Positive Grid Mini amp.

Mike J.

Thinking of geting one. My intention would be to use it as a "learning aid" so to say. I like the idea of being able to lay down a chord progression and then jam along with it. This would come in handy when working on songs for church when I'm looking for ideas as well as for my own idea's.

I'm assuming I could hook it up to my laptop and have access to all I need. The laptop screen would be easier than trying to use my iPhone.

Also assuming if it's connected to my laptop I could use headphones plugged into the amp and be able to hear all I need.

I think it would be a handy little tool for me. Thoughts?

I have the Spark Go and carry it around in my backpack. It is nice for practice/noodling. I do not think you can run the app on your computer, but it is easy enough on the phone. You CAN hook it up to your laptop as a recording interface and feed into your DAW of choice.

I've been impressed with it, for what it is. Most of the effects are quite usable, and I found it easy to put together some presets to give me the basic tones I want.

Last edited:
I have the Spark 40 and enjoy it a lot. It's the only thing I use for playing at home anymore, plus it's great for quieter rehearsals or jam sessions. They're coming out with a powered speaker cabinet that will make any of the Sparks gigable.

The app is Android or iOS only. I find it works well enough on my phone, but would probably be a little easier on a tablet.

Thanks for the replies!

I don't know the first thing about DAW. Yeah, I know what it is but I don't have a DAW program on my laptop.

I have the Spark mini.. Best $200 I've ever spent on guitar related equipment PERIOD!!! Set that little beast in front of you and be prepared for the huge wall of sound that spews from those tiny little speaker.. lol! It's just awesome!

I also owned the spark 40 and didn't really care for it, it has a dark, flat tone that can only be cured through a EQ.. there's some tricks out there such as stuffing foam in the bass port but none of that worked for me.

Charles

I have the Spark mini.. Best $200 I've ever spent on guitar related equipment PERIOD!!! Set that little beast in front of you and be prepared for the huge wall of sound that spews from those tiny little speaker.. lol! It's just awesome!

I also owned the spark 40 and didn't really care for it, it has a dark, flat tone that can only be cured through a EQ.. there's some tricks out there such as stuffing foam in the bass port but none of that worked for me.

Charles

Thank you Charles! Sounds like it's a winner!

I got one early on. I agree that it's fun for home use. You really need a tablet to be able to make the app work well.

I got one early on. I agree that it's fun for home use. You really need a tablet to be able to make the app work well.
Thanks for the tip. Have yet to own a tablet. Might be worth looking into if not too costly.

Thank you Charles! Sounds like it's a winner!
One thing I should point out is don't let the presets that come pre installed turn you off.. IMO they suck! Go to the cloud and search for your favorite amps or artist, there are literally hundreds to choose from, once you find stuff you like you can further refine it to your liking.

Charles

One thing I should point out is don't let the presets that come pre installed turn you off.. IMO they suck! Go to the cloud and search for your favorite amps or artist, there are literally hundreds to choose from, once you find stuff you like you can further refine it to your liking.

Charles
Thanks again Charles! Good to know because I ordered one from Sweetwater about an hour ago. My rep said it could even be here by late Friday!!

As said originally, I'm really looking forward to using this to learn from. Looks like a lot to chose from for jamming purposes as well as laying down whatever progression I want to jam over.

Hoping this helps me to become a better and a more knowledgeable player.

Thanks again to all and happy Thanksgiving!

Charles

Fair point on the 40. I usually turn the bass all the way down when not using headphones.

Thanks for the tip. Have yet to own a tablet. Might be worth looking into if not too costly.
I bought a cheap Kindle Fire tablet during black Friday sale last year dirt cheap for just this purpose. It's an android tablet that Amazon ruined with their very limited selection of apps but there are ways to hack it back into a real android tablet, which I did. Then I could use the Google app store and get the Spark app, all good ever since. You really don't need something high end like an iPad, an el-cheapo android tablet works just as well for this purpose.

I have both the Spark 40 and the mini, I use the mini more because it's sitting on my desk in my office so it's always there when the spirt moves me (along with my PRS Cu24, which is also in the office). Cheap wireless set from Amazon and it's dead simple to just play or practice on a whim.

I bought a cheap Kindle Fire tablet during black Friday sale last year dirt cheap for just this purpose. It's an android tablet that Amazon ruined with their very limited selection of apps but there are ways to hack it back into a real android tablet, which I did. Then I could use the Google app store and get the Spark app, all good ever since. You really don't need something high end like an iPad, an el-cheapo android tablet works just as well for this purpose.

I have both the Spark 40 and the mini, I use the mini more because it's sitting on my desk in my office so it's always there when the spirt moves me (along with my PRS Cu24, which is also in the office). Cheap wireless set from Amazon and it's dead simple to just play or practice on a whim.
Thanks so much for the suggestion! I don't know anything about this stuff but I have one huge advantage. My son is an IT guy!
Between what's been suggested here and my sons know how about these things I'll be in good hands!

I too plan on keeping the Mini and my desk as well. Got a little spot already reserved for it next to my laptop!

I have a Yamaha THR30II. It's a great practice amp. Positive Grid has the Spark 40 for $229 with a free carry bag. I have the Spark Go and I like it a lot with all the amp and pedal settings. Positive Grid extended the sale for two days. Should I just stick with the Yamaha or go for the Spark 40.

I have a Yamaha THR30II. It's a great practice amp. Positive Grid has the Spark 40 for $229 with a free carry bag. I have the Spark Go and I like it a lot with all the amp and pedal settings. Positive Grid extended the sale for two days. Should I just stick with the Yamaha or go for the Spark 40.
I've had both. They both have strength and weaknesses. It took me longer to part with the THR and between the two I preferred the THR. Put it this way, the THR was at my house and the spark spent its time at my girlfriends. Both are solid, but the THR gets my vote.

Last edited:
My Spark Mini arrived yesterday! I was able to load the first Bluetooth connection for the amps/effects sounds no problem.
But I was having trouble getting the second BT connection going for the jam tracks. I could hear it coming from my phones speaker but not through the amp. Thanks goodness for my son! Took him a few minutes but he got it going for me.

I've just scratched the surface with this little amp but this is really cool! It's going to be a great tool for learning!

OK 2 questions about the spark go & mini

- How do they sound for clean tones for Jazz?
- Do you have to use your iPhone or can you plug straight into it?

OK 2 questions about the spark go & mini

- How do they sound for clean tones for Jazz?
- Do you have to use your iPhone or can you plug straight into it?
Regarding using the app, in the full sized Spark 40 there are an assortment of knobs for treble, bass, gain, reverb, etc plus four preset tones. Without the app you use it like a normal amp so you are limited to those knobs.

With the Spark 40 and Spark Go , they are designed to be used with the app, you can just basically pick some basic presets with one knob and raise/lower volume. If you can't / won't use the app then personally I don't think they are really worth it.

Back