Fear Is The Mind-Killer.

Speaking of fear (on a small scale)...................................

Last Saturday, I was on stage at sound check of a well-known national recording artist. While on stage, I commented to the singer how cool I thought his guitar was. He said, "Do you play?" and I relied, "Just enough to really embarrass myself here." He handed me his guitar which was "live" at soundcheck. :eek:
The angel on my one shoulder said "Go for it dude! This is one of those once in a lifetime thingys."
But the devil on the other shoulder said, "Get real; you ain't worthy!"

The devil (partially) won. :(

I played a few open chords and a bit of pentatonic scale, and quickly handed it back. Not sure how I kept from sh*tting myself, and I acted like the guitar was burning my hands. I honestly don't even remember it ringing through the PA. :rolleyes: "The Mind killer" got me!!!

I wouldn't trade the experience, but I wish I hadn't let anxiety overcome. Later, I thought of all the riffs/songs I could have played including some of the band's music.......................................
I get shy even testing out a guitar in a store!

In front of a mic...no problem. But strangers? Yeah, I tend to get tense. I'm more confident on keys.

PS: Who wuzza artist?

OK, I'll be the first to fall on the sword...
Here's a recording we made last night at practice. A cover of the Doors - My Eyes Have Seen You
We just learned it last week. My drummer recorded it on a small Zoom handheld sitting on a chair near the rear of the dance floor.
That thing captures zero bass, so I:
1) Created 3 tracks in the DAW
2) Added a 12 band EQ to all three tracks
3) Boosted the bass on track one
4) Boosted the lead guitar a bit and panned it a little left
5) Boosted the vocal a bit and panned it slightly left.

Rendered, raw, sloppy, and obviously not serious but fun nonetheless.
Kill me now... :D

Nicely done “not” Dave.

Do Stevensville Police look favourably upon car theft?

I’ve never worried about what strangers think.
I’m pretty sure my friends wouldn’t say I sucked, but they might think “for somebody who has been playing for so long, he isn’t very good”.

I don’t think I’ll ever get good at production, in part because I’ve never tried, so all I have to offer is what happens when I pick up a guitar. I think I’m ok with that.

I think it's more difficult to be a live player. One take, for all to see. At least in the studio you can grind until you get it right. I've been to TONS of live shows and my favorite always been the ones that kill it live. I've seen quite a few that are really good in the studio, but are kind of lackluster in a live setting.

Have you ever considered recording a live album?
A live recording would take a ton of preparation to set up all of the stuff correctly to capture good tracks. I tend to practice a lot when in a gigging situation. I like the energy you feel from the audience when playing live. I have always kept it a bit loose on stage in the bands I have run. The musicians have as much fun as the audience members. We also take the songs into the improv area at times and have fun with it.

Speaking of fear (on a small scale)...................................

Last Saturday, I was on stage at sound check of a well-known national recording artist. While on stage, I commented to the singer how cool I thought his guitar was. He said, "Do you play?" and I relied, "Just enough to really embarrass myself here." He handed me his guitar which was "live" at soundcheck. :eek:
The angel on my one shoulder said "Go for it dude! This is one of those once in a lifetime thingys."
But the devil on the other shoulder said, "Get real; you ain't worthy!"

The devil (partially) won. :(

I played a few open chords and a bit of pentatonic scale, and quickly handed it back. Not sure how I kept from sh*tting myself, and I acted like the guitar was burning my hands. I honestly don't even remember it ringing through the PA. :rolleyes: "The Mind killer" got me!!!

I wouldn't trade the experience, but I wish I hadn't let anxiety overcome. Later, I thought of all the riffs/songs I could have played including some of the band's music.......................................
From reading your posts and seeing your videos over the years, I am a little surprised at this. You had no reason to let that little devil talk crap to you. You are plenty good enough to take that guitar for a spin and enjoy how it sounded through the big PA.

Back