594 Locking Tuners

chrisg_sdcf

I've been reading through posts for the last few days and it looks like PRS Vintage locking tuners and the phase 3 locking tuners both fit the S2 594 McCarty. I know that if I switch to phase 3 tuners I will see an imprint of the vintage tuners in the nitro finish. For that reason I'm leaning towards leaving mine the way it is or swapping in vintage locking tuners.

My question is, do the phase 3 tuners work better? Or feel better? Or does it mostly come down to what you think looks best? (Ive only owned the S2 594 McCarty double cut so I have no experience with other PRS tuners).

33-F13251-808-D-4265-A216-DBCFFD9855-D1.jpg

I have locking kluson style on my McCarty.

They work well and I like them. Got them from John Mann.

Honestly, I have phase 1, 2, 3 and vintage lockers. They all work great and I really don't have a preference

No.. those are stock SE screws, probably wouldn’t hurt to use slightly longer screws but the tuners seem very solid and I wanted to be able to change back to stock without any problems.

these are the plates.. LP version

Charles
Thank you. Looks great

Are you asking about Phase III(modern) vs Phase III(vintage)?

No. There were also Phase III "Tweaked". The collar on the tweaked knob is locked in place with a set screw from the side and doesn't compress the worm gear.

With the regular phase III tuners, the collar was held on by the knob screw and compressed the worm gear.

The tuners in your picture have a set screw so I assumed they were the Tweaked phase III knobs. I was just wondering if they were really better than the regular (non vintage) phase III knobs and if you/others preferred the tweaked or non tweaked phase III's.

No. There were also Phase III "Tweaked". The collar on the tweaked knob is locked in place with a set screw from the side and doesn't compress the worm gear.

With the regular phase III tuners, the collar was held on by the knob screw and compressed the worm gear.

The tuners in your picture have a set screw so I assumed they were the Tweaked phase III knobs. I was just wondering if they were really better than the regular (non vintage) phase III knobs and if you/others preferred the tweaked or non tweaked phase III's.
Thanks for explaining. I'm a PRS neophyte...
I didn't realize there were two different modern Phase IIIs.

Is version 1 still made?

Thanks for explaining. I'm a PRS neophyte...
I didn't realize there were two different modern Phase IIIs.

Is version 1 still made?

I'm new to PRS as well. I've just spent too much time trying to figure out which tuners I want and looking through old posts. Found both the Tweaked phase III and regular Phase III in the color I want but don't know if one is actually better than the other.

Probably really doesn't matter. I get hung up on little details. Should just be playing the guitar.

I'm new to PRS as well. I've just spent too much time trying to figure out which tuners I want and looking through old posts. Found both the Tweaked phase III and regular Phase III in the color I want but don't know if one is actually better than the other.

Probably really doesn't matter. I get hung up on little details. Should just be playing the guitar.
No shame in being a gear geek...

Considering what I paid for my 3 SEs, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on Phase IIIs. IMO, if you don't ream for the proper bushings and countersink the keyholes, what's the point. This is something I do not want to attempt, in fear of the finish lifting with bushing removal.

I have Gotoh SD-90-MGs on my SE-594SC and Kluson Revolutions on my SE-Zach Myers. I am more than satisfied with them.
Gotoh SD-510s are solid choice too; tier above SD-90s

No shame in being a gear geek...

Considering what I paid for my 3 SEs, I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of coin on Phase IIIs. IMO, if you don't ream for the proper bushings and countersink the keyholes, what's the point. This is something I do not want to attempt, in fear of the finish lifting with bushing removal.

I have Gotoh SD-90-MGs on my SE-594SC and Kluson Revolutions on my SE-Zach Myers. I am more than satisfied with them.
Gotoh SD-510s are solid choice too; tier above SD-90s
Lol...and then I turn around and blow $70 on tuner knobs. The current minis just look and feel 'wrong'.
20240125-155843.jpg

I don't think the tweaked version were any better/worse than the original. I've had both, and have never had a problem with either. I do recall someone posting about an issue with the tweaked version, but I can't recall exactly what it was.

Back