'COVID-19' Projects

I have been procrastinating for years. BUT I have actually started on my effort to build a "Sam Maloof inspired" rocking chair. Here is how I HOPE it ends up looking. All the wood is in place, a few remaining specialty tools have been ordered and wood cutting/shaping has begun.....

It's going to have to be one helluva porch that tries to outshine that rocker.

I have been procrastinating for years. BUT I have actually started on my effort to build a "Sam Maloof inspired" rocking chair. Here is how I HOPE it ends up looking. All the wood is in place, a few remaining specialty tools have been ordered and wood cutting/shaping has begun.....

It's going to have to be one helluva porch that tries to outshine that rocker.

My feeling is that if one uses the correct tools to carve with, you can accomplish things of beauty. This is one of them.

COVID Project this week:

Replacing Mom's last legs UPS power supply. Her old UPS cycles on and off with audible clicks, the effectively turns on and off Mom's Music app volume. I know this sounds very weird, but we've determined that when the UPS clicks once, the Music sound will shut off, then, when the UPS clicks again, the sound will return. The error occurs with any audio function, be it YT or FaceTime.

We attribute this to the old UPS as having a "Master" outlet that governs the remaining outlets, and as the UPS cycles on and off, it effectively shuts off the sound of the audio apps.

The way we determined it was the UPS was we tested the Music app with both computer monitors plugged into the headphones output jack, and with the iMac's computer internal speakers. We narrowed things down to the UPS supply once all usable audio functions were tested with the UPS supply cycling on and off.

EDIT: New UPS Arrived from Staples. Will set about performing the maintenance task once Mom arrives home from her time away.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd share a chuckle from this morning. The Mrs was out on the deck planting some peppers this morning, and noticed the neighbor behind us come out of his townhouse. They exchanged "hellos", and then he started clipping the bush in front of his townhouse with a pair of scissors. My wife hollered at him that we had an electronic bush trimmer that he could use. He thanked her, but declined, and then explained that his kids (sons 2, 6 and 16) were driving him nuts, and the scissors would keep him away from them longer than the trimmers would. Made me laugh.

Just thought I'd share a chuckle from this morning. The Mrs was out on the deck planting some peppers this morning, and noticed the neighbor behind us come out of his townhouse. They exchanged "hellos", and then he started clipping the bush in front of his townhouse with a pair of scissors. My wife hollered at him that we had an electronic bush trimmer that he could use. He thanked her, but declined, and then explained that his kids (sons 2, 6 and 16) were driving him nuts, and the scissors would keep him away from them longer than the trimmers would. Made me laugh.

Thanks for this. Scissors are also less noisy than hedge trimmers, or nose flutes.

Last edited:
Woot!

Watching my niece's virtual Harvard master's commencement before work today.

My niece has worked so hard and was anxious because of the pandemic causing the requirement for completing coursework online. My niece detested online coursework and preferred the hands-on approach. Regardless, my niece finished with high honors and hopes to teach disadvantaged or cognitively disabled students. My niece is receiving her master's degree in the field of Mind, Brain, & Education from Harvard University.

Pleased uncle.

Zach Braff and Donald Fason from "Scrubs" are doing a re-watch podcast, going through the show episode by episode from the beginning. This had been in the works before quarantine, and they thought quarantine had put the project on hold, but iHeart Radio helped push it forward and it's going strong. This pic is from a different live event that they did, but you can see Faison is in a closet - that's where he records his side of the podcast. He said he goes in there to get away from his wife and kids. He said the kids don't like to play in the closet, so it's the only place he can get peace and quiet to do the show.

sub-buzz-173-1585699203-8.jpg

Well,

I read the literature associated with Mom's new UPS supply. It was necessary to attach the battery within the new UPS supply. It was also necessary to disconnect the battery from the old supply and dispose of it.

Since my work this past week included taking an exam which described understanding package labelling, it was easier to see just what type of hazardous material was included in the UPS supply package.

Apparently, lithium-ion batteries fall under the "Dangerous (When Wet)" Class 4 and Class 9 hazard. And sure enough, the outer package was labelled correctly as containing this particular type of hazard.

My concern was with the disposal of the old battery, so, after the disconnect, the battery was wrapped up with masking tape (covering the battery terminals) so that no one might receive a nasty shock from the battery. And, likewise, the battery label was still in view so that people could see exactly what the item was, so as to not confuse hazardous waste with reusable material.

Mom is now happier with her new UPS supply, which is now secured firmly with her computer desk and printer. Only thing we're concerned about currently is how much written material she has scattered about her study desk. (Mom isn't one to fall into the "clean desk" category)

Discovered earlier this evening that peanut butter does not go well with cream cheese on an English muffin. Unless you wish to try to swallow a huge clump of goo, stick to PBJ or CCJ.

What a beautiful chair. What woods are going into yours?

It is going to be primarily walnut. It is very intimidating to be starting with big blocks of walnut, some 2" or more thick, and look at all the shaping that has to be done to unlock the chair hiding within. The rocker rails will include a strip or two of maple as a contrast. For the "plugs" for joinery, I am leaning towards ebony.

Thus far, the seat is rough shaped, with joints cut to fit the front legs (rounded on the lathe) and rear legs. Then, on to the arms which need to be cut at specific 6 degree angles for joinery. Each arm starts with a 2.25 X 4.75 X 20 inch solid piece of walnut.

Here are a few "in progress" pix to disabuse anyone out of the theory that this is a weekend project. And some sense as to why I was too intimidated to start for so long. But I do have some time on my hands, so.....

There will be a LOT of sawdust:

Work in progress earlier on legs and joints to connect to the seat....
I am pretty sure I do not have more than ONE of these in me!

I've just finished installing a dust collector in my shop. (it's not too neat at the moment, but it's working)
Also, just finished a lid for a Maestro Echoplex.
A couple weeks ago, I built a new gate for the top of my stairs. (Grandkids sleep in a bedroom up there, and the dog strays up there, unsupervised, every now and again)

Halfway through a guitar display cabinet that will hold 12 guitars, with led lighting and auto-humidification.

So I finally got the parts in and got this hanger/rails thingy done thanks to my beautiful wife giving invaluable assistance.

MRI Thursday on my right knee. Started popping when I stand up from below a certain angle. Ortho suspects strained knee cap or possible meniscus troubles. Played a gig with it Friday night!

Now I get to put my studio desks back together.
102659663_10217577793260693_3363306417130242233_o.jpg

Great work Wil.

Sorry to hear about the knee, hope all goes well with the MRI.

Now if I could just work out a way to sneak that Purple (CU24?) out from the middle without you noticing!:oops:

So you’re saying that you probably couldn’t run after someone?!

Great work Wil.

Sorry to hear about the knee, hope all goes well with the MRI.

Now if I could just work out a way to sneak that Purple (CU24?) out from the middle without you noticing!:oops:

So you’re saying that you probably couldn’t run after someone?!

I could trot... LoL! We won't talk about the long range shoulder tappers. Hehehe!

That's a charcoal purple burst? P24 I picked up. Regular core top. Love the piezo system!!! My first PRS piezo!
I HAD to put the Joker green strap on her. ROFLMAO!!! o_O:D:cool:

Back