Exercise routine

And remember:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and
well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - CABERNET in one hand - chocolate in the other -
body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and SCREAMING "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

AND.....

Eat and drink what you really like.

This, with my edits. Listen to your body, it does speak to you. Everything in moderation, except wine ;) And yes you need to get off your a$$ everyday and do something physically. Find something that you enjoy doing everyday.

I hear what you're saying Bill, I'm just trying to slide into the grave when I'm about 90 and not when I'm 50! :)

^^This!

Lost my dad to a heartattack and he was only 61. Among the men in the family from my father's side, heart attacks are quite common and killer no. 1. Hoping to start a family soon and I would like to be around for my kid a little longer than his 20th birthday.
Keeping my bad cholesterol level low is a starter. Haven't smoked in a year (been smoking a couple of months each year for the last ten years, so I'm proud of not having smoked a whole year) and am limiting my alcohol intake. Also skipping sodas and sweets as best as I can. But that's not the most difficult part. The most difficult part is limiting all the nice hearty stuff, like the French saucissons (dry sausages) that I love, cheeses and red meat in general.

Wow, that turned out way too serious, so I'll end with this:

Guy visits the doc and is told that he only has 6 months to live. He asks the doc if there's anything he could do. Doc says, "Sure, quit smoking, drinking and having sex." Guy says: "OK, will that make me live longer?" Doc: "No, but it will seem longer." :D

Couple more tests to be run...things are honestly looking pretty good. Thanks for the comments!

The doctor who did the physical (work physical) just kinda dropped that on me - quick freak out and on to my doctor.

If you are comfortable answering, what type of cancer is suspected?

Cancer is scary but it can be treated successfully if caught early. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer six years ago after a physical exam and subsequent biopsy. The docs took care of me and I'm cancer free (so far.)

I've been trying to cut back on carbs in general with special emphasis on trying to eliminate corn (in all it's forms) from my diet. I still enjoy an adult beverage or two on the weekends but I've switched to vodka with club soda and a wedge of lime. It tastes good enough and doesn't provide unnecessary calories. For the month of September I clocked over 80 miles on foot. Not an astonishing number, but I'm pretty damn happy with it. I'd like to best that number for the month of October but it's looking to be a busy month so I don't know if it will happen.

Luckily for me I have a nice "rails to trails" path just a block behind my house. It provides a nice area to exercise without a lot of traffic to deal with.

photo-8-1.jpg

Would you mind sharing why you're droppilng corn? Haven't heard that one. Carbs often get unfairly vilified, IMO. Then again, so does fat (You need them both!). I think the main thing is to maintain a balanced diet and limit the processed carbs like refined sugar and flour, and avoid the "bad" fats.

Man, I'm jealous of that trail! I had yesterday off work, so I drove to the other side of town to go biking on a similar trail. It was such a great ride! I live in the inner part of the Atlanta metro area, so all the rides I can do from home are much more urban and have a fair bit of on-street time. The rails-to-trails I rode yesterday runs from the western suburbs through the country, all the way into Alabama! I averaged almost 2 mph faster than my other routes, and my greatest worry was hoping I didn't run over any squirrels or chipmunks. ;)

Would you mind sharing why you're droppilng corn? Haven't heard that one. Carbs often get unfairly vilified, IMO. Then again, so does fat (You need them both!). I think the main thing is to maintain a balanced diet and limit the processed carbs like refined sugar and flour, and avoid the "bad" fats.

Man, I'm jealous of that trail! I had yesterday off work, so I drove to the other side of town to go biking on a similar trail. It was such a great ride! I live in the inner part of the Atlanta metro area, so all the rides I can do from home are much more urban and have a fair bit of on-street time. The rails-to-trails I rode yesterday runs from the western suburbs through the country, all the way into Alabama! I averaged almost 2 mph faster than my other routes, and my greatest worry was hoping I didn't run over any squirrels or chipmunks. ;)

Hi Garrett,

I'm trying to Eliminate corn because our bodies can't digest it. Even with processed sugar, although not good for you, is not as harmful as corn and can be digested by humans. Corn is used to fatten up cattle and pork, so I assume it is doing the same to me.

I live in a small rural town but we bought in this specific neighborhood in order to be within walking distance to restaurants, the local music venue and of course the trail. It's been a real treat.

Ok Shawn... 13 October. The day after my 39th Birthday.

It's on like Donkey Kong.

Beefcake.

BEEFCAKE!

Beefcake-Posters.jpg

I know it's hard to imagine why there aren't half a dozen hot chicks feeding me grapes, but it's time to get back to the gym and lose the man-boobs.

IMG_0157_zpsaa5e6221.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to make a comment about your toes putting you at a real disadvantage, but then I saw Jamie. What the hell is wrong with his face?:eek:

I should read through this thread, my gut's getting huge:bawling:
Now I'm depressed. Think I'll go drink a beer :D

Hi Garrett,

I'm trying to Eliminate corn because our bodies can't digest it. Even with processed sugar, although not good for you, is not as harmful as corn and can be digested by humans. Corn is used to fatten up cattle and pork, so I assume it is doing the same to me.

I live in a small rural town but we bought in this specific neighborhood in order to be within walking distance to restaurants, the local music venue and of course the trail. It's been a real treat.

Hmm, I'm no expert, but from what I know corn is good for you. You get fiber, protein, natural sugar. Good stuff. But the corn we buy at the store is not the same as the corn used to feed livestock and make high fructose corn syrup.

I agree, being within walking distance of amenities is great. It was a must for choosing our house too.

Oh, and, BEEFCAAAAAAAAKE!!!

I'm resurrecting this thread.

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.

After a rough month, I'm back on track. My exercise routine has actually flattened out but I'm becoming more aware of my diet. I've drastically cut down on carbs, so now I'll eat two cookies instead of 12 or I'll drink one beer instead of four. Anyway, I've dropped 15 lbs and I'm thrilled with my progress. Let me hear your success stories, I need more motivation.

Nice. Well I know I've dropped 10 pounds over six months with my cycling and eating decently. Not that I was ever a big guy at all, but I weigh the same at 33 as I did at 20 and I'm in better shape.

I'll gauge my real success after I go to the doc for a check up next week. I dida health assessment in April and wasn't happy with some of my results. I got serious and made my changes at the beginning of June, so I'm interested to see what six months can do!

Hey Hans (and anyone else that cares), I've had some great success lately, 22 pounds in 14 weeks and I was never heavy to begin with. Now leaner than I was at 17-27 and feeling fantastic. I have learnt a bunch about nutrition and exercise, and it really is simple to lose a bunch of weight quickly and healthily.

If you're happy for me to, I'll post some links every day or 2 to share this knowledge.

Motivation time!

I had blood tests done back in April, and again today. Leading up to the April test, I had been slipping further and further out of shape for a year or two. In May, I adjusted my diet for the better and in June I started cycling regularly.

Total cholesterol: 199 --> 160
HDL (good) cholesterol: 21 --> 41
LDL (bad) cholesterol: 144 --> 94
Risk Ratio: 9.5 --> 3.9 (3.5 is considered ideal)

This is a great result! Everything is in the happy range now. This is all very important to me because my dad has heart disease and had two heart attacks in his early 40's. I definitely do not want to go down that road!

Keep up the good work, it pays off.

Back