594 Tuners

Ruxster

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up a gorgeous McCarty 594 10 Top tomorrow. I'm just curious how you find the new vintage style tuners on them. I always prefer locking tuners so I'm curious what your experiences have been on these.

My experience was short…. I swapped them for vintage locking tuners in less than 2 weeks. Not my cup of tea. They just did not work for me. It had nothing to do with tuning stability, it was all about the ease of string change with locking tuners. Good luck.

I got a 2021 594 hollowbody, and like @xxxadixxx I got vintage lockers. Same reason for me. The string change is just way better.
Nothing wrong with the stock tuners from a quality/stability perspective, but for me lockers are where it's at.

I agree here as well. I have both versions, but the lockers make for easier string changed. The vintage style are at least sturdier than some others like them, though.

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up a gorgeous McCarty 594 10 Top tomorrow. I'm just curious how you find the new vintage style tuners on them. I always prefer locking tuners so I'm curious what your experiences have been on these.
They both work, but locking tuners are always better. I can't hear the difference. Blessings on those who can.

I put a set of Phase III on one of mine. There was an imprint in the nitro on the back of the headstock from the vintage style non-lockers. On my Joe Walsh Ltd, I put on a set of the PRS Vintage style lockers. I'm just too lazy when it comes to string changes to leave the non lockers on.

I put a set of Phase III on one of mine. There was an imprint in the nitro on the back of the headstock from the vintage style non-lockers. On my Joe Walsh Ltd, I put on a set of the PRS Vintage style lockers. I'm just too lazy when it comes to string changes to leave the non lockers on.
Slap this with phase III’s. Problem will be solved of seeing the old imprints. Or get the vintage locking tuners from PRS for $110.

And I’ll say ain’t nothing wrong with vintage kluson revolutions G mounts. They hold tune great. I don’t appreciate neck diving. And I think sound fine even if they aren’t brass shaft. I believe they are steel (but don’t quote me in that). They look better from the front than the PRS thumb screws. But the huge thumbwheel on the back does not fit the old school 594 vibe if that matters for you.

As far as lockers go I can take 'em or leave 'em. I rather enjoy doing a nice job of a string change with the vintage type of tuners and they look better without the thumb wheels on the back or the black locking screws on the front. Tuning stability has never been an issue even on strats with safety post tuners.

Mine came with Phase III locking tuners. If it had the vintage tuners on it, I am not sure if I would change them. I can work with either. I prefer locking tuners for string changes. Since there are some locking tuners available that look like the vintage tuners, I would definitely consider it and probably would go to those.

If the tuners aren’t locking due to vintage spec, why isn’t the nut bone in s2 and SE?

Yeah but like have it one way or the other if you’re gonna do vintage spec do vintage spec if you’re going to make modern appointments do that idk it just feels like they made a lot of compromises and considering price hikes there just seems to be less and less value in S2 line especially.

Back