McCarty 594 tuners - Should I swap?

Do I keep stock or swap to locking tuners?

• Keep stock - vintage style non locking

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Fit PRS vintage style locking tuners

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
This will change the break angle of the string behind the nut if the shaft ends up sitting shorter in the header. Not sure if that would matter on a 594, though. Crafty!
@5Springer
C05-D9991-420-F-415-B-8861-671-BFF793626.jpg

I'm sticking with the stock vintage styles. Tuning stability is outstanding. I don't care if string changes take longer. Because Paul may not always be right...But he's never wrong!

Where did you get the plates for those tuners ??
Here I guess...

Where did you get the plates for those tuners ??
Not my guitar...
I can get those plates at my local music store for $6.42/nickel or $19.78/gold.
Any online place that sells Graphtech tuners will probably have them.

Last edited:
I like the non-locking vintage tuners on my 594 guitars. I think a set of the NF 53 vintage tuners would look good on a 594 too.

I get the draw to a vintage style guitar like the 594. It’s on my bucket list to get a 594 and / or a Nik Huber. The classic appointments of wood selection, construction, and finish all appeal to me. But if / when I get these guitar(s) they’ll have modern style locking tuners. I have 4 PRS guitars - all with locking tuners. I’m getting old and spoiled now. I want to have locking tuners on all my guitars now.

I was one of those who complained that the 594 didn't come with locking tuners. Several years later the stock tuners are still there. Although I'd still prefer that it came with the locking units, the regular ones haven't bothered me enough to change them. They are good quality tuners that work well, even if they require a couple of extra seconds when changing strings.

But if they bother you, by all means, change them up!

You can change tuner buttons
Yeah, but those are the style that are retained with a screw, so the Kluson style stock white buttons won't work, and I can't find compatible brass knobs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?

Yeah, but those are the style that are retained with a screw, so the Kluson style stock white buttons won't work, and I can't find compatible brass knobs. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?
They're both out there. I used the PRS bone phase 3 buttons on my SC58 and love them. There's tulip ones out there too. My Cu24 has the gold prs buttons.

I'd keep them. I have a 594 with non locking tuners and use to have one with locking tuners, and they made no difference at all in terms of tuning stability. I actually prefer the look of the non locking tuners. Sure, its a tiny bit faster to change strings with locking tuners, but if you're proficient at string changes or have the right tools, it may save you only like a few mins.

Back