Fear of modding...

Don’t take this the wrong way but, some folks should not work on their own instruments. Take it to a good tech and let them swap it for you. It shouldn’t cost you more than $50, maybe less than that depending on where you are.
I'm not taking this the wrong way. I think I may be one of those people.

My next project was replacing the tremolo block. After all it looked so easy in this video....

Maybe I should have someone else do it... :(

I'm not taking this the wrong way. I think I may be one of those people.

My next project was replacing the tremolo block. After all it looked so easy in this video....

Maybe I should have someone else do it... :(
The trem block is much more involved than tuners. Figure out the tuners first.

How stripped is the screw? Can you use a different screw driver to get a bite? Maybe use a rubber band in the stripped part to get better grip? Slot head screwdriver? Locking pliers? Post a pic? There's several ways to get it out before resorting to cutting or drilling it out.

Honestly, not meaning this the wrong way either, but if you can't do a tuner swap, you might want to consider a pro. Its not a tough job, and removing the screws is something you'll face more off along the way.

The trem block is much more involved than tuners. Figure out the tuners first.

How stripped is the screw? Can you use a different screw driver to get a bite? Maybe use a rubber band in the stripped part to get better grip? Slot head screwdriver? Locking pliers? Post a pic? There's several ways to get it out before resorting to cutting or drilling it out.

Honestly, not meaning this the wrong way either, but if you can't do a tuner swap, you might want to consider a pro. Its not a tough job, and removing the screws is something you'll face more off along the way.
I was kidding about doing the trem block.

This whole situation is where my fear of modding comes from. While I may be a competent guitar player (may be), I don't possess any kind of mechanical skills or facility with tools.

Locking pliers might work, but I'll have to go out and find a pair that is small enough. The head of the screw is entirely stripped. I can't get any kind of bite with any screwdrivers that I own.

I'm going to have a pro do this. I did get one of the tuners swapped, and it was pretty easy, but stripping just that one screw just kind of killed my confidence.

But as proof that I can do it...well, at least part of it...
BeD6X5f.jpg

Last edited:
I was kidding about doing the trem block.

This whole situation is where my fear of modding comes from. While I may be a competent guitar player (may be), I don't possess any kind of mechanical skills or facility with tools.

Locking pliers might work, but I'll have to go out and find a pair that is small enough. The head of the screw is entirely stripped. I can't get any kind of bite with any screwdrivers that I own.

I'm going to have a pro do this. I did get one of the tuners swapped, and it was pretty easy, but stripping just that one screw just kind of killed my confidence.
Oh good! Yes, take it to the pros. No need to go buy a tool I suggest you never use again! :D

Hey, you tried. No shame in that. I'd be a better roadie on tour than musician! But I haven't let that stop me annoying my neighbors yet..

Oh good! Yes, take it to the pros. No need to go buy a tool I suggest you never use again! :D

Hey, you tried. No shame in that. I'd be a better roadie on tour than musician! But I haven't let that stop me annoying my neighbors yet..
I do feel I should get a set of tools, though. Maybe there was a better tool for the job than the one I used, and I wouldn't have run into this situation if I'd had it. And see the picture that I edited in to one of the posts above. See...I can do it. Just not consistently. :(

I do feel I should get a set of tools, though. Maybe there was a better tool for the job than the one I used, and I wouldn't have run into this situation if I'd had it. And see the picture that I edited in to one of the posts above. See...I can do it. Just not consistently. :(
Noooo those poor tools deserve a better life! :)

I'd guess either the wrong size screw driver or it wasn't seated right. We've all stripped a screw before... mine were usually rusted on a car or motorcyle though. Lol

Noooo those poor tools deserve a better life! :)

I'd guess either the wrong size screw driver or it wasn't seated right. We've all stripped a screw before... mine were usually rusted on a car or motorcyle though. Lol
I have a snarky response, but I know that tone is often not conveyed well on the interwebs.

As in "if you can't do a tuner swap, (idiot), you might want to consider a pro. Its not a tough job...(you moron)..." ;)

Please don't take the above the wrong way...I really am kidding with you.

The easiest and lowest risk way to get a stripped screw head out is to try using a piece of rubber in between the screw head and the screwdriver to get a little extra friction.

The screws on the tuners are pretty small so you may try a single layer from a deflated balloon.

Edit to add:
Don't beat yourself up about it. I don't even want to think about all the mistakes I've made over the years as part of the learning process.

The easiest and lowest risk way to get a stripped screw head out is to try using a piece of rubber in between the screw head and the screwdriver to get a little extra friction.

The screws on the tuners are pretty small so you may try a single layer from a deflated balloon.

Edit to add:
Don't beat yourself up about it. I don't even want to think about all the mistakes I've made over the years as part of the learning process.
A balloon is a good idea..I suggested a rubber band. Something rubber to help get grip.. condom? Lol

I have a snarky response, but I know that tone is often not conveyed well on the interwebs.

As in "if you can't do a tuner swap, (idiot), you might want to consider a pro. Its not a tough job...(you moron)..." ;)

Please don't take the above the wrong way...I really am kidding with you.
Lol! It's all good man..we've all done it. You have to start somewhere. Heck, I bought a pawn shop special to learn.

Pawnshop special is great way to go. Years ago I bought the cheapest Warmoth neck I could find to use as a practice tool. Fret filing, fretboard sanding, reaming larger tuner holes, etc.

Then I switched to guitars with stainless steel frets and never actually used anything I learned, lol.

Edit to add:

I appreciate that edit. I had been beating myself up about it.

But I decided...instead of that, why not do something positive? I have another guitar that really could be setup better, so I'm going to take this opportunity to finally learn how to set it up. I mean...lots of guitarists do their own setup...how hard could it be? :p

But seriously, it'd be hard to eff something up permanently while I'm learning to do a setup.

A balloon is a good idea..I suggested a rubber band. Something rubber to help get grip.. condom? Lol

The only risk of using a condom is having to explain to your lady friend why there's one missing that she wasn't involved with.

And "I needed it for a screw on the guitar" is not going to get the understanding reaction you'd hope for.

I appreciate that edit. I had been beating myself up about it.

But I decided...instead of that, why not do something positive? I have another guitar that really could be setup better, so I'm going to take this opportunity to finally learn how to set it up. I mean...lots of guitarists do their own setup...how hard could it be? :p

But seriously, it'd be hard to eff something up permanently while I'm learning to do a setup.
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I was referring to set up and tuner changes! Take it slow, one thing at a time!! I would start experimenting first with intonation adjustments as to me, it is the most important set up adjustment in my opinion. Reason is, the other stuff (string height, bow of neck) are more about feel rather than tone. Don't be shy about adjusting pickup height either. You would be amazed at how much a 1/4 turn on the pickup height screws can change the sound of the outputs and are easy to undo!

I was referring to set up and tuner changes! Take it slow, one thing at a time!! I would start experimenting first with intonation adjustments as to me, it is the most important set up adjustment in my opinion. Reason is, the other stuff (string height, bow of neck) are more about feel rather than tone. Don't be shy about adjusting pickup height either. You would be amazed at how much a 1/4 turn on the pickup height screws can change the sound of the outputs and are easy to undo!
Sorry, I forgot the grinning emoji in my last reply. I was sure you were being supportive, and I was just trying to be funny. Thanks!

EDIT: Now I see your reaction to my last reply. Of course, you knew I was joking. :rolleyes:

The only risk of using a condom is having to explain to your lady friend why there's one missing that she wasn't involved with.

And "I needed it for a screw on the guitar" is not going to get the understanding reaction you'd hope for.
I imagine telling my wife, honey, I need to buy condoms for my guitar! lol

Back