Help me decide

Soilre

Hello forum friends,

I need your help deciding whether I should go for this as my next guitar. A few weeks ago, I saw a beautiful PRS Custom 22, Artist Pack made in 2001 (early second quarter) in Teal Black color. The guitar is equipped with Dragon IIs and has a Wide Fat neck.

I'd like to know if there are any known issues with this guitar, and any positive or negative feedback based on personal experiences. What would such a guitar go for, in good condition (with some dings and scratches, and moderately gigged), in the current market in your opinion?

2-4000+ is the current market range for a Custom 22 Artist depending on year and condition .. this one is at the low end at 2k ..usa list on the verb
vw3fhp0q476ztgekl44w.jpg

Hello forum friends,

I need your help deciding whether I should go for this as my next guitar. A few weeks ago, I saw a beautiful PRS Custom 22, Artist Pack made in 2001 (early second quarter) in Teal Black color. The guitar is equipped with Dragon IIs and has a Wide Fat neck.

I'd like to know if there are any known issues with this guitar, and any positive or negative feedback based on personal experiences. What would such a guitar go for, in good condition (with some dings and scratches, and moderately gigged), in the current market in your opinion?

Hello fellow guitar enthusiast!
The PRS Custom 22 Artist Pack from 2001 is indeed a remarkable piece of work and it holds a special place in the PRS lineup, especially with the Teal Black finish which you've mentioned. I've had my hands on several PRS models throughout the years, and here are my thoughts on this particular model:
Advantages:
  1. Craftsmanship: PRS is known for its meticulous attention to detail, and the Artist Pack represents some of the best of their work. The build quality is stellar.
  2. Aesthetics: The Teal Black finish is genuinely a sight to behold. It's a color that stands out and looks fantastic on stage.
  3. Pickups - Dragon II: These pickups offer a vast tonal range. From clear, chiming cleans to gritty, growling drive, you can get a plethora of sounds out of this guitar.
  4. Wide Fat Neck: For those who prefer a chunkier neck, the Wide Fat offers an excellent grip. It's especially suitable for chord work and gives a solid feel in hand.
  5. Versatility: With the combination of tonewoods and the Dragon II pickups, this guitar is versatile enough for jazz, blues, rock, and even some heavier genres.
  6. Resale Value: Older PRS models, especially those with unique finishes and attributes, often hold their value well.
Disadvantages:
  1. Weight: PRS Custom 22s, particularly those from the early 2000s, can be a bit on the heavier side, which might be a concern for some players during long gigs.
  2. Price: If purchased in mint or near-mint condition, these models can command a high price, reflecting their quality and rarity.
  3. Wide Fat Neck: While I've listed this as an advantage, it can be a double-edged sword. Players with smaller hands or those used to slimmer neck profiles might find it challenging to adapt to.
  4. Tuning Stability: While PRS generally has good tuning stability, some players have reported the need for occasional tweaks, especially after heavy bends.
In conclusion, the PRS Custom 22 Artist Pack from 2001 is a guitar that marries form and function beautifully. Like all instruments, it has its quirks, and what might be an advantage for one player could be a disadvantage for another. But there's no denying that it's a piece of art both visually and sonically. If you get a chance to play or own one, I'd say go for it!
Rock on!

This response is based on general knowledge and the known attributes of the PRS Custom 22 Artist Pack.

Gorgeous piece of wood there! Only drawback I can think of are the 5 way rotary switch. I did not like those. And maybe the dragons. Mine left my CU22 within weeks.

Ok so I dont want to hijack this thread but its a good enough place to start this
Was cruising Cu22 and came across this beauty.
Cant say as I have ever seen a Cu22 triple soapie....
Its high on my "I want it even though I don't need it' list right now
This has been my number one for the last 5 years, except with a maple board. The sound is thick, with excellent 2 & 4 quack. Then you can hit the afterburners with gain, on a single pickup. While I cycle through the others for open mikes, etc, my triple soapy is first for good gigs. And I even have an identical backup, just in case. It goes without saying that blue makes it sound better.

The Cu22 is an excellent guitar. In the PRS world bumps and bruises means it'll sit on the market for a while unless priced right, and by that I mean a good deal, a buyers deal. I'm not going to throw out numbers, we all know a good deal when we come across one.

The widefat neck profile is fantastic. One of my favs. Not too fat but not too chunk.

The D2 pickups are a divided opinion. Some love 'em some don't. I personally don't have a guitar with them to say one way or another. The neck pickup is the same as a few other models, just renamed.

Is that gold hardware? Gold hardware is another divided opinion. I personally wasn't a fan of it, but once I got my Cu24 with it. I couldn't see it any other way. To the point, I found a triple soapie Cu22 in the same finish, but with silver hardware and I just couldn't get with it.

It also has the rotary switching, which is another love hate relationship. Divided opinions. I personally don't like it, but others swear by it. Great tones come with it, but I don't like to use it.

Get a good deal and don't look back, but forward to your next PRS. They are addictive.

Back