Exercise routine

Shawn@PRS

yogi
So I find I need to exercise more than I used to, just to maintain a healthy weight. I try to watch what I eat and walk 5-6 days a week. I'm not much of a runner, so I walk instead. I have to do something so my butt doesn't look fat in those jeans.

What exercise/diet routines do you guys follow?

I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!

Hockey, you have a couple of rinks going either east or west of the factory. Biking is another option and your surrounding area is relatively flat which is a plus.

I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

I'm 35 in a few months and i've noticed a definate slowdown the past couple of years. I'm still overweight but i've found dieting doesn't work because like most who diet it gets piled back on when I fall back into the old routine. I've had to make - and continue to make lifestyle changes.

I've never been into weights or jogging / running or going to a gym. I love cycling and swimming though. I think that's one of the keys to exercise... You've got to enjoy it!

Food wise i've cut out as many high fat and high sugar foods as I can and save the grease as treats. Hard going though... The bad stuff tastes so good!

I'm with you Mike, I'm not "dieting" I'm making lifestyle changes. I've never been into fast food so that isn't a problem, but I am trying to cut out some processed foods, junk carbs and my beloved pasta. (I have an Italian mother, how can I not love pasta?) I've been walking with my wife which allows us some one on one time which busy couples rarely get. Anyway, I'm feeling good and I'm loosing weight!

Oh yeah, a few beers on weekends only, but no alcohol during he week.

Good for you Les!

They say walking burns as many calories as running. I don't know if that is true, but "they" say it anyway.

I was a runner for a long time, but my knees finally gave out now that I'm -ahem- OLD, so I walk. I've started watching my diet carefully (avoiding glycemic loads) and I actually seem to be taking off some weight. Wooo!

Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

That's not cool Mike, is everything OK?

Just hit 39....I have cut out all fast food, trying to limit Cokes, and down to an Oreo a day. I've started doing the red wine thing at night, fish oil, and a multi vitamin. And last, but not least, I go biking for 30 minutes or more a day....just a little under seven miles a day. I got a good scare at my physical with the threat of cancer. Time to straighten up and fly right for me.

I've never had a weight problem but I lead an active lifestyle. Mike Garvey said it best, find some activity you enjoy and you'll never exercise again, you'll simply be having fun.

I haven't made the jump to stick with it myself, but I work around a lot of guys that eat in a 'paleo' manner for lack of a better term. They basically are avoiding anything processed and for exercise they are doing a crossfit program. Robb Wolf's name comes up a lot in those converstations. So like i say I haven't gotten myself to stick to it but I've seen impressive results in other folks doing it.

Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

I have the opposite problem... I was so skinny that my immunity went weak and my health fragile, so now I'm trying to eat more and exercise to build some muscles. Mostly pull ups and push ups, but not exactly every day, because I have some discipline issues =)

I pop my ipod on and try to ride the mountain bike a couple times a week for at least 10 miles a ride. Trails and pavement, ride hard thru the woods and ride easy on pavement catching my breath...till I see a hot jogger :) . Try to stay away from fast food but have some pizza on fridays..lol love pizza! Had a stroke 8 yearsago and I'm only 45 so I got a big wakeup call!! Used to smoke ciggs and ate crap all the time...the change in food alone I started loosing weight!! Just gotta eat right and keep moving!! and stay away from soda...another treat I like!!

Hey Shawn. Do you go to the gym? Or is this something you want to accomplish outside of that environment? My wife is a personal trainer and I'll see if she can offer some advice or a training program.

Back