Bit of help would be appreciated

TLOPband

I have a bit of a unique situation and I'd like some feedback. I bought a Solo Guitar double neck kit that has a telecaster setup but the second neck is a mandolin. Both necks have a telecaster pickup but I'm going to put a minihumbucker for the guitar neck so I can do coil splitting. Of course, it didn't come with a wiring diagram, and has an "import" switch, so I assume i would splice the hot wire from the mandolin's pickup into the wire between the switch and the volume pot so it would be on constantly? Putting it anywhere else doesn't seem to make sense but thought id ask. Now I will be swapping the 250k volume pot for a 500k for the minihumbucker, but will that make the mandolin Tele pickup muddy? Thanks in advance for any help. I know it isn't PRS related but thought I'd seek some help

I have a bit of a unique situation and I'd like some feedback. I bought a Solo Guitar double neck kit that has a telecaster setup but the second neck is a mandolin. Both necks have a telecaster pickup but I'm going to put a minihumbucker for the guitar neck so I can do coil splitting. Of course, it didn't come with a wiring diagram, and has an "import" switch, so I assume i would splice the hot wire from the mandolin's pickup into the wire between the switch and the volume pot so it would be on constantly? Putting it anywhere else doesn't seem to make sense but thought id ask. Now I will be swapping the 250k volume pot for a 500k for the minihumbucker, but will that make the mandolin Tele pickup muddy? Thanks in advance for any help. I know it isn't PRS related but thought I'd seek some help
Hi,

Thanks for your question. This question might best be suited for the builder's website where you purchased your kit parts. If they have a customer support department, it might make better sense if you tried there first.

Not to dissuade you, but kit builders typically work underground and behind the scenes so as not to draw attention from the massing PRS hordes which will ask you why you didn't buy a PRS originally, and what do telecasters and mandolins have to do with PRS at all.

(Just trying to save you time and effort. The alternative is try to google solo guitar builder's kits, and see what you can glean from your research.)

Sorry if this doesn't help you the way you'd hoped. This forum is relatively PRS-centric, and most other guitars are kept off the forum because of the PRS-centricity.

I did find the Solo Guitar website. They have a support page within this link you can access. I also located your guitar build kit. Their website says that they are currently working on a manual for this particular kit, so you may need to pose your question to customer support, and be specific and patient.

https://www.solomusicgear.com/product-category/diy-kits/electric-guitar-kits/

Last edited:
I would suggest witing a mini toggle on/off for each pickup . The 500 shouldn't be an issue , remember it's a variable resistor , so it isn't always 500k ohms , just at peak resistance point. There are 300 K ohm pots that are a nice option .

Switching from a 250K pot to a 500K pot will usually make a pickup brighter.

You may like it. Or you may not.

I didn't like what I heard from 500K pots with Fender style single coils when I tried it a million years ago.

Not muddier. Too much treble.

Last edited:
Don’t worry about it not being a PRS product in the General Discussion. We all have the option of not reading or responding if we are not interested.

I would put a push/pull pot in the tone or volume position and use that as the selector for which neck you were playing.

I agree, a 300k volume might be the best way to go if you are adding a humbucker to the mix.

Back