Song writing communities? I need some motivation.

I have not released any music since June of 2021. The reason though is not for lack of motivation (I have written probably 100 songs since then), it is due to my concentration on learning to perform (even though 99% of it has been at home).

At the start of 2021, I decided I would release a song a week for the whole year. For the first 13 weeks of 2021, I did just that. After those first 3 months, I stepped back and asked myself why I was doing this and determined that as lofty a goal as it was, it was not serving me very well (most songs were under-produced). Every week I was concentrating on recording, mixing, artworking every song, and it was leaving me no time for anything else. I also came to the realization that even though I had released about 70 songs, and have written about 2,000 of them in my life, I could not play a single one of them live. My focus then shifted learning my music so I could perform it (not that anybody other than me wants to hear it). This then evolved into me also playing other peoples music (which has been sooooo much fun, "Dirty Laundry" and "Starfish and Coffee" are my two new set list additions that I love playing), and between those two elements, I have spent basically zero time in the last 20 months on recording anything other than my sets I play (I am up to 5 hours I can play without any notes/lyrics and another 3 hours or so with lyric sheets - Dylan and his dozen verses to a song). But that changes now, as I have to get my new album out which I have been planing for the past two months or so. Songs are all written, need to start recording!

I wish I could help others with motivating, but that is of course a very personal thing. I think what motivates me most is how much I love what I produce. I have friends who have been professional musicians for decades, and they don't even like listening to their own music. I feel sorry for them! I love listening to my own work, probably due to the fact that I created what I wanted to hear ;~))

For drum parts, I use Addictive Drums (similar to EZ Drummer - VST instrument). I sometimes use pre-configured loops but change the kit, effects and the bpm, stuff like that. Other times I will set up a kit in that program (I think they have really good samples) and play the parts on my MIDI keyboard to get a more real feel. I always do my own percussion recordings and will generally record bongo, cabassa, tambo, clave, eggs and cowbell tracks and then just use the best bits of each track if/when they fit.

Best I can say is, enjoy what you are doing and if you are not enjoying the process or the final product, figure out why that is and adjust as necessary! I know I have been very supportive of all who post anything in the Studio & Stage section here on the forum simply for the fact that these individuals are ready to share and should have support for their visions, regardless of whether I like it or not. Not saying I am going to tell everyone how great they are, but always try to find something good to say about their efforts. If you like writing songs, write songs; if you want to do research, do it. In college, I studied writing through browse this site because I was the head of our campus activists. Then I started writing my book, but I gave up halfway through. Now I like to write songs. Be yourself, looking forward to hearing music from each and every one of you!!!!

Girlfriend just left so time for me to make some noise! Going to work on the song I wrote this morning (that happens to me a lot)!
Good thoughts on own songs. It always seemed strange to me when someone did not listen to their music because it contradicts the very principle of creation as such.
Regarding motivation, for me, there is only one rule - if you like it - do it; if you do not enjoy what you are doing, look for something that will bring joy to you.
Edit: Yes, I know that there are people who make money doing this. But in my understanding, even work should bring pleasure. Otherwise, depression and dissatisfaction with yourself will become your companions.

Last edited:
Good thoughts on own songs. It always seemed strange to me when someone did not listen to their music because it contradicts the very principle of creation as such.
Regarding motivation, for me, there is only one rule - if you like it - do it; if you do not enjoy what you are doing, look for something that will bring joy to you.
There are many people who exclusively create to make money and/or garner fans. I personally am not interested in such pursuits which is one of the reasons I never wanted a career in music! Last thing I am interested in is making music for anything other than my creative interests!! Welcome to the forum Miles88!!!

I am looking for a good song writing community. I have recording equipment and pretty much everything I need to make music.

And… I’ve never bounced back. My ass remains firmly planted on the sofa. I even went and bought a new Lappletop and interface, and have logged a total of two hours on it since buying it like, 8 months ago.

I’ve lost all my ambition.

As many here know, I write music professionally. It's something that's hard for me to do, and I don't even have to go to a day job; when there's something else that takes up most of your time, such as a 40 hour/week job or family responsibilities, no doubt inspiration is more difficult to come by.

Creating original music is also difficult because it's hard to follow through. It takes discipline. And it's like a muscle - it needs exercise constantly or the rust builds, the ennui takes over, and eventually the whole thing simply fades into 'oh, I used to do that when I was X years old'.

I write music every single day. Most of it's orchestral. But I'm no paragon of virtue, I do it because I must. If I don't, I'm not a happy camper. I've spoken with many songwriters and composers over the last 33 years, and all of us seem to do it because we're driven to do it, and we create music nearly every day.

Most of what I write winds up in the trash. But like the infinite number of monkeys on typewriters eventually completing War and Peace, by writing enough I create a few things that stay out of the garbage can.

I can't recommend specific communities, that's going to vary by location (there are a zillion songwriter's workshops in LA, for example), but there's a book I've returned to many times since I bought it in the '90s; the interesting coincidence is that my son discovered the same book independently, which I learned when we were talking about inspiration. So that's two creatives in one family referencing the same material, and that seems kinda significant since we're both making our livings in the creative world.

The book is called The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. There's a hard cover version and a companion soft cover workbook. I have both. I use them. If you can discipline yourself to follow its suggestions, you might be able to kick the can down the road a little farther.

As many here know, I write music professionally. It's something that's hard for me to do, and I don't even have to go to a day job; when there's something else that takes up most of your time, such as a 40 hour/week job or family responsibilities, no doubt inspiration is more difficult to come by.

Creating original music is also difficult because it's hard to follow through. It takes discipline. And it's like a muscle - it needs exercise constantly or the rust builds, the ennui takes over, and eventually the whole thing simply fades into 'oh, I used to do that when I was X years old'.

I write music every single day. Most of it's orchestral. But I'm no paragon of virtue, I do it because I must. If I don't, I'm not a happy camper. I've spoken with many songwriters and composers over the last 33 years, and all of us seem to do it because we're driven to do it, and we create music nearly every day.

Most of what I write winds up in the trash. But like the infinite number of monkeys on typewriters eventually completing War and Peace, by writing enough I create a few things that stay out of the garbage can.

I can't recommend specific communities, that's going to vary by location (there are a zillion songwriter's workshops in LA, for example), but there's a book I've returned to many times since I bought it in the '90s; the interesting coincidence is that my son discovered the same book independently, which I learned when we were talking about inspiration. So that's two creatives in one family referencing the same material, and that seems kinda significant since we're both making our livings in the creative world.

The book is called The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. There's a hard cover version and a companion soft cover workbook. I have both. I use them. If you can discipline yourself to follow its suggestions, you might be able to kick the can down the road a little farther.

I have to note as well, I have mad respect for those who are able to make it in the music game! Les is a shining example of being one of the coolest kids in the room considering his resume and accomplishments in such a difficult industry!! Not my bag, but he swings it well best I can tell!!!

I have to note as well, I have mad respect for those who are able to make it in the music game! Les is a shining example of being one of the coolest kids in the room considering his resume and accomplishments in such a difficult industry!! Not my bag, but he swings it well best I can tell!!!
Thanks! I'm not sure how accomplished I am; probably more of a singles hitter than a home run hitter. But I'll take it!

Thanks! I'm not sure how accomplished I am; probably more of a singles hitter than a home run hitter. But I'll take it!
Ah, you have made a comfortable living making music for fortune 500 corporations for decades, sounds pretty accomplished to me! And you have produce offspring with similar talents!! A notable accomplishment in and of itself!!!

My pops is like you. He draws nearly every day, even though he doesn’t have an exhibition currently planned.

Pops is 80 years old and is still motivated by his art.

He also plays some mean jazz guitar.

My pops is like you. He draws nearly every day, even though he doesn’t have an exhibition currently planned.

Pops is 80 years old and is still motivated by his art.

He also plays some mean jazz guitar.
I'll bet I could learn a lot from your dad -- no doubt, as you did!

Speaking of dudes that age...

A few years ago, my son met Paul McCartney, who's around your Dad's age. Asked what he'd recommend for staying creative, Sir Paul said, "I'm a songwriter. That's what I do. I write every day."

I guess I'm pretty much the same way, except I write instrumental music instead of songs.

The good thing about it is that writing music is all I want to do, so retirement is a concept I don't understand. :)

I'll bet I could learn a lot from your dad -- no doubt, as you did!

Speaking of dudes that age...

A few years ago, my son met Paul McCartney, who's around your Dad's age. Asked what he'd recommend for staying creative, Sir Paul said, "I'm a songwriter. That's what I do. I write every day."

I guess I'm pretty much the same way, except I write instrumental music instead of songs.

The good thing about it is that writing music is all I want to do, so retirement is a concept I don't understand. :)

Yes Les you’re so right. He has taught me so many things.

I’m so lucky to have my parents.

I thought I would post an update on this.

I have been moving in the right direction with my motivation. I have a long way to go but am seeing progress. I had something happen yesterday that really excited me and I stopped myself from just saying no.

A friend of mine has been doing fill in gigs with a band that I know. I used to be in a band with this friend. The guitar player of this band quit after my friend started filling in with them when he wasn't available. This band plays a lot. My friend did 18 gigs last month with them and has another 18 this month and this is on top of the gigs he has with the band I was in with him.

He called me last night to ask me if I would be interested in helping him do these fill in gigs because he has more than he can keep up with along with his day job. I told him to get me a song list and let me see how many of the songs I have played before that I may be able to get tuned back up on them somewhat fast. I know I won't be as fast at learning or touching them up as I was because I am out of practice but I usually bounce back on that pretty fast.

The thought of playing some gigs again actually excited me quite a bit. I have been thinking about doing it again for a while now but am not fond of the late nights every weekend along with my day job that I put a lot of hours into every week. This would allow me to pick and choose gigs and split them up with my friend. This band plays in a wide geographical area so we would be able to split the gigs up by location. Some of them are close to me and others are close to where my friend lives. We live 30 to 45 minutes away from each other.

I have no idea if this is going to end up with me playing gigs with this band but the thought of it definitely excited me. I am looking forward to learning or touching songs back up and getting the guitars in my hands on a regular basis. I have some gear that I haven't gigged with that I would love to get out and play gigs with. This could be the perfect situation to get the Kemper out and play direct. I need to figure out how to put my IEM in something along with my other wireless units to make that easy to tote around. I was looking for a half rack a couple of years ago and was not finding much. I would want a half rack power conditioner as well like a Furman. If this works out I will start looking for some of that stuff again.

Oh, bonus on this one, this band has a great sound company that they use for all of their gigs. I won't have to be the sound man on these gigs along with playing guitar like I typically end up doing. That will be nice.

I thought I would post an update on this.

I have been moving in the right direction with my motivation. I have a long way to go but am seeing progress. I had something happen yesterday that really excited me and I stopped myself from just saying no.

A friend of mine has been doing fill in gigs with a band that I know. I used to be in a band with this friend. The guitar player of this band quit after my friend started filling in with them when he wasn't available. This band plays a lot. My friend did 18 gigs last month with them and has another 18 this month and this is on top of the gigs he has with the band I was in with him.

He called me last night to ask me if I would be interested in helping him do these fill in gigs because he has more than he can keep up with along with his day job. I told him to get me a song list and let me see how many of the songs I have played before that I may be able to get tuned back up on them somewhat fast. I know I won't be as fast at learning or touching them up as I was because I am out of practice but I usually bounce back on that pretty fast.

The thought of playing some gigs again actually excited me quite a bit. I have been thinking about doing it again for a while now but am not fond of the late nights every weekend along with my day job that I put a lot of hours into every week. This would allow me to pick and choose gigs and split them up with my friend. This band plays in a wide geographical area so we would be able to split the gigs up by location. Some of them are close to me and others are close to where my friend lives. We live 30 to 45 minutes away from each other.

I have no idea if this is going to end up with me playing gigs with this band but the thought of it definitely excited me. I am looking forward to learning or touching songs back up and getting the guitars in my hands on a regular basis. I have some gear that I haven't gigged with that I would love to get out and play gigs with. This could be the perfect situation to get the Kemper out and play direct. I need to figure out how to put my IEM in something along with my other wireless units to make that easy to tote around. I was looking for a half rack a couple of years ago and was not finding much. I would want a half rack power conditioner as well like a Furman. If this works out I will start looking for some of that stuff again.

Oh, bonus on this one, this band has a great sound company that they use for all of their gigs. I won't have to be the sound man on these gigs along with playing guitar like I typically end up doing. That will be nice.
This is great news!

Back