Difficulty repairing finish chip on back of neck

marmatkat

Hi Folks. I'm eyeballing a used Core guitar (2010) which has a chip of finish missing from the back of the neck (see images). I haven't tried the guitar yet (it's two hours from home) but I'm assuming it'll be irritating, so I'd like to get a sense of how hard it would be for a luthier to repair this so that it's (ideally perfectly) smooth. Also, could a luthier of average skill do this, or is it a "master" level thing? Thanks!

The reality is that you "may" not even notice it. And even more so, it could become an "anchor" point if you DO notice it. One of those things that tells you where you are, by feel, as you are playing, once you get used to it.

But, any basic luthier will be able to make it feel smooth. You may could even do it yourself with filler or nail polish. A decent one could not only make it feel good.....but look good too. I would think at minimal cost.

If you like the guitar, get it. Worry about the minor stuff after you get it.

JMO

Hi Folks. I'm eyeballing a used Core guitar (2010) which has a chip of finish missing from the back of the neck (see images). I haven't tried the guitar yet (it's two hours from home) but I'm assuming it'll be irritating, so I'd like to get a sense of how hard it would be for a luthier to repair this so that it's (ideally perfectly) smooth. Also, could a luthier of average skill do this, or is it a "master" level thing? Thanks!

It can be fixed to feel smooth but there might still be witness lines. As much as I am against some modern PRS policy, I prefer nitro because it can be flawlessly repaired.

It's tough to tell from the photo, but it looks to me like the chip hasn't fallen out. If this is the case, it may be more visual than anything you can actually feel. At any rate, it wouldn't stop me from buying an otherwise nice guitar.

If it is just the finish, it shouldn't be too bad. If there is a ding in the wood there, it will need to be steamed to pull the wood back up. That isn't a huge issue but could mean a little more effort fixing the chip and it may be a slightly bigger spot to fix after steaming. It is all very doable and a competent luthier and maybe even a tech could do it.

Back