. I still love beer, but I'll only have a couple over the weekend.

This video also had a big impact on my way of thinking. I think it's pretty solid advice, just be active for 30 minutes a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.

I turn 48 in October, I work on my feet for 12 to 14 hours a day, back in January i was introduce to Crossfit and a modified Paleo diet. Ive always been athletic and competitive by nature, Crossfit satisfies the competitive side of my personality at the same time being able to slowly scale down their workouts until you are up to speed. Ive lost 20lbs since January and feel better mentally and physically than i have since i was in my 20's...Life changer!

BTW: CrossFit is a core strength and conditioning program.

Happy to hear that, Chef. I just need to start anything, but somehow, can't find the will to do it.

Brother I hear you loud and clear man.... baby steps...both our lifestyles make it hard to be disciplined but there comes a point when you become tired of feeling like **** as we get older and you make the decision to make a change... not easy to do but when you are ready you will do it for you!

Get it ready for Cliff and Cave dwelling next summer ;-)
We need to start coordinating soon, Vinnie!

canyon1.jpg

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;24208 said:
We need to start coordinating soon, Vinnie!

canyon1.jpg

Damn Hans I'll need a pair of rubber diapeers to sleep in those caves lol.... Hey any chance ur gonna be in the NYC area soon?

I'm 57, very soon to be 58. I have a pudge and love handles :( I recently changed from regular coke to Mexican coke. The difference is real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.

Don't let the corn lobby fool you - HFCS is EVIL. It is metabolized primarily in the liver and primarily into fat. It also has no satiety effect on thirst, in fact, some research says it actually works you in the opposite direction.

Since switching, I am down 10 lbs on a good day and I drink much less coke because it satisfies my thirst faster.

So I've been at if for about 6 weeks now. First I started walking, then walking faster, then walking longer, then started alternating between jogging and walking. I do upper body workouts mostly just using my own body weight. i.e. pull ups, sit ups, push ups, etc. I've also cleaned up my diet and cut down on alcohol consumption. I've only lost 7.5lbs (yes I am counting that half pound too), but I've gone down two belt notches and I've gained some muscle mass in my upper body and legs. The Experience was a big set back for me (two beer trucks, what's a fella to do?) but I'm back in the saddle now and feeling good.

Let's hear from some other members. Share your stories and inspire us.

That's a great rate of weight loss.

Last week I started using the My Fitness Pal app/site to support my wife, who wants to lose 30 lbs. I've done calorie tracking before, and it really can open your eyes. My Fitness Pal also tracks your balance of carbs, fat and protein so you can adjust your diet accordingly. Really useful to me for watching my health, since my goal is to maintain my current weight. Having/giving support increases the chance of success.

There's nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation. Just budget it into your daily calorie intake. For example, skip the dinner roll and drink a beer instead! And remember, all the activity you do earns you extra calories. I burned at least 1000 calories cycling yesterday, which more than covers a couple of beers.

Back