I need help picking a guitar

rhum3

I have a HB II Piezo, best guitar I could ask for. I need a second guitar for another location. Seems silly not to have something different. I want 22 frets, vintage sound, and don't need tremolo bar. Leaning to 594, but also wondering about HB II or McCarty. Or is there something else that's so good I need to consider? Thoughts?

I have a HB II Piezo, best guitar I could ask for. I need a second guitar for another location. Seems silly not to have something different. I want 22 frets, vintage sound, and don't need tremolo bar. Leaning to 594, but also wondering about HB II or McCarty. Or is there something else that's so good I need to consider? Thoughts?
You are not wrong on your leaning... give one a shot. The Vela would be a lovely choice as well

SC58 over a 594 would be my choice, and out of the three listed I'd go McCarty. Vela is an excellent suggestion too.

Last edited:
I would ask for a little more info before I make any recommendations. Is there anything missing from that current guitar? Like, do you say to yourself, it is great for everything but I wish it could do X? What genres of music are you kickin' out? Is weight a factor for you? It is for me which is why my HBII is my daily player. If you are happy with what you have, and are not missing anything you want to do but can't with the Piezo model, I would get McCarty HBII. You can always change it up even more by swapping out the pickups if you are looking to get some different sounds than what the stock pups deliver ;~))

594 and McCarty are the obvious suggestions if you want an obviously vintage tone and a stop tail guitar. However, lots of PRS models lean toward vintage tones.

I think PRS' current video demos of each model give players a good idea of the tones that are on tap. Brian Ewald does a nice job with them.

I would recommend looking at the 594. I find my to be a very versatile guitar with many great tones in it. I honestly find many great usable tones in my HBII with Piezo guitars too. I played one of them exclusively in the last band I was in. We played a mixture of country and rock music. I was able to do all of it with that one guitar. It was great being able to have the acoustic guitar sounds along with electric guitar tones all in one guitar. My HBII guitars have 57/08 pickups in them and they are really versatile.

I would recommend looking at the 594. I find my to be a very versatile guitar with many great tones in it. I honestly find many great usable tones in my HBII with Piezo guitars too. I played one of them exclusively in the last band I was in. We played a mixture of country and rock music. I was able to do all of it with that one guitar. It was great being able to have the acoustic guitar sounds along with electric guitar tones all in one guitar. My HBII guitars have 57/08 pickups in them and they are really versatile.
Thanks for this. Is HB II with Piezo your top choice?

Thanks for this. Is HB II with Piezo your top choice?
Since you already have a HBIIP, I would probably go with the 594. One thing to know is that the neck on the 594 is different than the Pattern neck on the HBII. It is just a little larger and has a different shape to it. You will want to make sure you get along with that.

Back