'COVID-19' Projects

In lieu of gardening today, am planning on the first part towards completion of a small build project. What with the cost of production pieces nowadays, it will cost me less to use some scrap lumber and build what I'll need myself.

The project is a 18" tall wooden patio side table, for holding drinks, citronella candles, and/or a dinner plate. Will be using 3 pieces of 2x6 lengths sandwiched side by side with 2x4 cleats and X-braced feet.

My brother owns a router with which the X-brace will fit together equally at an angle then secured with 2-½" plated screws.

My job today will be to cut the table top cleats to length, then secure them to the 3 pieces of 2x6 perpendicularly. I think all I'll need is 3 lengths of cleats for the top, 4 lengths for the X-brace, and 1 length that will act as a length between where the X-braces cross for more stability.

Am considering adding additional lengths of 2x4 along the outside edge underneath the top for more strength, but I think the 3 lengths of 2x4 will be enough.

Once the top is finished, my brother and I will put together the X-bracing Saturday afternoon and attach it to the table underside.

Project requires (2) 2" x 4" x 10' ; box of zinc-plated 2-½ inch construction screws, and 2 pipe clamps (which I'll use for future projects). Lengths of 2" x 6" are scrap lumber from a project last year.

Pics of the patio side table top in progress. Used pipe clamps to hold the 2x6s together a screw-width apart, then secured the 2x4 cleats, middle cleat first, on a flat surface. Used zinc-plated yellow #1 2-½" hex-star screws...

2x4 X-braced legs with center support will follow later this weekend when my brother can help rout the sections where the 2x4 legs will cross (for even surface attachment on inner 2x4 top cleats)

imhoA88.jpg
QSf4U8l.jpg

Granted, my carpentry skills are next to nil. Though this will do for what I need. In awe of others who are much more talented.

Last edited:
06/13 - Spent an afternoon of bickering with elderly Mom about trying to solve her broken HP printer wi-fi connection. Issue stemmed from each time the computer or printer was shut down, the wi-fi connection would require reconfiguring at the printer. Bickering stemmed from elderly parent not being tech savvy in the least, which requires high maintenance from her offspring.

Happened again today. Tried downloading some software and drivers, to no avail. Still was a connectivity issue HP was not addressing in their FAQs/troubleshooting section.

Said, "Screw it, we're going direct via USB." Which solved the wi-fi connectivity issue by turning the printer's wireless feature off. Once the USB cable was connected, and printer powered up, the downloaded HP Smart app recognized the printer, and configured it automatically for USB. Even did a blind printer test with computer/printer off/then back on again.

I did remind elderly parent that if this did not solve her printer issue, she'd need either a new computer or printer. Ever hear an old woman have a conniption? Almost, guys.

06/13 - Spent an afternoon of bickering with elderly Mom about trying to solve her broken HP printer wi-fi connection. Issue stemmed from each time the computer or printer was shut down, the wi-fi connection would require reconfiguring at the printer. Bickering stemmed from elderly parent not being tech savvy in the least, which requires high maintenance from her offspring.

Happened again today. Tried downloading some software and drivers, to no avail. Still was a connectivity issue HP was not addressing in their FAQs/troubleshooting section.

Said, "Screw it, we're going direct via USB." Which solved the wi-fi connectivity issue by turning the printer's wireless feature off. Once the USB cable was connected, and printer powered up, the downloaded HP Smart app recognized the printer, and configured it automatically for USB. Even did a blind printer test with computer/printer off/then back on again.

I did remind elderly parent that if this did not solve her printer issue, she'd need either a new computer or printer. Ever hear an old woman have a conniption? Almost, guys.

My mom called me a number of years ago to tell me her 'Google had broken'. Turns out she had slightly resized her window and the signature line was now 'below the fold' on her gmail compose a message page.

I feel your pain. But, I lost her a few years ago and I miss those funny, irritating, frustrating phone calls.

My mom called me a number of years ago to tell me her 'Google had broken'. Turns out she had slightly resized her window and the signature line was now 'below the fold' on her gmail compose a message page.

I feel your pain. But, I lost her a few years ago and I miss those funny, irritating, frustrating phone calls.

Right?

Man, what I would give to have to drop whatever I’m doing to drive to my Mom’s to just have to press the f@cking input button on her TV remote for her.

Yep. Mom apologized last night, we had a heart-to-heart talk. Turns out Mom was feeling out of sorts because she couldn't do the things she used to, and was having slight difficulty doing things like remembering words for the crossword puzzle.

Really? Yup. Mom's angst was because she'd start to do the crosswords, but would need to set it aside until later because the words she could usually knew didn't come to her immediately.

I then asked her if she could remember people's names, phone numbers or addresses. Mom admitted she could not easily.

I reassured Mom that that is why both of us have a phone or computer with an Address Book/Contacts app so we not need try to remember every single person, place, or business we've ever met or been to. I said at that point, there are things we'll likely remember because they were ingrained in our long-term memory, whereas the things that happen day to day we'll likely forget, because they weren't ingrained into us. It's "OK" to forget unimportant things, whereas important things you'll want too remember.

Yep. Mom apologized last night, we had a heart-to-heart talk. Turns out Mom was feeling out of sorts because she couldn't do the things she used to, and was having slight difficulty doing things like remembering words for the crossword puzzle.

Really? Yup. Mom's angst was because she'd start to do the crosswords, but would need to set it aside until later because the words she could usually knew didn't come to her immediately.

I then asked her if she could remember people's names, phone numbers or addresses. Mom admitted she could not easily.

I reassured Mom that that is why both of us have a phone or computer with an Address Book/Contacts app so we not need try to remember every single person, place, or business we've ever met or been to. I said at that point, there are things we'll likely remember because they were ingrained in our long-term memory, whereas the things that happen day to day we'll likely forget, because they weren't ingrained into us. It's "OK" to forget unimportant things, whereas important things you'll want too remember.

My mother used to refer to it as her 'hard drive being full'... It was harder to remember new stuff, than the old dusty memories that had been with her for life.

It happens to all of us, if we live long enough. But, I imagine it is scary when you're in the middle of it. My mother was always afraid she would lose her 'self'. Both her parents had struggled with memory stuff late in life (they were 89 and a 92 when they passed, so....). My Grandfather really had a hard time. My mom started to show some signs in the last year or two of her life. But, luckily, we don't have any really scary memories, etc.

Good luck, and I hope she has many happy years left to bug you with computer questions!

Great work Wil.

Sorry to hear about the knee, hope all goes well with the MRI.

Now if I could just work out a way to sneak that Purple (CU24?) out from the middle without you noticing!:oops:

So you’re saying that you probably couldn’t run after someone?!

You're gonna hate me, but a guy from Austin, TX is going to be playing the purple and gray piezo 24 beast... I just didn't use it because I've been using the JTV for the piezo fake acoustic tricks (what little I use it live). I won't feel as guilty of I changed the magnetics and it's a little more of a "throw around" guitar than a core PRS money wise. Dohhhh.

I put it up last night and the offer level I was targeting came up this morning with the right kind of 'verb profile feedback and history.

:(:confused:

My mother used to refer to it as her 'hard drive being full'... It was harder to remember new stuff, than the old dusty memories that had been with her for life.

It happens to all of us, if we live long enough. But, I imagine it is scary when you're in the middle of it. My mother was always afraid she would lose her 'self'. Both her parents had struggled with memory stuff late in life (they were 89 and a 92 when they passed, so....). My Grandfather really had a hard time. My mom started to show some signs in the last year or two of her life. But, luckily, we don't have any really scary memories, etc.

Good luck, and I hope she has many happy years left to bug you with computer questions!

My frustration stemmed from a lack of patience with Mom. Mom's problem is that she raises her voice in an intimidating way when she thinks she's not being "heard," which is completely unwarranted. Mom blames it on the fact that my Dad didn't always treat Mom with kindness, and when she hears something similar coming from me, Mom retaliates.

I've learned from several decades of this that even a well-intended verbal jab comes across like a knife that wounds, but Mom is guilty of this more than I am even though she pleads ignorance. And so it goes. We get in our teasing only if the recipient isn't tired or in a lousy mood. I think the only reason the teasing occurs is to keep both Mom and me alert and awake to larger "tests" which could prove disastrous if left unchecked.

Kind of like the illustration about what happens when you hear a funny noise coming from your car. Does you fix the car, or turn up the radio to drown out the noise? Clearly, in order to avoid costlier repairs down the road, you'd fix the car. Same applies to my Mom's issues. I use what temporary means I can to fix Mom's problems so they don't become bigger ones later on.

In this instance, the USB cable was the only viable solution for fixing my Mom's wireless printer issues. Granted, we can't print remotely or from phone on the same wireless network, but at least Mom can still print, copy and scan as she did before.

Regards Mom remembering things, Mom has several activities she engages in that stimulate her thought process and help keep her mind sharp. I think being isolated with Covid prevent Mom from socializing as she once did before which has affected her mood and memory. As the local authorities re-open businesses and allow for larger gatherings, family has followed suit and thought to imitate what authorities have allowed.

Mom & I shared a meal out on our back patio yesterday as the sun began to set. It was cool enough and the neighbors didn't seem to mind the chatter emanating from our patio. Sunday evening was actually enjoyable. No one intimidated one another, got overheated, lobbed verbal hand grenades at one another, or used live ammo. (Can happily say, this good son values his relationship with his family and only tried to fill in the blanks when there were gaps in chronology, or missing data, or when conversational maintenance was necessary.)

You're gonna hate me, but a guy from Austin, TX is going to be playing the purple and gray piezo 24 beast... I just didn't use it because I've been using the JTV for the piezo fake acoustic tricks (what little I use it live). I won't feel as guilty of I changed the magnetics and it's a little more of a "throw around" guitar than a core PRS money wise. Dohhhh.

I put it up last night and the offer level I was targeting came up this morning with the right kind of 'verb profile feedback and history.

:(:confused:

You have to do what you have to do (sniff!).

In more recent happenings, I spent some time checking out patio side tables at online retailers and was surprised at some of the costs. What to do? Build one.

So here's some images of my recent efforts (albeit rudimentary carpentry skills) that solved my problem.

QSf4U8l.jpg

imhoA88.jpg

The above shows the cleats underneath the table top, which were built by placing 2-½" screws at 4 positions between the three 2x6 boards, securing the boards with pipe clamps, and attaching the middle cleat first. The outer 2 cleats were attached once the boards held together.

8o1nAwe.jpg

The X-Braced legs were measured by placing 2x4s at angles that provided the most stability and "foot spread," so the width of the top approximately matched the width of the foot base. After cutting the correct angle at which the 2x4s would attach to the underside of the top, the foot angle was also cut. Then, securing with a 2-½" screw, pencil marks were made where we would rout the 2x4s where the legs would cross. Removing the screw, the legs were routed and tapped into place, then secured with a couple screws again. The legs were attached to the upper cleats in several spots, then a center 2x4 was attached.

The moment of truth came when we stood the table up. LOL. The table was definitely not level, and needed adjustment. So, using a pencil compass scribe, we used a carpenter's level to hold the table level, then measured the distance from ground to leg where the legs were too short. then using the pencil scribe, marked the difference on the longer legs, which would need to be cut.

My brother used his power saw holding it horizontally as he trimmed the greater lengths. we said a prayer and hoped for the best. This time, the table stood equally on all 4 feet, as appears in the lower image.

All in all, the project cost about $60 for lumber, 2-½" zinc-coated star head screws, and pipe clamps. I could stain this piece, but will likely wait a year for the PT lumber to age a season outdoors.

Last edited:
Back